Cynthia M. Parkhill
Empower lifetime readers by connecting young people with books they love.
● Circulation: Manages circulation desk activities including check-outs, check-ins, organizing
book cart and returning materials to shelves. Prepares new items for use in library
including catalog records, labeling and protective covers.
● Cooperative Lending: Located items requested by patrons within a three-county shared
library system. Updated items’ status in catalog and prepared them for transportation.
● Collection Development: Recommends purchases based upon state reading lists,
American Library Association awards, patron interests and other criteria.
● Diversity/Human Resources: Co-authored accessibility guidelines to promote full
inclusion of people with disabilities in their church congregations.
● Patron Services: Conducts reader’s advisory interviews to recommend items to patrons.
Assists patrons to locate items in library. Helps with “Crafternoon” activities.
● Project Development: Built small lending library from scratch (negotiated budget,
purchased books for collection and promoted library’s use).
● Publicity: Informs patrons and public about library services through Facebook, blogging,
email campaigns, print materials and displays.
● Training and Supervision: Taught volunteers to shelve books according to classification
system during move of library collection. Set competency and training goals and
evaluated employee progress as weekly newspaper’s managing editor.
Weekly column in northern California newspaper, the Lake County Record-Bee (2008-2013)
● Awarded “Buzz Bucks” for social posts about Jackson County Library Services.
● Independent campaign in support of library district in Jackson County, Oregon received
website mention by political action committee, Libraries for All Jackson County.
● Honored by the Association of California School Administrators for “Outstanding Media
Coverage of Public Education.”
PARKHILL 1 of 2
● Jackson County Library Services, Ashland library teen department
VOLUNTEER (November 2013 to present)
● Ashland School District, Bellview Elementary School
LIBRARY ASSISTANT (October 2013 to present)
● Medford School District 549C, Instructional Media Center
INTERN (January to May 2014)
● American Library Association, American Libraries magazine
FREELANCE EDITOR (April 2014)
● Southern Oregon University, Hannon Library
VOLUNTEER (May to August 2013)
● Yarn Bombing @ Your Library
FOUNDER/CURATOR (November 2011 to present)
● Lake County Library, Lakeport and Middletown branches
VOLUNTEER (February 2010 to March 2013)
● Lake County Record-Bee
REPORTER, EDITOR, COLUMNIST (December 1997 to February 2013)
● Associate degree and certification in Library and Information Technology from Cuesta
College, with certificate in Internet research
● Bachelor’s degree in English from Sonoma State University
● Associate degree in Communication from Santa Rosa Junior College
● Self-directed studies in library best practices through webinars, industry publications
Advocacy. Circulation. Communication. Copyediting. Customer service. Data entry. Online
research. Organization. Proofreading. Public service. Public speaking. Shelf-reading. Shelving.
Adobe InDesign. Blogger. Dewey Decimal System. Facebook. Gmail. Google Calendar, Drive,
Google+ and Voice. MailChimp. MARC. Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
Microsoft Outlook (web-based). Online public access catalogs (Destiny, Polaris, Dynix).
Pinterest. SurveyMonkey. Twitter. Wordpress.
PARKHILL 2 of 2