Source: Flickr user ucumari
O Source: Flickr user smitag4
B Is a
receiving half of
their donations by
$27m by 1/19
Characteristics of Social Media
The Term “Social Media” refers to online tools (web sites) that depend
on user contributions and interactions between people to build shared
meaning and value. It is:
• Participatory: It blurs the line between producer and consumer,
media and audience.
• Open and Democratic: It encourages voting, comments and the
sharing of information. For this reason it is seen as authentic and
• Conversational: Two (or more) way conversation rather than one-
directional broadcast. Is personal, specific, and engaging.
• Communal: Supports formation, growth and strength of communities
around a particular shared interest.
• Connected: Thrives on being connected, making use of links to other
sites, resources and people, rather than being territorial and
It’s a Tool
Success of the tool is if
it helps you achieve
Thus, critical to know
your goals and then
tool(s) to used in
1. PEOPLE: Identify audience(s)
– What are you goals and
objectives for this audience?
– What are your audience’s
3. What is the STRATEGY to reach
4. Determine the specifics of the
TECHNOLOGIES you’ll use.
Implement, measure, refine!
A Tool Can Be A Game Changer
Traditional Media Social Media
Brand in control Audience in control
One way / Deliver msg Two way / Conversation
Repeat message Adapt the message
Focused on the brand Focused on the audience
Educating Influencing, Involving
Org creates content User and co-created
How are you adapting?
HOW TO LISTEN
Who’s talking about you?
Who’s talking about your field?
What’s most important to your audience?
Breadth, Depth, Reach
Influencers Are you on their radar?
What will they pass on?
Staffing Who is listening?
How do they respond?
What are they learning?
How do they pass on info?
• Identify Keywords
• Key people’s names, URLs, related
organizations, grantees, industry
• Identify Key Influencers
• Who is sharing info on your industry
• Who is connected to the Begin
audiences you want to engage with
• Who are your online mavens and
connectors (internal and external)
• Set up tools, people, communication
SocialFish offers Listening Audits
Social Content is Social Capital
• Social Capital is the value
of the connections
between and among
social networks for
and locating desired
• Content should be
• 1:12 or 1:20 ratio
Invite User Generated Content
• CNN iReport
• Tags in Flickr,
• Crowdsource by
• Guest bloggers
• Hashtags on
Use Your Outposts!
Get out and socialize. Add value. Connect.
What is BUZZ?
What is VIRAL?
Lead Up To Events or Campaigns
• Energize - Sixth
and I tent video
• Empower others
to spread the
walking the walk.
• Use your
Use Multiple Channels
Blog Beth Kanter is 53
475 Tweets with the #beth53
66 blog posts (others)
2047 clicks on the link
40% new donors
8 years -- guess total raised?
Source: Flickr user Rick Neves
Source: Flickr user divemasterking2000
Review of 5 Stages
• Tools e.g. Google Alerts and blog readers
• Who will be listening?
• Internal communications, tracking
• Find places to engage (influencers, blogs, conversations)
• Add value
• Be human
3. USING SOCIAL CONTENT
• Create content for social uses
• Invite others’ voices
• Create structures for conversations around your mission
4. GENERATING BUZZ
• Find your voice
• Build relationships with key energizers
• Use multiple channels
5. COMMUNITY BUILDING
• Cooperative pursuit of your mission
• Empower your community and collaborate with them
• Donations • Learning
• Leads • Interaction
• Subscribers • Engagement
• Members • Branding
• Saved time saved • Loyalty
cost • Satisfaction
• Increased hits/rank, • Feedback
Source: KD Paine, a social media metrics expert.
• Stay nimble - Change will continue
• Know what you want to measure
and how you’ll know if you’re
• Think about staffing and guidelines
• Address your whole culture, not just