BIRTH OF ZEE TELEFILMS
Essel Group launches Zee TV, in 1992.
The man behind was Subhash Chandra- the
Chairman of Essel Group.
Zee TV – Nation’s first Hindi Channel by a
Caters to the needs of the vast Hindi-
Content ranges from film based to
educational programs AD
- Experience is an archway through which one
can see the rest of the world still undiscovered.
• Zee launched ZEE TV, the nations first Hindi
channel by a pvt. Organization.
- By 1994 Zee‟s prime time audience share
was 37% compared to Doordarshan‟s 39%
- Star‟s meager share was just 8%
• 1992 -2000 Zee commanded the highest market share
• Content ranged from film-based to educational programs
- Increased the multiplicity of choices.
• Completely integrated media corporate
- Major presence in TV
programs, films, music, print, broadcasting , cable
distribution, internet portals etc
• New channels - Zee Cinema & Zee News
- A new strategy to counter the competition.
• Pioneering venture into the UK, US &
African & Middle East market
- increasing its global presence
• The bouquet of regional channels.
- first to reach out to the regional masses
• Prominence gained by other subsidiaries.
• First film under Zee banner – Gadar
• 23Channels , 500 million viewers worldwide,
presence in 120 countries & 5 continents.
• Instant success of talk show – Jeena Isika Naam Hai
• Subhash Chandra taking the lead & his innovations
• Zee Cine Awards – Dubai & London
- a truly global phenomenon
- No company can win if its products and
offerings resemble every other product
• Suffered from Marketing Myopia
- failed to anticipate the competition.
• Failed to adapt to changes
- Programming content was reformed only after
KBC was loosing popularity.
• Zee News loosing market share to AajTak.
- AajTak’s dynamic programming & breaking news
• Lack of Innovation in program content
- a highlighting feature in Zee‟s new Avtar
• Lack of Market Research
- a defensive attitude towards Sony‟s
“Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahi”
• A new and fresh look was missing.
- needed a Renaissance
• Abysmal Performance of SDCK -
(Sawaal Dus Crore Ka)
- Failed to attract the viewers.
- Had to be taken off air within few months
NO MATCH TO
• Over excessive telecast of Tehelka tapes.
- misjudged audiences performances
- a boredom for audiences
- TRP of other channels rose
• Common identity across diverse
brands was missing.
- need for rebranding.
- It is important for the firm to analyze the
competition and respond proactively rather than
reactively to sustain itself in the market
• Identifies the gap in early 90’s
- observes a vast Hindi speaking
- fills the need with a wider choice
of programs compared to
• KBC going off air
- takes advantage of the situation
- Evolution of a revamping strategy
- Improving program content
– New shows added such as Sansaar , Ek thi
Rajkumari , Yeh Dil Kya Kare etc
• Joint Venture with Turner International
( fully owned subsidiary of AOL Time Warner)
- Joint Venture named Zee Turner Pvt. Ltd.
- A blend of international & local channels
- India’s largest entertainment distribution company.
• Purchase of controlling stakes in ETC &
ZEE-ETC gives direct access to the Punjabi Diaspora
• Co-produce films in association with France TV and
Mission to set overseas distribution network
In business, the competition will bite
you if you keep running;
if you stand still, they will swallow
Quality content by SONY & STAR
• Sony launched the Sports-Movie
Channel named SET-MAX.(1999)
- Viewers ko deewana bana de
• Knockout blow by KBC(July 2000)
- Kaun Banega Crorepati
• Balaji Telefilms (2000)
- The Serial Killer
A national craze – portraying the
epitome of Indian tradition &
• Launch of AajTak(Dec 2000)
– „Sabse Tez‟
POOR FIRMS IGNORE THEIR COMPETITORS,
AVERAGE FIRMS COPY THEIR COMPETITIORS,
WINNING FIRMS LEAD THEIR COMPETITORS.
IDENTIFY THE NEED
FILL THE GAP
ANTICIPATE THE CHANGE
Zee TV’s Viewership – Zee Cine Awards 2004
Zee TV 4.9
Star Plus 2.69
Zee News Viewership Share 1999
Channels Viewership Share in Percentage
Zee News 51
Star News 30
ZEE’s MARKETING TACTICS
Initial Blitz in early 90’s Astitva - A defensive action against
Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin
Launching 24 hrs news and movie
Sawaal Dus Crore Ki - Zee’s reply to
Kaun Banega Crorepati.
Exploring foreign grounds
ZICA – the first full scale television
and film training body.
SONY ENTERTAINMENT TV
• Extensive Market Research – Understanding
• WOMEN – Entertainment Channels
MEN – Sports & News
• TARGET AUDIENCE – Working Middle Class
Survey Result “ Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin
Market Strategy – Curiosity Out …Hype In
REBRANDING OF ZEE CHANNELS
Trendz Zee Trendz
Zee English Zee Café
Zee Movie Zone Zee Studio
Smile TV Zee Smile
Alpha Marathi Zee Marathi
Alpha Punjabi Zee Punjabi
Alpha Bengali Zee Bengali
Alpha Gujarati Zee Gujarati
Alpha Telugu Zee Telugu
ZEE’s MARKETING STRATEGY
• Launch of Alpha Channels
• Entering the fashion segment with Zee Trendz
• Zee Cafe, Zee Trendz, Zee regional's, Zee News,
Zee Music , Zee Sports.
• Zee Cine Awards – London, Dubai
ZEE’s MARKETING STRATEGY
•SitiCable, ZIMA, ZICA
•“Jeeyo Zee Bhar Ke”
•Giving a common identityRebranding
THE JOURNEY OF ZEE
Venturing into new territory
Multiplicity of choices
Reaching to regional masses
Sawaal Dus Crore Ki
Prime time band invasion
New variety of programs