Transcript of "Micromachining using an abrasive jet"
• Non-traditional way of machining• Cost effective• Can be used with many different materials• Uses complex mathematic formulas• Based on erosion
• High pressure air shoots from nozzle• Abrasive material mixed with air• Concentrated stream to hit only the areas being machined• More precise than traditional methods
• The abrasives cause cracks in the material that break down and fall away• The machine takes the math and uses it like a pattern to cut the material• It will cut out the shape very quickly• It works the best with brittle materiel but can be used with other material as well
• Particle interference and fragmentation is still being researched• The materials are still being tested to see what the machine can handle• The nozzle diameter and distance from the work piece are not yet determined as to all the confirmed materials
• The machine is effective and functional but still ahs room for improvement• There’s still work being done about the particle velocity
http://go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA296378744&v=2.1&u=mlin_c_montytech&it=r&p=GPS&sw=wAchtsnick, M., Geelhoed, P. F., Hoogstrate, A. M. &Karpuschewski, B. 2005, "Modelling and evaluation ofthe micro abrasive blasting process", Wear, Vol.259, No. 1-6, pp. 84-94.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.