Choosing a Mainstream
eBook Reading System
Why Does Accessibility
XLi 2014, March 27, 2014
Wants versus Needs
• What kind of publications do I need or want to read ?
• Do I need or want to read enhanced e-books ?
• What’s my budget ?
• How often do I read ?
• Do I need to share my reading device with others ?
• Can I start and operate my reading device myself ?
• Do I want to access online bookstores and the web ?
• What features are important to me ?
(Easy navigation, help focusing, TTS etc.)
Specialized players: Guaranteed accessibility
for specific user groups
Why should I choose DAISY?
• Need for accessible audio: can be used by individuals
unable to read print, as easily and efficiently as a
sighted person uses a printed book
• You benefit from text and audio synchronization
• You prefer easy navigation
• Linear reading experience (MP3 file) is not sufficient
Mainstream eReaders: Research needed
Top Ten Reviews: http://ebook-reader-review.toptenreviews.com/
Ask: How do I process & comprehend information most
Is deep and navigable reading important to me?
Find an app / device that meets your reading needs
and supports your learning style
Mobile applications with navigation features
and / or text-to-speech support
• Darwin DAISY Reader (Android)
• Go Read (DAISY reader – Android)
• Voice of DAISY (iPhone, iPad)
• Read2Go (DAISY reader - iPhone, iPad)
• Learning Ally app (iOS, Android)
• Voice Dream Reader (iOS, Android)
• Blio app (iOS, Android)
Apple or Android device or Kindle?
• Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Fire HDX tablets now have
improved accessibility features (text read aloud)
• iPad / iPad mini / iPhone accessible, allow users to
• Many Android phones / tablets to choose from,
accessibility varies (Nexus 7, Nexus 10 etc.)
• Reviews, testing and evaluations help you decide
EPUB 3 Support?
Which mainstream reading systems support EPUB 3 and
work well with assistive technologies?
Check the EPUB 3 support grid
Reading systems’ accessibility evaluations added.
Want to test? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org