1. CULTURAL FUEL TREND REPORT - AUGUST 2011 / ISSUE VII THE HUMANKIND AGENCY
2. NEWSLETTER CONTENT <ul><li>Inspiration </li></ul><ul><li>Some creative ideas to inspire you </li></ul><ul><li>Trends </li></ul><ul><li>Hot trends and interesting marketing strategies </li></ul><ul><li>Insights & Opinions </li></ul><ul><li>Research news about target groups and market insights </li></ul>
4. Read full post and see video on http://culturalfuel.net/2011/08/16/new-york-writes-itself/ NEW YORK WRITES ITSELF Great idea by Leo Burnett New York: let New Yorkers collect the many great colorful stories that happen in quotidian New York City, and let other New Yorkers produce them. What better place than NY to do this in? Posted by Alexander Wipf in the Culturalfuel Blog in August. Via: https://www.newyorkwritesitself.com/home.html
5. <ul><li>Source: http://adsoftheworld.com/media/outdoor/nfs_dutch_stutter_foundation_stutter_billboard?size=_original </li></ul>STUTTER BILLBOARD Often not-stuttering people (accidentally) interrupt people who stutter, by finishing their sentences. This billboard tells them this isn’t necessary: most of the time just having a little patience is enough. Advertising Agency: Y&R Not Just Film, Amsterdam, The Netherlands for the NFS (Dutch Stutter Foundation)
6. See how it works on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6ZKOIDE9qg On facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zocmax.nitra ZOC MAX NITRA FACEBOOK CITYLIGHTS For the shopping centre MAX Nitra in Slovakia, the agency ASAPrint created interactive citylights that were mirroring the Facebook page of MAX Nitra. Source: http://inspirationroom.com/
7. WORLD VISION AMBIENT CAMPAIGN Agency: Tempo Advertising; Source: http://adofdamonth.com/world-vision-1000-children/
8. PRINT AD OF THE VOLUNTEER WILDFIRE SERVICE Source: http://www.davidairey.com/from-the-reader-3/ To avoid wildfires and as an appeal to visitors of the great nature of South Africa, Saatchi&Saatchi has created this print ad for the volunteer Wildfire Service.
9. See video on: http://referanser.apt.no/Volkswagen/app/ TEST DRIVE IN AN PRINT AD Volkswagen in Norway has released a print ad that, combined with a mobile phone app, gives you a virtual test drive to dramatize in an innovative way the new features of the car. http://woikr.com/misc/volkswagen-norway-lets-you-test-drive-the-car-from-a-print-ad-video/
10. See on: http://adsoftheworld.com/media/outdoor/galeria_melissa_making_of_the_animation_made_with_350_thousand_de_postit_notes POST-IT STOP MOTION ANIMATION The Brazilian agency Casa Darwin has created a stop-motion animation using 350 thousand Post-it® notes on the facade of the Galeria Melissa, in São Paulo, Brazil, to launch the Melissa Power of Love spring/summer 2012 collection. Twenty-five animators worked for 5 months to create this piece, that is much more than just a beautiful short film documenting a surprise: more than 30 thousand spontaneous love messages left by Melissa fans and visitors.
11. See on: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/19/vitaminwater-bus- station-ads-charge_n_901209.html The American agency CP+B positions it’s energy drink “Vitaminwater” in a bus station ad. Here you can juice up cell phones, iPods, and other USB-compatible devices. As part of Vitaminwater's new "You're Up" campaign, certain bus stations in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Boston offer 5-volt battery-powered USB ports that allow transit riders to plug in while they wait. VITAMINWATER – ALTERNATIVE ENERGY SOURCE
12. Source: http://adofdamonth.com/volkswagen-golf-gti-from-0-to-100-kmh-in-6-9-seconds/ VW GOLF GTI – FROM 0 TO 100/H KM IN 6,9 SEC The agency Grey has installed this billboards to dramatize the speed-up of the VW Golf . Agency: Grey, Israel
13. See on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zJWA3Vo6TU KIA‘S HAMSTER ARE SHUFFLING First they drove. Then they rapped. Now they're dancing (to LMFAO's Party Rock Anthem). But they're not doing any old dance. They're shuffling. And they're doing it harder, faster and better than any hamster has ever shuffled before. Did you see their performance during the MTV VMA's? If not, here is the encore presentation. Not only are the hamsters making a comeback; the Kia Soul, the urban crossover vehicle that started a craze is back and better than ever delivering more power and better fuel efficiency than ever before, the 2012 Kia Soul, "a new way to roll". Funny.
14. <ul><li>http://adsoftheworld.com/taxonomy/brand/victorias_secret </li></ul>VICTORIA‘S SECRET: SEXIER THAN SKIN The outdoor print ad for Victoria’s Secret contains a mobile QR code which will reveal Erin’s secret underneath that code, covering her breast. Expecting a naked Erin, you will see the newest Victoria’s Secret collection when holding your Smartphone in front of the ad made by the Miami Ad School New York.
15. Read full post on http://culturalfuel.net/2011/08/25/the-last-10-years-in-flash/ THE LAST 10 YEARS IN FLASH Alexander Wipf posted in August: You can say whatever you want about the demise of Flash, but it sure a large part of the last 10 years in webdesign. How fitting that Propaganda 3 would make such extensive use of it for their 10 year anniversary site which features a bells-and-whistle timeline. Not sure if this site is older, but just found it on Pixelgangster.de
16. <ul><li>Source: http://adland.tv/content/tweet-ut-ya-and-shine-light-democracy-all-over-world </li></ul>TWEET FOR HUMANITY Developed by Danish Friends of Norway, a light appears on the map every time a user posts something about the massacre Utoya. Tweet #Utøya, and shine a light for democracy all over the world
17. Source: http://adofdamonth.com/mini-pole-position/ AMBIENT CAMPAING OF MINI: POLE POSITION During the morning rush hour, MINI brought drivers into pole position with a special guerrilla poster at the traffic lights. The message was clear at first glance: speed yourself up. The sleek special model MINI Ace catapults its drivers from zero to the maximum legal speed and further in no time. The picture montage was specially created for this location and thus gave the perfect illusion. Advertising Agency: Draftfcb/Lowe Group, Zürich, Switzerland
18. See video on http://vimeo.com/26858445 INSANE 404 PAGE Well, here is one webmaster who had enough time on his hands to make a movie instead of a boring 404 message. Posted by Alexander Wipf. Read his post on http://culturalfuel.net/2011/08/08/insane-404-page/
19. See video on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP4tKT6CgOY See also on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=269659726384258 Source: http://www.creativeadvertising.de/?p=1508 LG VOICE REMOVER – TRANSFORM CONSUMER TO A LEAD SINGER To highlight the special feature of the LG MCV904 Mini System that removes the vocals from any music allowing the user to sing as if in a karaoke bar. Young & Rubicam, Brazil placed the consumers as the lead singers on the cover of their favorite CDs attaching little convex mirrors over the singers’ pictures. Therefore, when they were at the CD store looking at the CDs, people would see themselves reflected as the lead singer of that band. The action lasted for 7 days and took place on 6 CD stores, reaching approximately 25,000 people, costing only 2 cents per impact.
20. See video on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6ITLA36uXM Source: http://www.ibelieveinadv.com/2011/08/mcdonalds-ice-sculpture-stunt/ AMBIENT: FIRST INTERACTIVE ICE SCULPTURE McDonald’s Canada and Cossette in Vancouver have brought to life one of the first interactive ice sculptures on behalf of McDonald’s Restaurants in Alberta, driving consumer interest in the company’s Dollar Drink Days campaign. Hosted in the town of Sylvan Lake, the stunt saw 8,000 pounds of ice moulded into a seven-foot tall installation, containing over 4,000 sparkling loonies, shaped into McDonald’s famous Golden Arches™. The ice melted on a summer Saturday, consumers chipped away at the sculpture to collect their ‘bounty.’ The sculpture was strategically placed near the Sylvan Lake Pier – an area frequented by young adults and families, and surrounded by recreational summer activities – in order to attract high levels of interaction.
21. See video on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAJoNR2Oq9Y STREET-RECRUITMENT CAMPAIGN As part of a recruitment campaign by the New Zealand Police the street artist Otis Frizzell has stenciled a foot chase scene, depicting the story of two officers, Constable Julia Vahry and Constable Madeline Roberts. The officers are executing a perfect pincer movement as the perpetrator runs into their well-laid trap. Source: http://www.artschoolvets.com/news/2011/08/09/otis-frizell-stencilkampagne-fur-die-neuseelandische-polizei/
22. PERSON PINBALL – 2011 ANIMATION BLOCK PARTY ‘OUTRO‘ Passing pedestrians become pinball play. Closing bumper at the 2011 Animation Block Party Film Festival in New York City. Posted by Florian Geiger. Read on http://culturalfuel.net/2011/08/09/person-pinball-2011-animation-block-party-outro/ See on http://vimeo.com/27137902
23. LAST MINUTE BILLBOARD The idea of this campaign is a last minute billboard for a last minute offer! Simple and catchy idea. Headline: “Our offers are so last minute that we could only create this ad last minute”. Source: http://www.amsterdamadblog.com/2011/08/30/last-minute-billboard/
24. See on http://culturalfuel.net/2011/08/19/volkswagon-bluemotion-roulette/ VOLKSWAGEN BLUE MOTION ROULETTE Sometimes a technical, abstract product benefit is just the thing you need to force you to deliver a creative, fun promotion. Nice job, here, by Volkswagen: Posted by Jay Denhart.
25. See on: http://www.sixtblog.de/werbekampagnen/knochenauto- skulptur-am-flughafen-muenchen/ SIXT‘S EXTINCTION We all know Jung von Matt’s Sixt campaigns and here is the newest one. The copy on the wall says: “Thanks to Sixt expensive rental cars have become extinct.” The car skeleton is placed at the Stuttgart airport. The basic module is actually a real car, fully taken apart, bonded with Styrofoam and formed into a skeleton.
26. See on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ93ONkAKFs&feature =player_embedded#! GARANTI BANK Garanti Bank wanted to get their clients to use online banking. Since the number of online clients was stagnating, they used a very effective Dialogue Marketing campaign to address each non-online-banker personally in a surprising real-time way. The bank made their customers belief they were the last person on earth who do not use online banking.
27. PLAY FOR SHOES Aldo Shoes promotes it‘s new shoe collection with an online promotion: Play and win 3 online games and you get 15 % off your next ALDO purchase. The games are Rockin' Roulette, Spin n' Win and Magic Hat Trick. They are easy to play and you can play as many times as you want. Agency: Skinny Source: http://www.walletpop.ca/blog/2011/08/31/play-to-win-aldo-shoes-and-a-15-discount/ Play on http://aldoshoesforlife.com
28. A UNIQUE PHYSICAL 3D VIDEO-MAPPING EXPERIENCE This all-white living room uses video mapping from two projectors to transform the motif of the room instantly. Incredible! Source: http://shedwa.blogspot.com/2011/02/project-any-decor-on-white-living-room.html See on http://vimeo.com/18460233
29. <ul><li>Source: http://scaryideas.com/content/25050 </li></ul>AMBIENT CAMPAIGN: 90-60-90 90-60-90: “Are you ready to slim with cherry stalk Bioder ?” For the product launch CLP’s close the point of sale and shopping malls all aver Istanbul were selected and a special application with a convex mirror was used. The person in front of the CLP was able to see herself in the mirror slender. Advertising Agency: Speed Medya, Istanbul, Turkey
30. NISSBARU, TOYAZDA & VOLKSUBISHI You can see a lot of those models on the streets, no matter which combination. Nice illustration and a straight forward copy. Check out the others on http://www.ibelieveinadv.com/2011/09/road-safe-hawkes-bay-volksubishi-toyazda-nissbaru/
31. For more versions please see: http://www.ibelieveinadv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/20_minutos_newspaper_Shower_ibelieveinadv.jpg SPANISH NEWSPAPER IN A NUTSHELL Miami Ad School created this great ad for “20 Minutos”, a Spanish newspaper, distributed for free, and containing a basic compilation of daily news. And let’s be honest: sometimes, it’s just better we know the relevant stuff. http://www.ibelieveinadv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/20_minutos_newspaper_Chinese_ibelieveinadv.jpg
33. See on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=992Y_6B0DXc&feature=related SONY‘S PERSONAL 3D VIEWER HEAD-MOUNTAIN DISPLAY At the IFA 2011 Sony demonstrated their prototype of the “Personal 3D Viewer”, HMZ-T1, - the world’s first 3D compatible Head Mounted Display equipped with high definition OLED panel. It is a wearable headset with twin OLED displays and simulated 5.1 surround sound - it puts you right into the heart of movies and gaming. A new way to enjoy movies and games in High Definition and 3D. Source: http://de.engadget.com/2011/08/31/ifa-2011-sony-personal-3d-viewer-hands-on/
34. GROCERY STORE COUPONS DELIVERED IN REAL TIME VIA SHOPPING CART TABLETS SK Telecom is testing a Smart Cart service in China that synchronizes tablet-equipped shopping carts with consumers’ smartphones to offer a wide array of position-relevant information in real-time. SK Telecom’s Smart Cart is the world’s first shopping cart service to use smartphones to deliver in-store information using indoor positioning technology, the company says. Read article on http://www.springwise.com/telecom_mobile/grocery-store-coupons-delivered-real-time-shopping-cart-tablets/
35. Read post on the culturalfuel.net: http://culturalfuel.net/2011/08/25/adobes-html-5-benchmark-site/ ADOBE‘S HTML 5BENCHMARK SITE Since I just blogged about Flash, here goes HTML 5, also found on Pixelgangster. Good to see the Flash company take HTML 5 seriously instead trying to avoid the seemingly inevitable. Posted by Alexander Wipf.
36. Read post on the culturalfuel.net: http://culturalfuel.net/2011/08/24/introducing-the-google-catalogs-tablet-app/ GOOGLE CATALOGS Florian Geiger posted: A Catalog app that aggregates the worlds leading brands and retailers under one little screen, providing a rich, interactive shopping experience, that will also deliver Google a whole new revenue stream. The app allows you to flip through catalogue pages as you’d expect, and extends that to detailing out each product, playing videos and other rich content, while providing a “Buy Now” button to launch the brands e-comm store or “Find A Store” button which instantly maps locations with directions. So who’s on board so far? Urban Outfitters, Williams-Sonoma, Sephora, Macys, Bloomingdales, Crate&Barrel, Lands’ End, Nordstrom, Patagonia, UGG and many many of others!
37. <ul><li>See how it works on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0BHLytP1bg </li></ul>AUGMENTED REALITY: TV SIZE-GUIDE FROM SONY Augmented Reality is not really a trend anymore but Sony utilizes this technique in a smart way for their consumers. Sony offers their buyers the augmented reality technique to find the right TV size and model to see how it would look in their home without ever having to set foot outside.
38. See on vimeo: http://vimeo.com/27723919 Source: http://www.creativeadvertising.de/?p=1511 and http://www.zillamag.com/advertising/the-worlds-most-liked-showroom-by-ikea SOCIAL SHOPPING BY IKEA. "The world's most liked showroom" Two students of the Rotterdam’s Willem de Kooning Academy developed a solution for Ikea to get onto the social shopping wave, they create “The World’s most liked showroom” - a virtual showroom where IKEA displays the world's most liked items. It simply consists in adding Facebook Like buttons near their products to then determine which products are most popular and then create a dedicated showroom.
39. WACOM INKLING Wacom introduces Inkling, a new digital sketch pen that captures a digital likeness of your work while you sketch with its ballpoint tip on any sketchbook or standard piece of paper. You plug it into your computer and suddenly you are able to change vectors and lines of your sketch! See on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fXbBA1DRE84
40. Source photo and article: http://www.focus.de/digital/multimedia/ifa/messe-2011/ifa-trend-smart-tv-apps-fuer-den-fernseher_aid_659027.html APPS FOR THE TV Smart-TV receives internet-content on your TV-screen! A huge selection of Apps is available for download, even Video-calling is now possible with Skype via an additionally installed cam. The internet connection can be plugged in or wireless. Samsung and Philips Smart TVs even have Flash-support. Take a look at the website posted below to read about all the other great features of Smart-TVs.
41. <ul><li>Source: http://www.signature9.com/fashion/net-a-porter-live-offers-a-voyeuristic-real-time-fashion-fix </li></ul>SEE WHO‘S BUYING WHAT The online shopping giant Net-A-Porter.com released Live a global map that shows, in real-time, what Net-a-Porter's fashion-minded customers are buying.
42. <ul><li>See on http://klout.com/home </li></ul><ul><li>Source: Medientrends von Bauer Media August 2011. </li></ul>ONLINE-REPUTATION AS CURRENCY To find people who have extremely large social networks a tool like Klout.com could help. Klout is an online service that measures Twitter and Facebook user’s influence on a base of an “influence score”. To reward their 100.000 users with the highest online-reputation with a membership at Spotify, a digital music service gives you access to millions of songs. Thus, reputation becomes the new online currency.
43. <ul><li>See on http://gapad.net/ </li></ul>MONETIZE THE MOMENT WHEN PEOPLE LEAVE YOUR WEBSITE When people leave a site to visit another site, the British company GapAd displays an advert in the gap between the two sites for a few seconds. GapAd is aiming to monetize the event of people leaving your website. Their technology automatically places ad triggers on all of the exit links and displays targeted adverts when people leave the site. Source: http://thenextweb.com/apps/2011/06/24/gapad-ads-that-are-either-terribly-brilliant-or-just-plain-terrible/
44. See on: http://vimeo.com/27046532 FACEBOOK INTEGRATION AT USHUAIA BEACH HOTEL It’s the first Facebook sharing initiative for the hotel industry. Hotel guests, and everyone who attends the concerts, will be given the option of wearing a slim RFID wristband synchronized to their Facebook profile. Throughout the hotel there will be various points where guests can check in, take pictures or post a status according to where they are positioned in the hotel, simply by swiping their wristband across a sensor.
45. NOKIA MAPS UPDATED WITH HEAT MAPS AND CITIES IN 3D Nokia released new features for Nokia Maps: the Heat Maps. With Heat Maps you can check out where the hot spots are for shopping, nightlife, food, and tourist attractions. Hotel booking is also available. Want to know more about how these features work? Then check on: http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/07/27/nokia-maps-set-the-3d-world-on-fire-with-heat-maps/ Source: http://www.basicthinking.de/blog/2011/07/27/nokia-heat-maps-zeigen-an-wo-in-einer-stadt-was-los-ist/ See on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQy5hrnL7F4
46. INSIGHTS & OPINIONS
47. WHY APPLE NEEDS TO CHANGE OR DIE <ul><li>Alexander Wipf posted in August on the cultural fuel blog : </li></ul><ul><li>“ While Apple is busy planning its new grandiose headquarter offices in Cupertino and celebrating its recent successes, some voices have words of admonishment. Using the example of the lack of success of the iAd platform, Brandt Dainow points out: </li></ul><ul><li>The point is Apple runs a restricted, tightly controlled environment in a world that loves the free market. History has shown us, over and over again, that free markets always win out over closed ones. </li></ul><ul><li>A rule, that most people seem to have forgotten when it comes to Apple. So far the exceptional innovation culture at Apple has delivered products that people finally really wanted, more or less making people forget that they are buying into a closed system. </li></ul><ul><li>Now, Apple is protecting questionable aspects of their innovations, such as the rounded corners on iDevices by filing patent law suits. Is this a sign of having reached their innovation plateau, or is it just good business practice? </li></ul><ul><li>Granted, there are many more companies that should worry about their state of innovation than Apple, but, still, in a sense, Apple has reached a plateau that may require a look at its purpose beyond having revolutionized the consumer electronics space. With having proven they can, what is the next thing we can expect from Apple? I doubt creating more types of iDevices or living from iOS updates is the topic here. Some say, in the midterm, Apple could deal with the much neglected enterprise and B2B markets, but that doesn’t necessarily mean new revolutionary innovation on the scale we have witnessed with the introduction of iPhone and iPad. </li></ul><ul><li>And maybe, just maybe, with whatever the “next thing” is for Apple, it will have to be a bit more open.” </li></ul><ul><li>Read post and comments on http://culturalfuel.net/2011/08/18/why-apple-needs-to-change-or-die/ </li></ul>
48. Joshua Foer: Step Outside Your Comfort Zone and Study Yourself Failing OK-ness is the enemy of greatness. At the 99% Conference, journalist Joshua Foer illustrates why we must step outside of our comfort zones to achieve truly remarkable things. Posted by Florian Geiger. See video on http://vimeo.com/27067169
49. <ul><li>Source: http://walyou.com/iphone-users-infographic/ </li></ul>THE 7 TYPES OF iPHONE OWNERS Due to the fact of 70 million sold iPhones Shane Snow (for all area codes) developed different types of iPhone users and their motives to answer the question “What types of people buy an iPhone?“ Let’s have a look at this info graphic on http://visual.ly/iphone-user-profiles
50. WHY AD AGENCIES ARE BECOMING INCUBATORS <ul><li>Alexander Wipf posted: Interesting Article over on the Agency Collaboration Blog about the trend that agencies are starting to become incubators, and why. </li></ul><ul><li>In some ways, it’s easier for agencies to become incubators than venture capitalists. The capital requirements are much lower (YCombinator invests $20,000 per company; a traditional VC fund generally requires at least $20 million in capital), and because the market is still relatively new, it’s easier for new entrants to break in. </li></ul><ul><li>As traditional agencies have a harder time to eek out profitable margins against specialised agencies, this seems to make sense in order to start making money for thinking/initiating that getting paid for a specialized implementation job. </li></ul><ul><li>Read full post on http://culturalfuel.net/2011/08/24/why-ad-agencies-are-becoming-incubators/ </li></ul>
51. iPad IS A PERFECT ADVERTISING MEDIUM According to the Media-Impact-Panel by Axel Springer the iPad is the perfect advertising medium. 43 % of iPad users tap the print ad. 62 % of all users claims to have more fun to read newspaper / magazine content on the tablet. The tablet is an essential and constant companion for 78 percent of all users. Tablet users are a highly attractive target group: 76 percent call their economic situation "good" or "very good". Read more about the study or download the study on http://www.axelspringer-mediapilot.de/artikel/Medien-Forschungsberichte-Medien_747753.html (in German)
52. Released by Planning Department Frankfurt August 2011 For submission of interesting news, inspiration and comments please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org