Study Case: Made by: Puscas Marina FB-28K Professor: PhD Munca Daniela
Twitter… … is latest addition to world of social networks on the Internet. The site acts like an instant messaging available to the public and is a constant stream of communication.
Twitter is a communications platform that helps businesses and their customers do a number of useful things. As a business, you can use it to quickly share information with people interested in your company, gather real-time market intelligence and feedback, and build relationships with customers, partners and other people who care about your company
It’s a free and easy way to network with both current customers and potential customers. Using Twitter allows you to connect with people on a personal level and is a powerful way to improve your online marketing and networking efforts.
Twitter is a great way to attract attention to your online business thus serves as a form of free online marketing. Companies can use Twitter to interact with both current and potential customers, building brand loyalty and image.
10 ways that Twitter can boost your online business
Twitter generates traffic to your site because you can send messages that include links. The only problem with trying to increase clientele with Twitter is that it is difficult to target a certain demographic group. Twitter greatly enhances your personal brand. By using Twitter, you and your company develop a casual, approachable personality that is in the loop. This helps you to attract new potential customers.
3. If you need to hire a writer, graphic designer or anyone else for that matter, you can do so easily on Twitter by sending a tweet out to your friends to ask if they know of anyone. This eliminates the need of putting out classified ads and weeding through prospective employees.
4. If you work remotely with other people, you can use Twitter as a way to interact with a group. Twitter options include making messages visible only to certain people, which would obviously be useful if you want to use it as a tool to communicate with people in your business.
5. It is easy to find new, potential customers by using Twitter’s search function. Follow the Twitter users that are talking about relevant topics and you may be able to offer your product or services to them in the future.6. Twitter can assist you in your social media efforts because anytime you submit an article to Digg or Stumble Upon for example you can include a link to your story and perhaps get others to vote for it.
7. Twitter allows you to stay in touch with your current customers. If you begin offering a new product or service, you can use Twitter to make an announcement. 8. With Twitter, you can connect with other people in your niche. This is helpful for building business relationships that will enhance your future networking efforts.
9.It’s easy to get feedback on any of your current projects with Twitter. If your site has a new design or you just put up a new article, you can tweet about it and ask your followers for feedback. 10. With a Twitter widget on your website, you can link up with potential customers who find your site through a search engine. This allows you to connect with people on a more personal level and increase your followers.
Revolution and I-Level's social media agency recently published the "100 Most Mentioned Brands on Twitter." My list focuses on their Top Ten, where I offer insights, concerns and best practice that are used by top brands in stimulating a good number tweets in the Twitterverse.
1. Starbucks With over 3.37 million mentions and 120,868 followers, who says the cream doesn‘t rise to the top. Coffee drinkers and people in general love Starbuck's corporate social media responsibility. Starbucks uses their brand on Twitter to reinforce their CSR reports.
2.Google While Google actually has more followers than Starbucks( 307K to 120K), but its mentions of 1.01M to 3.37M pales in comparison. However Google just recently registered with Twitter, while Starbucks has had a presence for a while. The Twitterverse hasn't so much embraced Google on Twitter as they have come to understand it as a 'necessary evil.'
3.BBC With only 21.6K followers the BBCnews 703,000 mentions is very impressive. During breaking news events, BBC News was one of the first news organizations to incorporate viewpoints, eyewitness accounts and user generated content from users on Twitter into their developing coverage. It was this approach that endeared them to the twitterati and continues to distinguish them as the brand model in the news industry to emulate.
4.Apple Apple, who surprisingly has not even registered for a Twitter account came in 4th with 512K+ mentions. Everyone talks about Apple and all of its products on Twitter, but Apple doesn’t talk back.
5.AIG Now AIG is another matter. With over 455,000 mentions, they also do not maintain a Twitter account. Due to the recent financial crisis, people continue to be vocal with their criticisms about this company and that is the reason for their excessive number of mentions.
6.Amazon With only 1007 followers, @Amazon was surprisingly mentioned 245,760 times during this 3-day period in April. Differing from Apple and AIG, however, Amazon decided to join in the conversation and signed up for a Twitter recently. On the flip side, since "Twitter" is one of the most often keyword searches on Amazon's web site, it was very wise for Amazon to use its Twitter account to sell "Twitter" books, DVDs, and other Twitter related merchandise.
7.Microsoft While Microsoft did not have a presence on Twitter in April, it now appears to have an account labelled the "official Twitter account for Microsoft." Nonetheless with over 221K mentions, it is apparent that the Twitterverse has a lot to say about the company, even though Microsoft isn't talking
8.Guardian Racked up 211,000 mentions with its 14,913 followers. In May, 2009, Guardian commented about their success on the social network and micro blogging service "as a communications technology that is breaking down barriers of geography, class and even shyness." A unique collaboration between The Guardian and Twitter will also see the launch of Gutter . Gutter members will be able to use the service to comment on liberal blogs across the Web via a new tool, developed by the blogging platform Word Press, entitled Gutter Press.
9.DELL They have made the top ten list, with the second highest number of followers (287,575). After generating $1 million by alerting Twitter followers to sale items during the Christmas holidays, Dell was the first to offer discounts exclusively to its Twitter followers .
10.Coca-Cola With their 135,600 mentions, Coke has chosen to protect their updates which is never a good idea for a brand that is trying to gain market share.
Twitter is a unique communication tool that can help you to reach potential clients, customers and fans. Twitter can help you extend your brand and grow your business. What makes Twitter for your business: -Finds conversations and comments relating to your area of expertise; -Makes announcements about your business; -Shares resources and information; -Extend your branding and awareness for your company; Twitter is immensely helpful, if it's used correctly.
Questions: 1.What is Twitter (in general)? 2.How can it help your business? 3.Can you enumerate those 10 ways in which Twitter can help you business and explain them? 4.Name 10 companies that use Twitter to boost their business. 5.What can Twitter do for your business?
New words: Loop - (computer science) a single execution of a set of instructions that are to be repeated; Syn.Iteration; To enhance-to intensify or increase in quality, value, power, etc; Eyewitness- a spectator who can describe what happened; To endear - make attractive or lovable; Vocal-tending to express oneself often or freely;