maine spends more on heating then others. old homes + oil\n80% heating by oil, 800-900 gallons per year. all leaves the state, $2 gallon is....this will continue to change\na few things to remember. \n--space heating number one single thing - audits and geo\n--electricity is the rest 50%\n--how water is electric, or oil at 12%. \n
http://www.mosbybuildingarts.com/blog/2009/10/23/is-your-home-an-air-leak/\nhttp://www.energysavers.gov/pdfs/energy_savers.pdf\n\naddresses heating/cooling costs, comfort, durability. most evasive process but also has the largest bank for the buck. how does an audit work?\n
same as refrigerator\nwhy is it so efficient?\n
Geothermal. 50 - 80% more efficient then traditional fuel heating. vs heating oil close to 80%. heating bill from 2 to 4 k to 500 or less....which is STABLE!\n oil at $2.50\n assuming on AC\n
100% may through september, then supplements existing system\n\n
Draft 1: Artisan Renewables Free 20 Minute Workshop for Homeowners
Utilizing Government Grants toMake Your Home MoreComfortable and ProfitableChris Williams - Artisan Renewablescwilliams@artisanreneables.com617 702 2676
What you (the homeowner) willtakeaway from this workshop✤ Where you can invest in your home and how it can improve comfort, durability, and your ﬁnancial condition✤ How each renewable energy technology works, and how we integrate into your home✤ Which houses, and property owners are best suited.✤ The positives and negative of investing in each technology✤ How to take advantage of government incentives.✤ What you can do next if you’re interested in investing in renewables
Outline of time✤ My Story - 4 minutes✤ Problems and Opportunities - 7.63 minutes✤ Solutions and Technologies - 11.50 minutes✤ Beneﬁts and Downsides to you - 3.78 minutes✤ Government Incentives - 4.14 minutes✤ Next Steps - 1.99 minutes✤ Q+A - How many questions do you have?
My Story ✤ IGSHPA Certiﬁed Geothermal Installer ✤ NABCEP Solar PV Installer ✤ Installed over 300kW of solar pv [ picture] ✤ Installed tens of residential geothermal systems ✤ Over 20 residential and commercial solar thermal ✤ Babson College Graduate ✤ HeatSpring Learning Institute CMO ✤ Write articles for Renewable Energy World, Alternative Energy Stocks, Cleantechies
Artisan Builders --> Renewables✤ Started by 3 guys 30 years ago✤ Specialize in renovation and creating super-efﬁcient shells✤ KNOW Maine buildings and how to integrate new systems✤ Expanding into renewables
1. Problems and Opportunities✤ Belfast Establish in 1853✤ Built in Back in Brick✤ Small Community but OLD HOMES + Oil Heat ✤ Ballon Framing. Single Pane Windows. Poor insulations and air sealing ✤ Maine’s primarily driven by oil heat due to our location and density✤ OLD Homes and OIL Heat = Bad combo :(✤
2. Solutions and Technology✤ Cost ✤ Geothermal, Solar PV, Solar Thermal✤ Comfort ✤ Geothermal, Energy Audit - Addresses air leaks✤ Durability ✤ Energy Audit - Address mold, structural, and insulation issues✤ What you can easily do yourself to save money and increase comfort
What you can do yourself?✤ Power strips✤ Kill a watt✤ The Energy Detective✤ Programmable Thermostate✤ Lighting Changes✤ Showerheards
3. Benefits and Downsides✤ Beneﬁts ✤ Downsides✤ Great Financial Returns (SEE ✤ Cash Investment - Do you have Next Slide) the cash? ✤ Increase in Property Value ✤ Can you take advantage of gov’t grants?✤ Comfort - HUGE difference, especially in old houses ✤ Are you staying in your home for a while? Do you own your✤ Increasing durability home? ✤ Contractors in your home.
Oil at $ 3.50 gallon....✤ IRR around 18% pre-tax.✤ 1 dollar invested yield .18 return for the next 30 years
3. Financial Benefits - Solar PV Your Electric Utility Costs 40,000✤ Over the next 20 years electricity from your 30,000 utility will cost you $32,567 20,000✤ Cash Purchase Returns Minimum IRR of 7% 10,000✤ Government Financing at 5% 0 0 20
3. Financial - Solar Thermal✤ Average home solar thermal saves 300 - 350 gallons per year. ✤ @ $3.50 per gallon that is...at least $1050 per year. ✤ Cash Returns are high $10k invested yields around $1050 savings every year for the next 30 years. ✤ VERY Little Risk - You use hot water during recessions! ✤ Financed with a PACE loan (SEE Next Slide). More proﬁtable from day 1 --> Savings from oil = $107, additional loan $74, $29 dollar savings from day 1. After 10 year, you’ll save whole amount
3. Financial - Energy Audits✤ Takes the most work - but cream of the crop. Increase comfort and cash!✤ Can range from 2k to 20k just for the project. Varies widely.✤ Energy savings between 10% and 50% depending on the state of your home. ✤ 1st Phase: Weather stripping doors and windows, air sealing basement, living, chimney, etc. Smart strips, switching appliances ✤ 2nd Phase: Whole house insulation, New windows/doors, adding storm windows, HVAC upgrades ✤ 3rd Stage (or 1st if needed) Removing and replacing rotten cills, porches, new roofs etc
4. Government Incentives(Federal)✤ 30 % Federal Government Investment Tax Credit ✤ Until 2012 Can Apply as 1603 Grant in Lieu of Tax Credit✤ MACRS - Modiﬁed Accelerated Costs Recovery Systems. ✤ Only Allowed for Commercial Properties ✤ 100% Bonus Depreciation until 2012 on Year 1 ✤ 2012 50% on Year 1, then the rest over 5 years
4. Maine State Incentives Financing✤ Rebates ✤ PACE - Up to $15k at 4.99%, 15 ✤ Solar Rebates: year ﬁxed interest rate. Available in Belfast. ✤ Solar PV up to $2k ✤ New Generation Energy ✤ Solar Thermal up to $1k Commercial Solar Lending - Up to $100k at 0 to 5% interest ✤ Home Energy Savings Plan. 30% project costs, up to $1.5k ✤ Small Business Loan Program - For efﬁciency + solar thermal 90% of cost up to $35,000. 1% interest
5. Next Steps✤ Best Candidates for Investing in Their Homes✤ How to Spot a Good Contractor✤ Speciﬁc Process for Getting Work Done
Best Candidates for Investing✤ Own their home, planning on staying for 20 years✤ Have tax appetite - Government based on tax credits✤ Have cash and are looking for solid investment with little risk✤ Old house that is uncomfortable and inefﬁcient✤ Going to be replacing equipment soon anyway
How to Spot a good Contractor✤ IGSHPA - Geothermal Installer✤ NABCEP Certiﬁed for Solar✤ Years of Building Experience - at least 10 years focused on energy efﬁciency working on Maine Buildings ✤ Huge difference between knowing how to build a home and making it energy efﬁcient✤ References - Always ask for references✤ Do they know ﬁnancing or are they just builders?✤ All in one shop?
Process for Investing✤ Find a good contractor (SEE last slide)✤ Discuss your interests with them, get feedback✤ Schedule a site visit✤ Analyze Recommendations Made on Site Visit✤ Make a yes/no decision
Questions and Answer?✤ Chris Williams [photo]✤ Phone✤ Email✤ Address✤ Website
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.