On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
A University Web Team's Approach to Google AnalyticsPresentation Transcript
A University Web Team’s Approach
Chris Traganos | ABCD-WWW
• Google Analytics is an enterprise grade
web service that provides detailed and
accurate reporting on website metrics.
• Unique marketing based approach to
analyzing web traffic.
• Free for use with a Google Account
• Multiple sites can be analyzed, along with
multiple users per site (administrators &
view only reports are options).
• University Operations Services (UOS) is a
service organization within Harvard.
• Provides many essential services used by
the Harvard community on a daily basis.
• Website has monthly traffic of 20k unique
visitors averaging 100k pageviews.
• Previous metrics software was WebTrends
• The vast majority of our users visit
www.uos.harvard.edu because they need
specific services and information.
• By reviewing the metric using Analytics,
we can better serve the user while they
travel throughout our website.
• The Google Analytics Tracking Code
every page within the site. It collects
anonymous visitor data and sends it back
to Google for processing. Results are
within 3-4 hours of real time.
• The load time is extremely short since the
ga.js (18kb) is cached from any site using ga.js
Analytics. The individual site data is
stored in your Google account only.
Insert Tracking Code
Insert the following
code into repeating
Compare site with industry wide metrics.
Custom Reporting BETA
• Create your own
reports based on
the dimension -
Advanced Segments BETA
Motion Charts BETA
• Color of bubble
• Size of bubble
• Motion over time
• Ad Filters such as NoScript and AdBlock
can block the GATC from collecting data.
have similar blocking issues.
• Such gaps in data collection are considered
acceptable since the aggregate metric data
is accurate. (3.05% in the US)
Discussion for group:
• Use Google Analytics or other web metrics
software at the University?