DGB Health & Safety Solutions - presents a powerpoint presentation on Environmental KPI's. The presentation sets out areas of environmental consideration and alternatives as well as improving brand
DGB Health & Safety Solutions - presents a powerpoint presentation on Environmental KPI's. The presentation sets out areas of environmental consideration and alternatives as well as improving brand awareness.
How does your company measure its Environmental performance?
As our plant shows ever increasing signs of adverse weather,
pressure groups and the government challenge industry to be
more responsible there are many ways companies can
monitor their operations to meet Environmental targets –
This presentation outlines a few examples.
Incident frequencies – there is no such thing as a risk free
environment however what we learn from such
occurrences and how we shape policy to reduce the
likelihood is essential.
Near miss frequencies - this is our barometer particularly
if there are a significant number of similar near misses.
• Can the process be eliminated and done more safely?
• Check your risk assessment and method statements.
• Talk to workers and supervisors.
• Check training is current.
Environmental KPI’s (cont)
Emissions to the atmosphere – dust, noise, heat, effluent etc
• Is machinery on a PMP and documentation held?
• Are low vibration tooling used, shock absorbent enclosures used?
• Is dust extracted and recycled, are LEV’s on PMP (14 months)?
• Is heat where possible recycled into other processes?
• Are COSHH products necessary or a safe as possible?
Discharges of surface water or sewer
• What emergency plans are in place to reduce environmental
impact? (lagoons, bunding, waste containers , access to emergency
services, staff training and simulation exercises)
• Noise assessments, asbestos surveys, dust assessments etc.
Waste generation and recycling rates –
• Are you using raw material from sustainable sources and where
possible locally produced to reduce transport emissions?
• Is waste kept to a minimum and where possible used for other
• Are recycled products used rather than raw materials?
• Are products on site and stock levels kept to a minimum?
• Site Waste Management Plans.
• Are regular audit, full or segment areas conducted and
documented? (Are scoring systems deployed)?
• Are there robust complaints procedures?
• How are complaints dealt with – investigation, recording findings,
reviewing control measures, talking to local pressure groups,
toolbox talks with staff etc?
• Are neighbours consulted and staff of changing work practices?
• Are local projects commissioned ie: tree planting, nature reserves –
great for brand awareness!
Possible Alternatives –
ISO 14001 – Environmental
ISO 9001 – Quality
OHSAS 18001 – Health & Safety
Investors in People