Forum Nokia & UXD ResourcesPresentation Transcript
User Experience Design
Resources for Mobile
Part One: What do we have
for you today?
What does User Experience mean?
• User Experience can be both very big and vague, and very
detailed and specific.
• There is a misconception that UX is expensive and at the end of
development. UX is scalable and pervasive.
• Things get a lot less confusing once you know that UX is boiled
down into one simple question.
“What’s in it for me?”
UX Driven Service Development
A considered, user centric approach to service development
1. Service Concepting – what are you doing?
2. Application Planning – how are you doing it?
3. Make sure it delivers what users want
Step 1: Concepting
Answer the user’s question
“What’s in it for me?”
Create your personas
Walk a mile in their shoes
Set your metrics
Step 2: Planning
How to sweat the details
The Sweet Spot
Coder Good User Experience Designer
Tendency towards feature bloat Tendency towards visual overload
Hey, we can tell the user when
the bus will be at the stop
within a period of 4
User That’s ridiculous, let’s keep it to
milliseconds! Sweet, I can quickly figure out
how soon the bus gets here! I In other news, I figured out
Don’t make me throw you out love this thing! how to apply these awesome
a window. I want to see gradients to everything on the
what’s going on without service!
having flashbacks YOU WILL LOVE THIS THING!
Interaction Design for Mobile Application
Visual Design for Mobile: A Guide for Newcomers
Step 1: Service Concepting
• “I want to find an open, good restaurant near me right now!”
• Development team devised different personas and imagined
what they wanted
• Hungry cold people
• Hungry drunk people
• Hungry picky people
• Figured out what website information to move and remove in
order to maintain clarity of use
Step 2: Application Planning
• Location was a key functionality
• First idea: C++ for S60, then discovered WRT
• Created and test a lightweight web app in the browser, and
"widgetized" it for Nokia and iPhone simultaneously.
• Graphics/Styling entirely through CSS for speed
Step 3: Does it Deliver?
• Word of mouth test base
• Used platform UI style guides (no model)
• When it started working
• Continuous improvement
Part Two: What’s in it for
UXD: Nokia, the Universe and Everything
Questions for you
• What do you want from us?
• What do you want us to stop doing?
• Have you seen anything relating to UXD
that has been particularly awesome?
(Collaborations are great, looking for more)