MSU New Media Drivers License
• Founded in 1860
• Company started with Joseph & Lyman Bloomingdale sold hoop skirts in
their Ladies Notions’ Shop on Manhattan’s Lower East Side.
• In 1886, they opened the 59th and Lexington Ave. (current flagship store)
designed with large plate glass display windows and big merchandising
• By 1920 Bloomie’s owned the entire block
• In 1971 “The Brown Bag” made its debut, designed by Massimo Vignelli
who designed the current store typeface
• By 2010 the company has over 40 stores and is now a subsidy of Macy’s
SITUATION – Bloomingdales need consistent advertising and marketing on the
internet to create a great overall brand image.
TASK – They can do this with YouTube video’s, Updated Facebook & Twitter,
Blogs, and an Updated Catalogue
ACTION – Utilizing funding and new associates to get these project underway
RESULT – These will increase the social media image by 20% and can be
monitored through numbers of videos watched on YouTube, number of Twitter
& Facebook fans, number of blog views, number of catalogs requested.
SITUATION. TASK. ACTION. RESULT.
• YouTube Channel
I see that the company loads videos but not on their own channel
because they don’t have one.
• Bloomingdale’s Blog
The company needs a blog to put all of the media in one are
• Facebook Update
Include link to Wikipedia pages and promotions/coupons on site.
• Twitter Update
Create twitters for specific department, senior management twitters,
and specific store twitters
Update catalog to reach specific target markets and the shelf life will last longer
PROPOSED NEW MEDIA