2. Advantages of Water
Minimum chances of traffic accidents and traffic
Requires cheap motor powers than for airplanes.
Possesses high load carrying capacity.
3. Disadvantages of Water
Limited functionality capabilities.
Slow in speed.
Difficult to monitor exact location of goods.
High weather susceptible.
Definition:Navigable rivers (once a main highway of
There are two types of water ways :-Inland waterways
5. Inland Waterways
-Refer to using inland water bodies like rivers, canals,
backwaters, creeks and etc.
-Navigation along the coastal places and foreign
countries take places with the help of ships.
- Station where transport vehicles load or
unload passengers or goods
• terminal for large vessels are the port. The
function of the port are :
- Seek shelter from stormy weather
- A sheltered port where ships can take on or
- loading and unloading vessels
Factors in choosing terminal site :
8. Unit of Carriage
Definition:-The response to the requirement of a
particular class of traffic moving on a particular
-Every mode of transport have a unit of
carriage in which the goods or passengers
9. Types of Unit of Carriage For Water
• Ship large, costly unit of carriage
• Carry wide variety of product
• Represent the part ship building industry
10. MOTIVE POWER
MOTIVE POWER IS AN AGENCY, SUCH
AS WATER OR STEAM, USED TO IMPART
USED TO IMPORT MOTION TO
MACHINERY, A MOTOR, A MOVER