1. The word Pentecost comes Pentecost is also called from the Greek language Whitsunday especially in and means fiftieth. the United Kingdom.Pentecost was one of three The term important Jewish festivals Whitsunday and all males were means white required to appear before Sunday and God. is a reminderPentecost was celebrated of the white on the fiftieth day after robes given the second day of the to those who Festival of Unleavened were Bread or the Passover. baptized atIt is celebrated 10 days after the Easter the Ascension. Vigil.
2. Pentecost is also know as the feast of weeks.It occurs seven weeks after the beginning of the harvest (Lev 23:10–11; Deut 16:9) and it also coincides with the giving of the law to Moses on Mt. Sinai.The feast has its beginning in the Torah, the Pentateuch or the first five books of the Bible and is mentioned in four of those five books.
3. Returning to Genesis 1:2 This time using Greek, the The earth was without language of the New form and void, and Testament, the word is darkness was upon the translated as breath, wind or face of the deep; and the spirit. Spirit of God. . .” Why is this important, because itIn Hebrew, the language of shows the Holy Spirit as part of the Old Testament, the the Trinity and at the very word used for spirit is beginning of creation and now breath, wind or spirit. the Holy Spirit is found at theJumping ahead to the Acts very beginning of the Church of the Apostles, often just when the apostles began called “Acts,” we read, teaching or preaching the “2:2 And suddenly a world. sound came from heaven Remember, Jesus said “I am with like a rush of a mighty you always, to the close of the wind, age. (Mt. 28:20)”
4. The Holy Spirit arrived with seven gifts for each of the apostles, the same gifts transmitted to us through the sacrament of Confirmation.The Catechism of the Catholic Church 1831 identifies these gifts as:1. wisdom,2. understanding,3. knowledge,4. counsel,5. fortitude,6. piety and7. fear of the Lord.
5. Our LifeThe choice of living a Spirit filled Wouldn’t it be wonderful to life is ours. understand the scriptures not justWe need to grow in our faith and with your own brain power but to listen to the Holy Spirit’s with the direction of the Holy Spirit voice within us so that He can as He speaks to us through the direct and guide us. Church’s Magisterium?Many of us struggle with difficult Those are the gifts of wisdom, decisions such as career paths understanding and knowledge. and relationships only to find Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have that the Holy Spirit has been the courage to stand up for directing us but we have Christian values with your ignored him. friends?He is with us always and offers That’s fortitude and piety us counsel, but we need to listen and pray don’t we?
6. Fear of the LordWouldn’t it be wonderful to stand up for your moral and religious convictions against those who would lead you into sin?That’s called “Fear of the Lord,” loving Him so much you are willing to show your respect for Him by living the Ten Commandments.
7. 3000 CovertsAfter the Resurrection baptize and pass on the Jesus appeared to 11 Holy Spirit to 3,000 who frightened men behind converted on that day. locked doors “for fear of the Jews. (Jn. 20:19)And now on Pentecost when each is filled with the gifts of the Holy Spirit they have the courage to surrender their will to the Spirit and they convert
8. The Willingness to TryAre you willing to say to the Holy Spirit, “Do what you want with me. I understand it is for the glory of the Lord and my own good.Sure you will make mistakes but when you learned to walk you fell down but you didn’t quit trying to do better did you?
9. The Voice• Sometimes we call that • The choice of your little voice inside a behavior is yours, conscience, it’s really because God loves you the Holy Spirit giving so much He has given you wisdom, you a free choice. understanding, • When you make a knowledge, counsel, decision you can act on fortitude, piety and fear the whim of the moment, of the Lord in your with reason or the best present situation by listening to the Holy Spirit within you.