Characteristics of Social Media
• Participatory: It blurs the line between producer and
consumer, media and audience.
• Open and Democratic: It encourages comments,
voting and sharing of information. For this reason it is
seen as authentic and trustworthy.
• Conversational: Two (or more) way conversation
rather than one-directional broadcast. Is personal,
specific, and engaging.
• Communal: Supports formation, growth & strength of
communities around a particular shared interest.
• Connected: Thrives on being connected, rather than
being territorial and proprietary.
Strengthen the Network
• Social Capital is the value
of connections between
and among nodes in social
• Content should be
immediately useful and/or
• 12:1 ratio of adding value.
IS SOCIAL CAPITAL
1. Stay nimble – change is the name of the
game. Experiment, observe, and refine.
2. Know your goals so you can use social
media to achieve them, and know if
3. Address your whole culture, not just
marketing & communications.
4. It’s a contact sport!