Content marketing an efficient seo & social media strategy
The most efficient Social Media and SEO strategy
by Vania Benavides, Vabulous Media
What Social Media IS
It is a communication platform on which to form connections/Relationships
❖ Listening/storytelling/inspiring, etc.
❖ It’s where you can engage with your customers and appreciate them – It’s
❖ It is a place to research your market
❖ It’s a place to share your passion
❖ A process – research, strategy, engagement, campaign, goals, ROI
❖ About Integrating with all business processes
❖ About ongoing engagement/two-way dialogue
❖ About slow & steady ROI
❖ A requirement of resources (time, people, and money
What Social Media IS NOT
An overnight solution/quick fix
A replacement or stand-alone
Something you set & forget
A form of one-way communication
About immediate ROI
It’s not a place to ignore people who mention your brand, be it good or
First step: What is your goal?
Most people are on a few different social networks,
but some use one network over another.
Establish what your goal is in using social media:
Awareness/advertising/marketing -getting clients
Who is your target market?
Facebook – The 45- to 54-year-old age bracket has seen 45% growth since
• 73% with incomes above $75,000 are on Facebook
Instagram: 68% percent of Instagram's users are women.
Twitter: Used by 27% of 18 to 29-year-olds in the U.S
16% of 30-40 year olds.
LinkedIn is B2B, professionals, 25-64, $50k+, College Grads
Google+ is the most male-oriented of the major social networks. It's 70%male
Pinterest is dominated by tablet users; 84% of U.S. Pinterest users are women.
2nd step: Strategy Development
❖ Think about your goals
❖ Pick a few channels (social networks of delivery)
❖ Define a theme for your content
❖ Define frequency of content creation versus sharing third-party
❖ Define how you will deliver content—i.e., as eBooks, Blogs,
❖ Showcase your expertise
❖ Promote your networks consistently
What Does it look like?
Blogs are one of the best ways to provide content online.
In addition to blogs, content marketing exists in other forms:
What to write about
Four strategies to inspire you to develop content:
• Study Your Audience.
• Create Customer Persona.
• Align Content to the Sales Cycle.
• Optimize Content for Search Engines
Study Your Audience
When creating a customer profile, ask yourself questions that identify
needs and interests:
● What are the customer’s values?
● What motivates them?
● What are their daily and long term goals?
● What problems are they trying to solve?
● What industries do they work in?
● Where do they spend time online?
● What search terms would they use?
● What headlines would they respond to?
● Can you best reach them through blogs, videos, social media, free downloads or
Create Customer Persona
Identify the most common buyers for your products and
What are their pain points?
How does your product or service solve that problem?
How does that problem affect their day to day life?
Key SEO Concepts
Get more exposure and more sales with these steps
• Research common keyword phrases that people type into
search engines to find your business
• Analyze your competitors
• Integrate search keywords into content
• Make your content more attractive
• If you sell local services - focus on local SEO
• Use Google's Social Platform to boost your presence
Tools to Research Keywords
What are people searching for when they want your products or services?
• Use Google analytics data from your website
• Use Google Adwords Keyword Planner -must have a google account and sign
up to Google Adwords to use
• Bing Keyword Tool
• Alexa.com see what queries (search phrases) are coming in to your
• SEMRUSH to research your competitors
Use Google's Suggest Algorithm for
● Suggest offers which allow you real-time suggestions to complete your
search query as you type; you can get ideas from this presentation about the
popularity of a search.
● One of the factors in the algorithm that determines the results is the overall
popularity of searches by other users.
● Also, check Google's Related Search Algorithm
○ To search for web pages that have similar content to a given site, type
“related:” followed by the website address into the Google search box.
○ Reference the next slide for screen shot of search phrase "SEO Services
in Santa Cruz" with related search results
Sell yourself on your search engine
Use meta titles and meta descriptions to sell
Meta Tag Description Tips
• The description should make sense to your reader.
• It should reinforce your title tag:
o confusion will reign if your description is saying
something that has nothing to do with your title tag,
and the searcher will pass you over.
• Include your brand to increase brand awareness and
help show trustworthiness
Integrating Keywords in Your Content
• 2-3X on short pages and use variations.
• 4-6X on longer ones, and never more than makes sense in the
context of the copy.
• Load the heading of the page with the keyword being targeted.
• Mention the keyword within the first paragraph.
• Depending on the length of the page, add keywords at selected
intervals throughout the text.
• The key is to make it seem natural to the page.
Key Points to Enhance Titles
• Make your title compelling to increase click-throughs.
• Focus on a primary keyword and if you can work one in,
use a second or third keyword.
• Make sure your primary keyword is relevant to the
content on your page.
o You'll lose ranking if there's no relevance and people
leave your site.
Make Your Content More Attractive
• Use a photo or image
to grab reader
• Have quote form,
or button as a call to
• A video may be used
to help user
Facebook – most used, edgerank
Google+ – Circles, #discussion, Business Pages/Google
Twitter – #discussions, mentions
Linkedin – Groups & Company Pages
Pinterest – Tag your images, add descriptions
Instagram – Use #hashtags and feed to twitter/fb
Don’t have followers?
out and start building connections
❖ Follow on twitter, join in on #discussions
❖ Network with other businesses on Facebook,
Linkedin, Twitter, Google+
❖ Launch some ads on facebook & twitter
Add people to your circles on Google+
Listen, research, share, engage
DON’T FORGET THEM
Use social media to monitor conversations
about your band
Make sure you ‘appreciate’ them –
as they will be your brand advocates
Social media basics
Cross promote your social profiles
Make sure social profiles are complete
Follow your followers back
Use your brand ‘voice’ or attitude
Always respond as soon as you can
Engage, Engage, Engage
YOU/YOUR brand must engage with others
This is the hardest but most important part
❖ See what they are posting and respond accordingly
❖ Use your brand’s personality, not yours
❖ What do you want people to remember?
❖ Join #discussions, #industrytopics, #funtopics
5 Companies that rock at Social Media
Dell – monitors & identifies customer service issues and brand
Morton’s Steakhouse – has videos, delivered steak to social media
influencer after flight
Unisys uses #hashtags to allow employees to offer expertise though
Best Buy – lots of #discussions from employees to customers
Old Spice – Viral Videos
Sources: PRDaily.com, fastcodesign.com
Develop a content strategy
Create a customer persona
Align content to your sales cycle
Include calls to action.
Sprinkles keyphrases into titles, metas, content
Integrate social updates into content marketing
o Google favors Google+ posts, Pinterest pins also SEO
o Network on Google+, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin