1. MATT SPRINGATE VICKY SIMMONS SARAH COTTERELL SOPHIE SIMMONS ANITA ASANTEBROOKLYN BROTHERSBRAINFOODDECEMBER 2011
2. HELLO AGAIN
3. 2011 Steve Jobs dies/ News of the World dissolves/ Julian Barnes wins Man Booker/ London Riots
4. 2011 Adele “21” - best selling album of 21st century/ Scottish singer-songwriter Emeli Sande won Brits Critics Choice award/ Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows highest grossing ﬁlm/ Twilight ‘Beaking Dawn’ most googled ﬁlm.
5. 2011 Stone Roses and Steps reform (seperately)/ Westlife breaks up.
6. ESSEX EFFECTPROJECT PROJECT PROJECT PROJECTPSYCHO CHICTITLE TITLE TITLE DUPER SUPER TITLE OF COLOUR WORLDPROJECT PROJECT PROJECT PROJECTTITLE A LIGHTSHINE TITLE WITH THE FAIRIES AWAY TITLEUS SOME GIVE TITLE YOUR BOAT FLOATPROJECT PROJECT PROJECT PROJECTTITLE TITLE TITLE TITLESEASIDE REVIVE TOO MUCH TOO YOUNG THE C WORD SEXY TIME
7. PSYCHO CHIC
8. THE SKIN I LIVE IN/ DRIVE/ WE NEED TO TALK Being crazy has clearly never been more popular. Recent ﬁlm releases have really delved into the human psyche.ABOUT KEVIN
9. ESSEX EFFECT
10. OLLY MURS/ STACY SOLOMON/ 2 SHOES XFACTOR There’s no stopping the Essex crew; Stacy Solomon crowned Queen of the Jungle, the face ‘Iceland’ supermarket and celebrity ‘Mother of the Year’. Olly Murs had two number 1 hits as well a stint at presenting The Xtra Factor, on which Essex duo ‘2 Shoes’ shot to fame.
11. EDUCATING ESSEX/ THE ESSEX JUNGLE After the success of TOWIE, we saw spin of shows such as Educating Essex and The Essex Jungle.
12. ESSEX-ISMS Words from the hit show TOWIE have invaded popular culture and can now be heard and seen everywhere. Amy Childs is going to be opening up her own beauty salon later this year which will be all about the Vajazzle and there has been an increase in men buying grooming products such as fake tan.
13. THE ONLY GETAWAY IS ESSEX A tourism boom has hit Essex with people ﬂocking to the county in search of the stars and to visit all of the nightspots. Visit England has recently published a guide on all things Essex and all the popular places to visit in the county. Not content with a tourism boom, Essex is also experiencing a retail boom with stars of TOWIE all launching their own boutiques and clothing lines.
14. GLAMPING Glamping has always been popular but has experienced a recent resurgence in populatiry. This year the annual Secret Garden Party quickly sold out with the majority of festival goers opting to spend the night in the expensive Yurts and Tipees. Glastonbury too had famous faces such as Coleen Rooney opting for glamping.
15. THE TOWIE EFFECT Fans of TOWIE have adopted the cast’s ultra-groomed looks. Sales of false eyelashes are up by 36% with demand for false nails rising by 41%.
16. SUPER DUPER
17. SUPERHEROES ON THE SCREEN Warner Brothers have committed to making one new superhero ﬁlm a year.MISFITS/ THE AVENGERS/ CAPTAIN AMERICA/ THEDARK NIGHT RETURNS/ SUPER
18. RISE OF THE CORPORATE SUPERHERO SmarterComics is a new line of books, which transforms 300-page business best sellers into superhero graphic novels.
19. SUPER HEROES 4D - MADAME TUSSAUDS
20. SLINKACHU Street artist Slinkachu has created a documentary about the decline of a tiny, middle aged and balding superhero on the streets of London.
21. THE REAL LIFE SUPER HERO PROJECT The Real Life Superhero Project is a volunteer project that celebrates those “anonymous and selﬂess heroes, that choose everyday to make a difference to the world around them”.
22. CAPES IN FASHION
23. WORLD OF COLOUR
24. LIVING WITH COLOURS From make-up to fashion to houses and entire cities, colour is emerging from every corner.
25. LIVING WITH COLOURS Love is tender clothing collection - Rei Kawakubo. National Technical Library, Prague.
26. LIVING WITH COLOURS Colour has become a trend on the streets, houses and with interior design.
27. LIVING WITH COLOURS Toilet from Red Bull’s new HQ ofﬁce in Amsterdam
28. COLOUR AS BODY ART Meredith Ostrom, featured in Hunger Magazine, is an actress recently acclaimed for painting with her body with multiple colours.
29. VOTE FOR COLOUR The recent super-enthusiastic online reaction to redesign the logo of the City of Melbourne in Australia. People are interested and do acknowledge the difference when colours are used. When did people last get that excited about a city logo?
30. OWN A COLOUR Unicefs latest campaign lets people buy and name their own colour, with all the proceeds donated to charity. You can also choose to give the chosen colour to somebody as a gift.
31. COLOUR AS FASHION Winow displays are more colourful (North Face) and Liberty’s newslettter featured numerous colourful items.
32. SHINE A LIGHT
33. THE PLUMMEN 001 British designer Samuel Wilkinson and product design company Hulger, have won the Brit Insurance Design of the Year 2011 for their redesign of the low energy light bulb.
34. INTERACTIVE MUSIC VIDEO Ellie Goulding recently launched her new single “Lights” together with an interactive music video where the viewer can steer the light beam in different directions, determining the speed of it. You are also encouraged to tweet your name and it will appear as you ﬂy past colourful shapes and forms.
35. FESTIVALS OF LIGHT Lumiere is the second festival of Light held in Durham where over 140.000 people visited. With 35 different installations people gathered to be enlightened with the magical and unusual uses of light. Moscow also held their ﬁrst international festival of light in October 2011.
36. THE LIVING DISCO BALL Bella Berlin was discovered in an underground club by graphic designer Bruno Kolberg. Bella is a native Berliner who started out in the music industry but then decided to move onto Avant-garde dance performances instead. “When she rhythmically moves her body to electronic music, the reﬂecting laser-lights turn her body into a kaleidoscope connecting darkness and light”.
37. A LITRE OF LIGHT A litre of light is a sustainable lighting project which aims to bring the eco-friendly Solar Bottle Bulb to disprivileged communities nationwide. Designed and developed by students from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), the Solar Bottle Bulb is based on the principles of Appropriate Technologies – a concept that provides simple and easily replicable technologies that address basic needs in developing communities. Using recycled plastic bottles, bleach and sealing it to the ceilings of the huts with help of sunlight the bottles illuminate the entire room without use of electricity.
38. LIGHT HOUSES Reykjavik’s new concert hall
39. LIGHT HOUSES (left) The Sea/surf Museum built in Bearritz, France where the architecture has been designed to match the natural light of the area it is built in. Allowing light to bounce off walls and surfaces and mimicking the feeling of being under a giant wave. (right) The Daylight house is an interior illuminated by natural light, 29 skylights help spread a soft diffused light throughout the two story house.
40. THE NEON MAN Chris Bracey has been the Neon Man for 37 years creating iconic art pieces for David la Chappelle, Martin Creed etc. An Exhibition of Chris Bracey’s Gods Own Junkyard Neon Art Signs and Artifacts are currently available at Daniel Poole’s The old Hardware Store, 156 Regents Park Road, NW1 8XN.
41. AWAY WITH THE FAIRIES
42. FAIRY TALES BY VICTOR & ROLF The designer duo have written and illustrated an original fairytale book (out now).
43. FAIRY TALES BY VICTOR & ROLF
44. FAIRY TALE THEATRE Alice in Wonderland - The Royal and Derngate, Northampton Cinderella – Hackney Empire, London Aladdin - Lyric Hammersmith, London
45. FAIRY TALE FILM Snow White, Red Riding Hood & Sleeping Beauty
46. FAIRY TALE FILM Puss in Boots, Snow White
47. HOSPITAL CLUB INVITE
48. FAIRY TALE FASHION MIU MIU
49. FAIRY TALE FASHION Fairy Tale inspired photo shoots from Noi.se #27
50. FAIRY TALE FASHION Mulberry A/W 2011-2012
51. GIVE US SOME
52. BALLOONS OF BHUTAN Instead of ‘Gross National Product”, Bhutan uses Gross National Happiness to measure its socio-economic prosperity. Johnathan Harris gave out balloons in Bhutan and asked people 5 questions pertaining to happiness.
53. THE HALF PROJECT The 1/2 Project is a new social venture by South Korean designer Jiwon Park. It is a series of halved products that help people think about how much they consume. halfproject.org
54. THE NICEST PLACE ON THE INTERNET Had a bad day? Come to the ‘Nicest Place on the Internet’ for a virtual hug. You can upload them too!
55. FRIENDS WITH YOU “Friends with you” was created by Samuel Borkson and Arturo Sandoval III and their mission was to spread the idea of magic, luck and friendship around the world. Through playing, they want to create a new way of interaction between people. “Rainbow City” consisted of inﬂatable sculptures, magic bouncy houses and huge helium balloons in the High Rise park in NY.
56. FLOAT YOUR BOAT
57. FLOATING ARCHITECTURE The world population is drastically expanding while our earth stays the same size. This combined with the rising sea levels presents a tricky problem for room for new spaces. In response, architects’s have been creating ﬂoating structures.
58. BLUESEED FLOATING FORTRESS Blueseed belive US immigration is chalking the ﬂow of ‘bold and creative’ entrepreneurs in Silicon Valley, so its building a ﬂoating IT fortress where entrepreneurs can be creative right next to Silicon Valley without setting foot on U.S. soil.
59. PLASTIC DINING ROOM Goodweather collective and Loki Ocean created a fully catered ﬂoating pavilion, made out of recycled plastic bottles. They worked with ‘school of ﬁsh foundation’ to train and educate local chefs around the world about ocean-friendly seafood.
60. FORGOTTEN SPACES Brunel’s Café by Aurelie Pot, South pillar of the Hungerford and Golden Jubilee Bridges, Lambeth, SE1. This proposal was a runner up in RIBA’S Forgotten Spaces Exhibition.
61. ISLAND IN THE MUR Vito Acconci is a ﬂoating exhibition and performance space in the middle of Mur River in Austria. On each side of the “island,” a bridge connects with the riverbank, linking the ancient town center on one side with newer neighborhoods across the river.
62. SEASIDE REVIVE
63. THE JERWOOD GALLERY - HASTINGS This year has seen a rise in the attempt of urban regeneration of run down seaside by creating cultural institutions.THE TURNER CONTEMPORARY - MARGATEFOLKSTONE TRIENNIAL
64. FESTIVAL OF BRITAIN - SEASIDE SOUTHBANK This years Festival of Britain was themed around the British Seaside.
65. BENNESE AER ISLANDS, Seto Inland Sea Bennese Art foundation transformed the stunning but forgotten islands around the Seto Inland sea, by building architecturally stunning museum spaces. As well as offering a unique surrounding in which to experience art, their presence made a positive contribution to the local community.
66. TOO MUCH TOO YOUNG
67. THE RISE OF THE UNDERAGE SUPERMODEL Elle & Dakota Fanning and Hailee Steinfeld have both modeled for high end fashion brands. The Oh Lola! perfume ad was banned by the ASA, who claimed the image sexualized children. French Vogue criticized over publishing provocative images of 10 year old model Thylane Lean-Rose Blondeau with heavy make-up and stiletto heels.
68. LOVE MAGAZINE COVERS The Supernatural issue of Love Magazine featured 3 cover stars under 15 years old.
69. JOURS APRES LUNES LINE A French Underwear Company has launched focusing on underwear for the under 12s.
70. THE C WORD
71. THE BIG C / BREAKING BAD The hit TV series The Big C and Breaking Bad paved the way for bringing cancer out of the closet and into popular culture.
72. 50/50 / NORMAN / FIVE 50/50 is a comedy inspired by writer Will Reiser’s real-life battle with the disease when he was 25. Norman is an indie ﬁlm about a guy who pretends to have cancer while his father is genuinely afﬂicted. Five is a ﬁlm about ﬁve women dealing with breast cancer, co-directed by Jennifer Aniston, Demi Moore and Alicia Keys.
73. SEXY TIME
74. EROTICA POPULARITY Once what was seen as specialist and something to hide, has now become common-place amongst Londoners. Erotica - the world’s largest erotic show and exhibition for adults has grown in popularity.
75. SLUT WALKS Participants protest against explaining or excusing rape by referring to any aspect of a wom- an’s appearance. They began when a Toronto Police ofﬁcer suggested “woman should avoid dressing like sluts” to remain safe. SlutWalk has drawn much criticism and has been described as “the porniﬁcation of protest”. slutmeansspeakup.org.uk
76. ADULT SEX EDUCATION AT COCO-DE-MER Rachel Roux is hosting educational salons at erotic luxury boutique Coco-De-Mer for people to learn more about sexual pleasure. They host beginners classes in spanking, massage and bondage.
77. MAKE LOVE NOT PORN Make Love Not Porn is intended to to help inspire and stimulate open, healthy conversations about sex and pornography. It was founded by advertising consultant Cindy Gallop who argues that hardcore porn has distorted the way a generation of young men think about sex. It was one of the most talked about audience talks at TED2009. makelovenotporn.com
78. A+ IN LOVE MAKING? The world’s ﬁrst ‘sex school’ in Austria focused on teaching pupils sexual positions and caress- ing techniques in a ‘hands-on’, mixed-gender boarding environment. This was later deemed as a PR stunt created by The Bird, an Austrian advocacy group aiming to draw attention to the countries low birth rate. The “school” is instead intended to function as a trade organization for sex coaches.
79. TODDLERS AND TIARAS TV programme showcasing the competitive world of child pageants.