1. Dating, lies and algorithmsDating, lies and algorithms
We were all single onceWe were all single once
Yesterday 33% of couples met online. It will be 70% by 2040
The effect of the internet on matingThe effect of the internet on mating
4. Physical first, personality secondPhysical first, personality second
5. Personality first, physical secondPersonality first, physical second
6. Celebrate! The geeks won?Celebrate! The geeks won?
7. It's been a periodic victory?It's been a periodic victory?
8. Not so fast... the fightback has startedNot so fast... the fightback has started
9. Social dating is on the riseSocial dating is on the rise
10. But think about the data!But think about the data!
11. Think about the money!Think about the money!
The US dating service market is estimated to be worth $2.2 billion!
1. IAC (Match.com, OkCupid, Tinder, ...) at 27%
2. eHarmony at 13.8%
3. Zoosk at 5.1%
4. Spark Networks (JDate, Christian Mingle, ...) at 3.2%.
12. Money you say?Money you say?
UK's biggest online dating
companies is Edinburgh-based
Cupid plc, a company which
generated revenue of £81m last
The average dating site
£150 per year
13. ...oh that's where the money has gone...oh that's where the money has gone
14. Imagine if you were deviousImagine if you were devious
15. Imagine if you liedImagine if you lied
16. Lacked moral judgementLacked moral judgement
17. ...or simply had shareholders and investors...or simply had shareholders and investors
Imagine what you could do with all thatImagine what you could do with all that
19. Learn from the dealersLearn from the dealers
20. Offer a free trial to new usersOffer a free trial to new users
21. Raise the level of urgencyRaise the level of urgency
22. Make it more addictive than a class A drugMake it more addictive than a class A drug
23. Add game dynamics and repeatAdd game dynamics and repeat
24. Make it like shopping for bread or milkMake it like shopping for bread or milk
25. Abundant blur of facesAbundant blur of faces
26. Make it easy and attractive to start againMake it easy and attractive to start again
27. Sell the greener grass, on the other sideSell the greener grass, on the other side
28. If you're not paying, you are the product?If you're not paying, you are the product?
31. Fake profiles which message people leavingFake profiles which message people leaving
Florida mom's photos used
in more than 200 bogus
$1.5 billion lawsuit
32. Offer no protection to your usersOffer no protection to your users
“the company ignores the fraudulent profiles and also creates its own”
33. Introduce premium match algorithmsIntroduce premium match algorithms
34. Charge for personalised searchesCharge for personalised searches
35. Paid dating “experts”Paid dating “experts”
36. Matching algorithms lies?Matching algorithms lies?
The past 80 years of scientific research about what makes people
romantically compatible suggests that such sites are unlikely to do what
they claim to do.”
A recent paper from the Association of Psychological Science was pretty
clear that there's little evidence for any matching algorithm's scientific merit
("no compelling evidence supports matching sites" claims that
mathematical algorithms work")
37. Lawsuits? Sell the data, get out!Lawsuits? Sell the data, get out!
plaintiffs in the case are arguing that the
company fraudulently misled them about their
services, charging $1,000 per year for
services that they did not deliverhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/agude/2850198138/
Two major online dating agencies
are being sued for alleged fraud
38. Is LOVE intangible?Is LOVE intangible?
39. Do weDo we actuallyactually want to quantify LOVE?want to quantify LOVE?
40. Remember sex education at school?Remember sex education at school?
Dr. Fisher earned a BA in Anthropology and Psychology from New
York University in 1968; an MA in Physical Anthropology, Cultural
Anthropology, Linguistics, and Archeology from the University of
Colorado at Boulder in 1972, and a PhD in Physical Anthropology:
Human Evolution, Primatology, Human Sexual Behavior, and
Reproductive Strategies from the University of Colorado at Boulder
in 1975. She is a leading expert on the biology of love and
attraction. She is currently the most referenced scholar in the love
research community. In 2005, she was hired by match.com
45. Facebook is the ultimate dating siteFacebook is the ultimate dating site
46. Thank you... (Thank you... (no dating sites were harmed in this talkno dating sites were harmed in this talk))
Ian Forrester |Ian Forrester | cubicgarden.com | @cubicgardencubicgarden.com | @cubicgarden