1. “The world’s leading social sound platform where anyone can create sounds and share them anywhere.” (soundcloud.com, 2012)
4. Users who create an account must tick a checkbox sayingthey agree to the TOU before their account is created. However, For the casual user who doesn’t have an accountThey are located by clicking on a hyperlink that is located at the very bottom of the page, written in a font size that is smaller than any other text section on the website.
5. Let us look at some key features of the TOU toget a clearer overview of what the SoundCloud user is really agreeing to.
7. Your content. Any content that you upload is yours and your responsibility.Any copyright infringements associated with your content will be considered your problem, not SoundClouds. "And may result in termination of your SoundCloud account, and or civil litiagtion and criminal prosecution on behalf of the relevant rights holder" (soundcloud.com, 2012)
8. Even though the content is yours, SoundCloud can still delete it without providing any valid reason. "SoundCloud reserves the right to block, remove ordelete any Content at any time, and to limit or restrict access to any Content, for any reason and without liability" (soundcloud.com, 2012)
9. What if you are unhappy with the service that SoundCloud is providing?
10. If you are not a premium paying customer: "IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH THEPLATFORM, YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVEREMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE ACCESSING AND USING THE PLATFORM" (soundcloud.com, 2012)
11. But if you are a premium paying customer, youmust first terminate and cancel your account. But how? "You may terminate this Agreement at any time by sending notice in writing to SoundCloud at Rosenthalerstr. 13, 10119 Berlin, Germany confirming such termination, by removing all of Your Content from your account, by deleting your account and thereafter by ceasing to use thePlatform. If you have a premium account, then we will cease to charge you from the first day of the month following receipt of notice of termination from you, but cannot offer any refund for any unexpired period of your subscription." (soundcloud.com, 2012) Which means...
12. 1. You must send a letter in the post to their officerequesting a cancellation.2. By removing all of your content and deletingyour account from their website3. Ceasing use of their website completey
13. IF the SoundCloud office recieves(and acknowledges recieving) your posted letter.Then they will stop taking money out of your bank account one month after recieveing that letter. AS LONG AS: You have not tried logging into your account at any point after which you said you were cancelling.
14. Effectively, It is easy to terminate your premium account. But VERY difficult to cancel the accompanying membership fee payments.Even after your account has been terminated,SoundCloud can continue to take your money.
15. References:SoundCloud logo Image (http://soundcloud.com/press/material) retrieved October 21, 2012SoundCloud screencapture Image taken of (www.soundcloud.com) retrieved October 21, 2012Soundcloud.com, SoundCloud TOU Quotes (http://soundcloud.com/terms-of-use, effectve date September22, 2011) retrieved October 21, 2012