1. Follow the contentHow the news spreads throughout the social media Paul Gesiak @DataSift DataSift.com
2. What is Social Media?...
3. 50 Definitions of Social Media: http://thesocialmediaguide.com/social_media/50-definitions-of-social-media- About.com – Media is an instrument on communication, like a newspaper or a radio, so social media would - Marta Kagan -What is Social Media (presentation)be a social instrument of communication - Michelle Digital – Social media is life online- Affilorama - Social media is content created and shared by individuals on the web using freely available - One Zero One – Social Media, by definition, is the collection of strategies, practices and tools forwebsites that allow users to create and post their own images, video and text information and then share that communicating, creating, sharing and discussing news, information and other media onlinewith either the entire internet or just a select group of friends - Online Schools – Social media is technically a means for social interaction through the web- AG Communications Group – Social media essentially is a category of online media where people aretalking, participating, sharing, networking, and bookmarking online - Optimize Your Web Presence – Social media are online venues, such as social networking sites, blogs and- Answers.com – The online forms of communicating to the masses, which include blogs, microblogs, social wikis that enable people to store and share information called content, such as text, pictures, video and linksnetworking sites and podcasts - Orange Soda – Social media is about interacting with and sharing information with others online- BlackBox Social Media – Social media is any online media platform that provides content for users and also - ProPR – Social media are online communications in which individuals shift fluidly and flexibly between theallows users to participate in the creation or development of the content in some way role of audience and author. To do this, they use social software that enables anyone without knowledge of- Briancee - Social Media is the sharing of user (human) created information and interacting on-line using coding, to post, comment on, share or mash up content and to form communities around shared interestsInternet technology - Radian6 - Social media is game changing, not a closed system, not just another media, transparent, more- Brian Solis – Social Media is the democratization of information, transforming people from content readersinto publishers. It is the shift from a broadcast mechanism, one-to-many, to a many-to-many model, rooted in than blogs, decentralized and real-time and measurableconversations between authors, people, and peers - Rapid Learning Life – What is Social Media? In Simple English- Common Craft – Social media in plain English (video) - Relationship Economy – Social media is communications- CubixDev - Social Media is the new term for socialising online. It allows people to freely interact with each - Scobleizer - Internet media that has the ability to interact with it in some wayother online where-ever they are and whenever they want - Search Engine Land – Social media itself is a catch-all term for sites that may provide radically different- Daily Blog Tips - Social media are the various forms of user generated content and the collection of social actionswebsites and applications that enables people to interact and share information online - SEO Zodiac – Social Media is simply people having conversations online- Duct Tape Marketing – Social media is the use of technology combined with social interaction to create orco-create value - Social Media Optimization Services – Social media is people meeting other people- Fresh Networks – Social media is people having conversations online. These conversations can take a - Social Media Vision – Simply refers to communication/publication platforms which are generated andvariety of forms; for example, blogs and comments or photo sharing sustained by the interpersonal interaction of individuals through the specific medium or tool- Get a Social Boost – Digital word of mouth - Squidoo - Social media also includes social networks that insist on people to come together online that- Harish Dabasia – Social media is people having conversations online shares a common interest- Health is Social – Social Media is the meeting place between people and technology - Tech ER – Media is an instrument of communication, like a newspaper or a radio, so social media would be- Hudson Horizons – Social Media is often used as another term for user-generated content- iContact - An umbrella term that defines the various activities that integrate technology, social interaction, a social instrument of communicationand the construction of words and pictures - Telezent - Social media explained visually (presentation)- Integrasco – Social media explained (video) - The Financial Brand – Social media isn’t about the media, it’s about being social- Investopedia – Internet-based software and interfaces that allow individuals to interact with one another, - The Social Election – Social media is people talking to people onlineexchanging details about their lives such as biographical data, professional information, personal photos and - Tjongolongo - Social Media is word of mouth on steroidsup-to-the-minute thought - Web1Marketing - Social Media consists of media that support and encourage social interaction among user- Just Ask Kim – Social media is any media form that displays itself to an open public and encourages - Webgeekly - Social Media is generally any website or service that uses Web 2.0 techniques and conceptsinteraction between the host and all observers- Kyle David Group – Social media is the technological path of least resistance for two-way communication - Webopedia – A term used to describe a variety of Web-based platforms, applications and technologies thatand distribution through a large audience who would otherwise be unconnected if it were not for the enable people to socially interact with one another onlinetechnological medium - Wikipedia - Social media are media for social interaction, using highly accessible and scalable publishing- Luke Hayes – Social media is a group of Internet-based applications that allow the creation and exchange techniquesof user generated content. This content is then shared through social interaction - WiseGeek - Social media mainly consists of user-generated Internet content- Mahalo - Social media is content created by people using highly accessible and scalable publishingtechnologies. At its most basic sense, social media is a shift in how people discover, read and share news,information and content
5. Marshall McLuhan" Global village " The Gutenberg Galaxy (1962)
6. " The medium is the message " M. McLuhan, Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man (1964)
7. ~ 250 mln daily ~ 10 mln hourly ~ 3000 / sec what is it all about ?...
8. Top words(based on 1% random sample)
9. The most popular content topics (based on 1% random sample)
10. The most mentioned users (based on 1% random sample)
11. Top domains (based on 1% random sample)
12. TV show
13. tv showTop Boy is a British television dramaseries, which was first broadcast onChannel 4.The four episodes were broadcastover consecutive nights, from 31October to 3 November 2011.Set on the fictional Summerhousehousing estate in Hackney, NorthLondon,The series follows the lives of agroup of criminals involved in drugdealing and street gangs.
14. tv show
15. RIM CEOs resignation
16. RIM CEOs resignation news event in social media network Graph representing pattern of social media activity generated around RIM Ltd. Time: -1 hour Sunday night Low level of activity
17. RIM CEOs resignation news event in social media network Graph representing pattern of social media activity generated around RIM Ltd. Time: 0 hour News breaks out Information spreads trough the network
18. RIM CEOs resignation news event in social media network Graph representing pattern of social media activity generated around RIM Ltd. Time: +1 hour Comments and reactions to the news
19. RIM CEOs resignationRIM social media content (1-hour time frame) RIM has announced on their website that its 2 CEOs are resigning. The news broke on Sunday Jim Balsillie and evening and generated Mike Lazaridis, large spike of social media the co-CEOs of activity (over 400 posts an Research in Motion, hour = 1 every 10 sec). announced their resignation. The first reaction has been overwhelmingly negative (sharp spike of negative sentiment (red line)).
20. RIM CEOs resignationRIM social media content (1-hour time frame) Lets focus closer on the period between Sunday afternoon and Monday morning, when the market Jim Balsillie and opens. Mike Lazaridis, the co-CEOs of Research in Motion, announced their resignation.
21. RIM CEOs resignationRIM social media content (15-min time frame) By increasing the temporal resolution from 1h to 15 min time frame we can see more details of the event. The traffic picked up just after RIM announced the news on the 9pm Sunday ECT (which is 2am Monday UCT, as shown on the plot). The high level of interest lasts for an hour or so, then declines over night, to increase in New York Stock Exchange pre-market hours on Monday morning.
22. RIM CEOs resignationRIM social media content (15-min time frame) Lets see what happened on the NYSE floor in the first hour of trading on Monday morning (09:30ECT/14: 30UCT)
23. RIM CEOs resignationRIM social media content (15-min time frame) Period to focus on.
24. RIM CEOs resignationRIM social media content (5-min time frame) Increasing time intervals to 5 min frames. The RIM stock opens on Monday significantly below the Friday close price level and keep falling in the first 20 min. It is rather predictable, considering the nature of the news and the sentiment of comments from previous evening. However, the sentiment of social media content switches to positive value around 14:45(09:45 ECT), despite price still falling. 5 min latter the stock price reaches the support level at 15.88. This level is tested again after 15:20 and holds, as the sentiment of social media content remain positive.
25. RIM CEOs resignation Data aggregation Conclusion: By analysing a flow of the social media content we gain two interesting pieces of information.1. We can see immediately what is the crowd reaction for the news. a) The significance of the news event is proportional to the spike of traffic generated. b) The difference between positive and negative sentiment indicates if the reaction to the news is positive, negative or indifferent.2. An increase of positive sentiment preceded the moment when a stock price had stopped falling and reacheda support level. a) Did the market decide at this point, that the price has been discounted enough? Certainly the sentiment of the social media content could suggest so. b) Looking at the Monday morning chart we can see that the sentiment level of social media content being an interesting indicator showing emotions of the crowd. Furthermore, this information can be traced using very short time frames (even 5 min).
26. Dow JonesSocial media content analysis Dow Jones 2012-01-17 (15-min time frame) The social media content can be used as an indicator of Dow Jones Industrial Average price. In this example rapid increase in traffic associated with a negative sentiment precedes directly a drop in price by 50 points.
27. Facebook IPO
28. Facebook IPO Social media content analysisSummaryDataSift recorded 172559 interactionsgenerated by 90680 unique authors, over aperiod of 5 days. The start date was 2012-01-28 23:25:17 GMT and the end date was 2012-02-03 09:59:54 GMT. During this period werecorded an average of 1322 interactions perhour; however this number fluctuated from aslittle as 15per hour on the 2012-01-28 23:00:00GMT up to the peak of 16487 interactions perhour recorded on the 2012-02-01 22:00:00GMT.
29. Facebook IPO Sentiment Sentiment Sentiment score* has been calculated for 89.7% of all posts. In this group distribution of positive, negative and neutral posts is as follows: 71.5% neutral 22% positive 6.5% negative * Sentiment detection augmentation identifies the emotive phrases within a document, scores these phrases and then combines them to discern the overall sentiment of the sentence.
30. Facebook IPO WordsNeutral Positive Negative
31. Facebook IPO Gender Who Tweeted? The DataSift built-in augmentation indicated authors gender for 51.83% of all posts. The male/female proportion in this sub-set is as follows: 26.3% female 73.7% male
32. Facebook IPO Language Which languages did they use? We have identified languages used in 99.96% of all posts. The most frequently occurring languages were: English (90.93%) Portuguese (2.28%) Italian (1.45%) Russian (1.14%)
33. Facebook IPO The most popular linksResonance: Detected_at: Potential reach: Links:1844 2012-02-01 21:49 5428127 Facebook Files for its IPO BREAKING1420 2012-01-31 22:15 9675442 Facebook to File for $5B IPO on Wednesday1357 2012-01-31 17:23 9470277 Facebook IPO: The Numbers Behind the Worlds Most Valuable Social Network INFOGRAPHIC1277 2012-02-01 21:50 10626912 Facebook Files for its IPO BREAKING1096 2012-01-31 21:37 7524342 Facebook to file for $5 billion IPO Wednesday: report| Reuters998 2012-02-02 02:45 9102607 Facebook IPO: The Social Web Reacts982 2012-02-03 00:35 8453363 10 Standout Quotes in Mark Zuckerbergs Facebook IPO Letter945 2012-02-02 14:58 8991550 Facebook IPO: Not It?s Not Groundhog Day for the Bubble847 2012-02-02 19:12 2455215 The IPO Wont Change Facebook. Online Ads Will833 2012-01-31 16:40 10352641 Facebook to Turn 8 on Heels of IPO Announcement824 2012-02-02 00:19 7989778 Facebook IPO: The Critical Stats PICS815 2012-02-01 21:58 2252412 Facebook Files for IPO - WSJ.com807 2012-02-01 21:55 9763149 Facebook IPO filing: Plans to raise $5 billion - Feb. 1, 2012796 2012-02-02 02:02 4818001 What a Facebook IPO means for Silicon Valley ? Tech News and Analysis791 2012-02-01 17:35 2998998 The Real Facebook IPO Winners? Sean Parker And Bono - Forbes788 2012-01-30 21:08 12839414 Facebooks Road to IPO761 2012-02-01 22:31 2305821 Facebook IPO Reveals How It Makes Money729 2012-02-01 22:09 4001872 Zuckerberg IPO Haul Could Top $28 Billion - WSJ.com728 2012-02-03 02:39 7624964 Facebook IPO: How Will the Social Network Be Affected? POLL724 2012-02-01 22:15 6060554 Facebook IPO Crashes SEC Website | TechCrunch718 2012-02-01 13:20 7373295 Today?s Top Stories: Facebook IPO, Kazuo Hirai New Sony CEO
34. Facebook IPOSocial media content analysis
35. Jedi on TwitterDaily content aggregated by prof. position