1. PAST SIMPLEThis tense is used to talk aboutcompleted actions in the past.
2. PAST EXPRESSIONSLAST MONTH/ WEEK / WEEKEND YESTERDAY AGO
3. PAST SIMPLE (AFFIRMATIVE FORM)It is formed with the following structure:SUBJECT + VERB (PAST SIMPLE) + COMPLEMENT SHE STUDIED HARD YESTERDAY YOU WROTE A LOVE LETTER LAST WEEK HE READ A MAGAZINE 1 MONTH AGO
4. Exercises:Put the verbs into the correct form (simple past).Last year I (spend) _______________ my holiday in Ireland.It (be)________________ great.I (travel)_____________ around by car with two friends and we (visit) ___________lots of interesting places.In the evenings we usually ___________(go) to a pub.One night we even (learn) ______________ some Irish dances.
5. PAST SIMPLE (NEGATIVE FORM)This structure includes the auxiliary “didn’t” STRUCTURE SUBJECT + AUX. “DIDN’T” +VERB ( INFINITIVE) + COMPLEMENT THEY DIDN’T GO TO CLASS YESTERDAY HE DIDN’T WRITE A LOVE LETTER WE DIDN’T ATTEND ENGLISH CLASS
6. Exercises: Rewrite the sentences in the negative.They collected postcards. → ____________________________You jumped high. → __________________________________Albert played squash. → _______________________________The teacher tested our English. → _______________________Fiona visited her grandma. → ___________________________
7. PAST SIMPLE (INTERROGATIVE FORM) yes / no questions) This form includes de auxiliary “DID” STRUCTUREAUX. “DID” + SUBJECT + VERB (INFINITIVE) + COMPLEMENT Did you speak a lot last week? Did she write a book yesterday? Did they talk about their homework?
8. Exercises:Write questions in simple past.Anna / the window / open __________________________she / home / walk ________________________________you / in the garden / work __________________________you / a song / sing _________________________________she / on a chair / sit ________________________________
9. PAST SIMPLE (INTERROGATIVE FORM) SHORT ANSWERSThese are called short answers because you answer with “YES” or “NOT” Examples:Did you speak a lot last week? YES, I did NO, I didn’tDid she write a book yesterday? YES, She did NO, She didn’t.
10. EXERCISES:ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONSDid Mayda go to the school yesterday? ______________________Did They travel around the world 1year ago? ________________Did We study English the last year? ________________________Did You talk about politics yesterday? _______________________Did he attend class the last week? _________________________