3. Landscape & overview Focused example of not getting the upside.
4. Landscape & overview "[S]tudents... stay at home and skim online notes or flick through podcasts and video recordings of classes. A third of students consider this a substitute for attendance, according to a nationwide survey of 2422 first-year students...
5. Landscape & overview What is attendance?
6. Landscape & overview Which type of attendance do they mean?
8. Landscape & overview Attendance, n. 1. The action or condition of applying ones mind or observant faculties to something. 2. The action or condition of turning ones energies to; assiduous effort. CC BY-NC-SA Geir Halvorsen
9. Landscape & overview Service-based definition
10. Landscape & overview Attendance, n. 3. The action or condition of waiting upon, accompanying, or escorting a person. 4. The action or condition of an inferior in waiting the leisure, convenience, or decision of a superior. CC BY zappowbang
12. Landscape & overview Attendance, n. 6. The action of coming or fact of being present, in answer to a summons, or to take part in public business, entertainment, instruction, worship, etc. CC BY-NC-SA baldorak2208
13. Landscape & overviewAttendance:• Service-based?• Community-based?• Attention-based? CC BY-NC-SA atomicshark
14. Landscape & overview JISC Design Studio http://bit.ly/jiscds
15. Landscape & overview Springboard TV West Anglia College http://bit.ly/springboard-tv
16. Landscape & overview Students as Change Agents Exeter University http://bit.ly/students-as- change-agents
17. Landscape & overviewAttendance worksbest as Attention andCommunity
18. Landscape & overview Teachers that can be replaced by a machine should be. Arthur C. Clarke
19. Landscape & overview Learning with digital media is different.
24. Landscape & overview Visible Learning; a synthesis of over 800 meta-analyses relating to achievement (John Hattie) http://bit.ly/hattie-visible-learning
25. Landscape & overview Effective Practice in a Digital Age FREE! (JISC) http://www.jisc.ac.uk/practice
26. Landscape & overviewAttention-based attendance through digital media (p.21)
27. Landscape & overview Effective Assessment FREE! in a Digital Age (JISC) http://www.jisc.ac.uk/digiassess
28. Landscape & overview Real-world assessment using digital media (p.48-9)
29. Landscape & overview Learning Literacies for the Digital Age (LLiDA) - Framework of Frameworks (p.35) FREE! Learner Experiences of e-Learning - Responding to Learners Pack (guides for different job roles) MoLeNet - examples of changes and approaches for using mobile technologies in learning and teaching environments http://www.jisc.ac.uk
30. Landscape & overview Cross-JISC programme on digital literacies planned (subject to funding) http://www.jisc.ac.uk/developingdigitalliteracies
31. Landscape & overview Emerging Practice in a Digital Age Launch: ALT-C 2011 Purpose: - Encourage use of emerging technologies - Provide starter guide for effective implementation - Guidance around managing integration of institutional and Web 2.0 technologies http://www.jisc.ac.uk/elearningprogramme