1. Sherpas on the DigitalMountain: The NewPedagogy of theDecentralizedWriting ClassroomStudent-led Curriculum
2. Where to startStudent-led Curriculum
3. Student Choices• Do we want to lead the curriculum?o What does this mean?o How does it affect our learning?
4. Student Choices• Should this course be a service-learning course?o What types of service should we use?o Why is this important?
5. Student Choices• Should technology be used?o What technology to use?o How to use technology?
6. Student Decisions• Students were excited about leadingthe curriculum?o What does this mean?§ It put more of their success or failure in their ownhandso How does it affect our learning?§ They had to take an active role in learning for thewhole class, not just themselves.
7. Student Decisions• Students were most excited aboutcreating a service-learning course.o What types of service should we use?§ Students chose volunteer organizations overindustry.o Why is this important?§ Students wanted to give back to the community.
8. Student Decisions• Students chose to use social mediao What technology to use?§ Students used Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, andWixo How to use technology?§ This differed in the groups
9. Outcomes• Students reflected on the processthroughout.• Students still engage in the socialmedia of choice.• Students continue to comment aboutthe course (1 1/2 years later)
10. Questions?• About Me: http://about.me/darmfield(links to all of my profiles)