View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Prof Csikszentmihalyi Born in Croatia, this Hungarian Psychology professor at the University of Chicago is known for his studies on creativity and happiness. He is one of the notable Researchers in the field of positive psychology.
Perfect Balance Factors determining FLOW The challenge level matches the skill level. A high challenge with low skill produces anxiety but with high skill might produce FLOW if other conditions are optimal.
No conflicts or confusion about what you have to do. What are the impediments to the clarity of goals? (Unconscious sabotage? “Fear of success”) How can clarity of goals make our activities/work more satisfying? How can you make your goals clear? 1. Clarity of Goals
2. Immediate & Clear Feedback Gives constant information about performance Know immediately how to alter performance for optimum results Enhances the focus on the activity If this is not present, we might relax or become disinterested in the goal/activity What experience do you love and engage in where you have immediate and constant feedback? http://www.flickr.com/photos/warrencountyoh/3730376856/in/photostream/
Challenge = Skill When skill level meets challenge, we begin to love the activity, even if at first we did not. How do you feel when the task/challenges appears to be impossible? Is it always impossible? How can you best gauge your skill level (realistically) without selling yourself short?
4. Focus is all http://www.flickr.com/photos/h-k-d/3942293740/
5. Escape into the present http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjjohn/2259210770/in/photostream/
6. Choose the Edge for Optimal Growth http://www.flickr.com/photos/adulau/5723190948/AlexandreDulaunoy
7. Transcendence Absorption into the activity Loosening of the ego consciousness Brain can only process 120 bits of information per second and total focus will often result in a reduced “body sense” Forget yourself to find yourself: recall the flow experience and the sense of self-esteem is improved http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesjordan/1501451576/
8. Time is Transformed Jjjohn’sphotostream on Flickr
Time wraps itself around your experience. So much is packed into the flow moment; a few seconds might seem like many minutes; many hours might feel like a few minutes. jjjohn’sphotostream on Flickr
What Will You Do to Cultivate Flow? http://www.flickr.com/photos/davemorris/39862978/sizes/z/in/photostream/
Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience People who learn to control inner experience will be able to determine the quality of their lives, which is as close as any of us can come to being happy. MihalyCsikszentmihalyi, Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience, 1990