1. Dan OPRESCU
(CONSUMER GOODS FOOD / NON FOOD)
Mobile + 40 722 251246
Residence + 40 21 2322582
40, Smaranda Braiescu, 20H, Ap.8, Sect.1, Bucharest
KEY AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Brand Building & Equity Management Strategic Pricing & Cost Management
Market Research & Insight Generation Portfolio & Earnings Management
Experiential & Direct Marketing Route to Consumer & Market
MarCom. (Incl. Alt. Ch/Sponsorships/Events) Processes Redesign & Re-engineering
Trade & Distribution Teams Building & Performance Management
2007 - HEAD OF CONSUMER & TRADE MARKETING DIVISION
(DIRECTOR’S BOARD MEMBER)
2002 – 2007 PORTFOLIO, BRAND &TRADE STRATEGY DIRECTOR
(DIRECTOR’S BOARD MEMBER)
1997 – 2002 CENTRAL AND EASTERN EUROPE REGIONAL MARKETING MANAGER
1995 – 1997 TRADE MARKETING MANAGER
1994 – 1995 CLIENT SERVICE & SALES MANAGER
2. Professional Profile
Innovative and results driven senior management professional with a strong 15 years track record of success in delivering significant market share
gains for the managed portfolio and profit optimization & growth via cost base and pricing management.
Change agent recognized for talents in revitalizing operations and leadership of cross-functional and cross-cultural teams.
Combine flair for identifying and implementing simple solutions to complex problems with a hands-on, lead-by-example management style which
fosters a culture of teamwork, shared mission and dedication to excellence.
Overview & Achievements
15 years of commercial experience (FMCG and Business to Business) / 4 years engineering experience (Quality Assurance, Logistics)
• Natural self-starter with an Entrepreneurial Drive
First ISO 9001 Certification in Romania-1994 by “American Bureau of Shipping” for STEROM actual Cameron Coopers – Oilfield Equipment
• Leverage the Multimarkets Experience & Expertise
Central & Easten Europe Group Brand Manager 2000-2002
• Proven International & Regional Experience
Leading cross -functional and cross cultural teams for Central and Eastern Europe + Germany and Italy ;
Marketing Manager Balkans
• Strong consumer understanding and brand equity management skills
Re-versed the declining trend of BONA brand from 17.2% value share in Jan 99 to 21.3% in August 99;
Re-versed the JTI volume share trend from 16.7% volume share in Sept. 2002 to 24% end 2007
• Ability to generate and exploit powerful consumer insights
Designed and re-launched the Lux brand mix in Central and Eastern Europe plus Italy and Germany moving it from “sensorial” to
“experiential” platforms Nov. 2001.
Successful line extensions of Dove from skin care to hair care across Central and Eastern Europe
• Legislation, Commercial Environment & Trade Structure
Setting up the Ferrero Eastern Europe Representative office in Romania 1996
• Start Ups:
Set up the first Romanian Retail Panel ensuring the start up of the Nielsen retail audit business in Romania 1994
Key stakeholder in the management team that implemented in Romania JTI own sales & distribution system
Consolidated Hochland Romania dominant position in all operating foods categories by increasing its market share in one year from 33 %
(beg 2008) to 39 % (end 2009). Improved all brand indicators particularly Spontaneous Brand Aw + 7 ppt. (to 65% un-aided).
• Crisis Management
Tobacco Price War 2002, Farmers Strikes on milk pricing 2008 / 2009
• Practical Creativity/a lateral thinker with a strong desire to solve problems
• Ability to challenge conventional thinking and drive to push trough change
• External market orientation with a passionate focus on the consumer/customer
• Strong leadership skills (in particular strategic influencing) able to bring cross cultural and multifunctional team members into a strong and
united force focused on consumer/customer needs.
• Project Management skills Team commitment
• Communication skills including fluency in English and French
• IAA Professor
Education / Courses & Trainings
• - 2007
• – 2006
• - 2005
• – 2003
• - 1999 (@ Unilever “Four Acres”)
• ABS (American Bureau of shipping) Total Quality Management / ISO 9000
3. • Engineering degree 1985 - 1990 – Technical University Bucharest
• Others (details upon request)
PRESENT HOCHLAND Romania - Head of Consumer & Trade Marketing Division (Director’s Board Member)
• STRATEGIC BUSINESS PLANNING FOR THE UNIT .
• Lead and develop all activities for Hochland Romania in relation to brand strategy, trade marketing, IKA (International Key Accounts)
advertising and marketing communication so that we have the right presence and corporate image in the marketplace to drive
• Business Plan Development (3 to 5 years)
• Responsibility for 3 year strategic business plan, detailed annual plan and budget, including personnel, capital expenditures related to
new products , and all necessary operating costs
• Manage all Marketing and Trade Marketing activities.
• Develop & manage marketing budgets & plans.
• Develops and manage the Marketing & Trade Marketing team.
• Category P & L management.
• Manage relationship with agencies and other business partners.
• Media strategy
• Co-ordinate all consumer and market research activities
• External representation of the company, aligned with the group branding, positioning, marketing and communication
• Set and implement local business development strategies, distinguishing between New Business Development and Key Account
• Identify and develop local business opportunities for significant growth within the business unit, leveraging and building on the group
knowledge, capabilities and resources in company’s practices, teams and functions.
• Implement and manage a consumer and marketing oriented focus in the busines
• Actively monitor, manage and improve consumers satisfaction and loyalty.
• Strategic pricing management to ensure long term sustainable market leadership
• Develop and maintain local market intelligence to remain on track with local market trends, client business needs, talent market,
competition and changes for optimal opportunity
TYPICAL OUTPUTS :
• Annual and multi-annual brand & portfolio strategy
• Annual marketing communications plans and budgets
• Trade Segmentation & POS Communication
• Sponsorship & Channel Strategy
• All Marketing Communications materials
• Achievement of KPI
o BHT (Top of Mind/Unaided Awareness, Attribute Ratings)
o Campaign / Sponsoring effectiveness
o Customer Touchpoints Brand Experience Alignment (in store experience)
• Process maps for any activity within the department
• Performance assessment and development plans for direct reports and reports of direct reports
2002 – 2007 JAPAN TOBACCO INTERNATIONAL JTI ROMANIA
2005-2007 Portfolio, Brand and Trade Strategy Director (Director’s Board Member)
• Drive the development of the brand portfolio, pricing, trade and distribution strategies in order to maximize brand performance and Return
• Lead development of Consumer &Trade elements of market Annual &Strategic Plan in conjunction with in-market planning & development,
operations, finance, regional Consume &Trade and HQ brand groups including objective setting, overall KPI setting and strategic KPI
• Define annual investment allocation and provide input to Planning & Development, Manufacturing, Finance and Sales on best spending
opportunities. Manage the strategy related investment approval process as well as brand P&L and resource allocation.
• Supervise development of all elements of marketing mix including new product, new pack, ATL/BTL communication, and promotional to
ensure alignment to brand positioning and continuously strengthen brand equity.
• Drive innovation as appropriate especially to determine new ways to reach consumer. Oversee adaptation of global guidelines in order to
suit market specificities.
• Manage pricing within local competitive and legislative environment and in line with pricing policy. Manage pricing from source to consumer
taking into account margins, terms and discounts.
• In conjunction with HQ research team, global and local agencies, develop and initiate research projects to provide data on consumer needs
and profiles, channel and trade characteristics as well as equity of JTI brands.
• Oversee the translation of portfolio, brand and trade strategies into detailed channel plans, including trade segmentation (incl. territory)
and category management, in line with KPIs.
4. • Oversee the allocation of spending by geography and across channels in order to meet brand objectives, track performance (channel P&L)
and budgets against agreed strategies and recommend corrective action where necessary
• Lead consistent through the line programs development and effectiveness evaluation (ROI and budget vs. actual spend), monitor results
against KPIs and recommend corrective actions.
• Responsible for effective implementation of sales, distribution, merchandising, through the line marketing strategies, objectives and
programs as defined by the planning group. Monitors progress and recommends corrective action where necessary.
• Driver of direct customer interface activities and trade relationship management.
• Accountable for key account plan implementation and compliance
• Brand and Portfolio P&L responsible (Gross Margin and Brand Contribution Management)
• Accountable for Return of Investment, Operating Company Contribution
• Management of earnings delivery and opex vs. Infrastructure cost base and Product cost
JTI ROMANIA – STRATEGIC PLANNING AND NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
• Business Strategic Planning (time horizon 3 - 5 years).
• Responsible for shaping the in-market strategic direction (portfolio, brand and trade).
• Integrating, driving and maximizing activities related to in-market consumer & trade strategy, brand equity and market intelligence.
• Co-ordination of the Global Supply Chain, Research & Development, Manufacturing, Marketing cross-functional teams to fully exploit the
optimum product portfolio.
• Global co-ordination and development for the Winchester brand (Romania, Lebanon, Worldwide Duty Free)
• Lead the Annual /Strategic plan
• Product Strategy and Product Cost Startegy
• New Product Development Briefing and Implementation
JTI ROMANIA – MARKETING MANAGER Brands Camel, Winston, Salem, More, Winchester, Monte Carlo
• Responsible for designing the Brand Portfolio Strategy on the Romanian market & Manage the Marketing Mix in line with the business
• Optimize the brand performances through brand contribution and the company gross margin.
• Control of the brand portfolio performance (Net Sales, P&L, New Product Development), GAP management and identification of potential
• Responsible for designing and implementing the Field Marketing, Merchandising and HORECA strategy.
• Define and implement the Trade Channel Strategy and Consumer Conversion Programs within cross-functional teams leveraging the
synergies between Sales and Marketing departments.
• Lead cross-functional teams developing Trade Segmentation, Route Optimisation and Indirect Distribution
UNILEVER REGIONAL MARKETING MANAGER – CENTRAL AND EASTERN EUROPE
Oral Care Innovation Centre Milan / Prague Based Center; brands Signal, Pepsodent, Amodent, Mentadent
Skin Regional Innovation Center Hamburg / Prague Based Center; managed brands Lux, Timotei, Ponds
• Define the Strategic Positioning and Direction of the brand mix (3 years task horizon)
• Country Management for brands in this product category
• European rollout of existing mixes
• Leading the project teams on new innovation relevant to countries
• Leading cross-cultural, multi-functional teams
5. • Networking within the European division to keep close contact with relevant activities in countries or other categories
1999 – 2000
UNILEVER SOUTH-CENTRAL EUROPE – BALKANS MARKETING MANAGER COSMETICS (Dove, Lux, Ponds, Organics, Timotei)
(Managing Marketing and Trade Marketing operations in Romania, Moldova, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Yugoslavia, Bosnia, Albania)
• Manage the portfolio of the category
• Set and implement strategies and action plans across Personal Care Category, Customer and Trade Channels.
• Develop and facilitate a deep category, shopper and competitors understanding to build efficient category strategies, incl. (Euro-) pricing,
promotion, assortment, and merchandizing.
• Controll of category performance (net sales, P&L, new product development), GAP management and identification of potential growth
• Co-ordinate processes between Consumer Marketing, Customer Development, and Supply Chain in order to deliver the optimal category
• Create demand at the Point of Sale in close co-operation with the account management team and the customer.
• Develop and implement the "go to market" strategy for New Product Developments.
1998 - 1999
UNILEVER ROMANIA - GROUP BRAND MANAGER HOUSE HOLD CLEANING (Omo, Bona, Coccolino)
• Manage the Marketing mix of the Household Care brands Bona, Omo, Coccolino, Domestos, Cif
• Development of the advertising TV commercials (entirely developed local from concept to execution) for the managed brands (Omo, Bona)
• Development of all the consumer activation activities
• Packaging and formulation development & re-launches for the Laundry brands
• Consumer Direct Marketing
1996 – 1998
FERRERO EAST EUROPE - TRADE MARKETING AND RESEARCH MANAGER
• Manage the trade marketing operations (promotional activities, point of sales materials, shop branding, etc)
• Manage the consumer & trade research projects (buying behaviors, retail audits, trade segmentation, channel performance measurement)
• Implement and measure the Company - Product freshness - Strategy
AC NIELSEN – CLIENT SERVICE & SALES MANAGER
• Design of the first Retail Audit Panel in Romania and conduct Retail Census
• Manage the Retail Audit services for the whole client portfolio
• Manage the Media Measurement Services (advertising expenditure monitor)
• Responsible for extending the business (build a solid client base)
• Consumer research services
1990 – 1993
STEROM SA – Oilfield Equipment Company (current Cooper Cameron)
QUALITY ASSURANCE MANAGER / MAINTENENCE ENGINEER
• Responsible for design and implementation of the Quality System
• Major achievement – first ISO 9001 certification in Romania - by ABS (American Bureau of Shipping) – 1994
• Establish/Define the Quality Assurance Policies & Procedures as well as the Quality Manual
• Operational Analyssis (Productivity) Vs. Quality Assurance Reports
6. • Implement QA Procedures ensuring Cost Quality Efficiency vs. Productivity
• Monitor and Improve Operation eficiencies in line with the TQM policy
• Responsible Product Development, Equipment Inventment Strategy , Tool Machines& Equipment’s Maintenance