Company Name: Sweet Escape Type of Business: bakery boutique Business Image: A bakery that enables the consumer to escape into different places around the world while enjoying scrumptious baked goods and adorable themed and boutique items. Target Market: Middle and Upper-Class around downtown Dallas. We hope to reach mostly the students at SMU and working families.
Sweet Escape Bakery will look to employ friendly and genuine people with a young spirit. Employees should have excellent customer service as well as hygiene. We will not discriminate against anyone, however employees must be ready to maintain customer happiness in all situations.
Our customers will primarily consist of SMU students looking for an escape from reality. We will also target working families with children looking to appease their sweet tooth. Targeting fun spirited young adults with an open mind. Specifically we are looking for the working mom, the social students and the outgoing trendy people with a reliable income. We also hope to reach the children that will bring their families to the store. The location itself will be ideal for new customers from the area as well as tourists in town for events. The front of our store will be a giant window which will show off our energetic staff, delicious baked goods and our different kinds of relaxing environment inside. The customers will come back based on what a great experience they previously had with our food, service and interior. We will also hold contests, giveaways and frequent buyer cards which will reward our customers for their loyalty and business. A fun-loving, outgoing and optimistic lifestyle. They will be willing to try new things and will be very social. Our customers will of course hope to have an amazing treat every time they purchase our items. They can also purchase items to help them bake at home and recreate some of our products. With our frequent buying cards they will also be enabled to get a free baked good after some time. Our MOD will be very involved in the business and will be friendly with all customers ensuring they are receiving exactly the quality service we sought out to give. The managers and leaders must be understanding and create a comfortable environment for both the worker and customer to enjoy. We want our workers to look forward to coming in so they will share their pride for their product. We will have a variety of flavors and baked goods for customers to be able to decide on. The best way we reach each individual’s taste and interest is having created the “create-a-cupcake” option where they can personalize exactly the flavors they desire. The different kinds of rooms can personify peoples interest as well as their mood. We also have the boutique portion of the store where those who are bakers themselves can indulge in a different type of purchasing. Shopping patterns fluctuate based on weather, season, time of day, and psychological factors as well. We want our customers shopping patterns to be more on a regular basis such as once a week treat rather than buying in bulk with several months in between. With school in session our busiest time would probably be between 12-5pm when most college students are taking a break from class or when associates get off work.
Shopacrosstexas.com lists many bakeries in the Dallas area that we would be competing with such as The Cake Ball Company, Casa Linda bakery, Celebrity bakery, JD’s Chippery, and Sprinkles.
Sysco is one of the top suppliers and provides quality, reliable products at a reasonable price. For perishable ingredients such as fresh fruit and milk we will work with local famers as a way to increase our community involvement. Kerekes is a distributor of quality tools, supplies and equipment for every food service establishment. We will use them for not only baking accessories needed by our own chefs but also for our boutique merchandise.
Technological Forces: We will use a POS system for selling as well as monitoring our peak selling hours and products. We will also provide our customers with a personalization process called “create-a-cupcake.” It will enable customers to custom make cupcakes based on flavors, frosting, possible toppings, etc. Social networking sites for promotions Website will have flavors, store hours and location, create a cupcake form Natural Forces: Weather is a potential problem with distributors and fresh products from local vendors. When an issue arises we will go to a different supplier that has the product. Could decrease sales since less people shop in bad weather
Political/Legal Forces: All bakers must obtain a Food Handlers License and we will enforce strict hygiene policies. All workers must wear non-slip work shoes (dress code) to ensure a safe work environment. We will also train the staff in harassment policies and creating a comfortable working environment. Social Culture: Our customers deserve a break from their hectic lives and we can provide them with the experience they are looking for. Students love to indulge and will be excited for a new kind of dessert experience that is relatively close to campus.
Utilitarian needs will be satisfied through an array of quality food and drink items on our menu. Service will be reliable, the location will be convenient, and our products will be something the customer can always depend upon. However, this will not be enough to draw in most people. Sweet Escape will attract customers through a combination of both utilitarian as well as hedonic benefits. Hedonic needs will be met by providing an exciting décor in which the customer can feel as if they have been transported to a new tourist location with each purchase of one of our delectable bakery items. We are offering an aesthetically pleasing and relaxing atmosphere in which our customers may momentarily escape the tedious tasks of their everyday lives. By meeting both of these needs, we will appeal to a larger mass and create a loyal following fairly quickly.
Experiential consumption: The Sweet Escape Bakery provides both utilitarian and hedonic benefits to its customers. Not only will customers be able to enjoy delicious baked goods, they will also get to soak up the feel of different cities without even leaving town. This is great for those with the desire to travel, but don’t have the means. Thematic Retailing: Since The Sweet Escape Bakery is destination themed; the consumers will be able to feel like they are in a completely different city. There will be several different “destinations” that coordinate with popular travel cities. We will encourage our customers to come back by offering them great treats as well as service and a fun experience. Value Retailing: Since value retailing is becoming a huge trend in the retail world, we will cater to those customers by offering a reward card. After receiving a set number of punches, the customer will be able to receive a free baked good or set dollar amount off of merchandise. We will also offer our customers a birthday cupcake to celebrate with on their birthday. We want our customers to feel that they are getting value for the price.
Bad to just say Asia???? Should we say Japan or China instead?
2. Sweet Escape Bakery will provide a temporary escape into popular destinations and allow everyone to become a child again with our desserts.
3. <ul><li>Sweet Escape Bakery would like to open up another location in the North Texas area in the next 5 years. </li></ul><ul><li>Create a loyal following with frequent customer perks that encourage positive word of mouth. </li></ul><ul><li>Obtain and maintain a dependable and diverse customer base through excellent customer service. </li></ul><ul><li>Use demographic trends to help us better reach our target market in different locations. </li></ul>
4. <ul><li>Earn a 3% profit of net sales for the first year, increasing 1% every year for the next 4 years. </li></ul><ul><li>Cut unnecessary expenditures while still maintaining the same exceptional quality and reasonable prices so that customers become “addicted.” </li></ul><ul><li>Use experiential retailing, excellent customer service, and an aesthetically pleasing environment to grow the business. </li></ul><ul><li>Create brand awareness and attract investors by becoming actively involved in the community. </li></ul>
5. <ul><li>Become recognized as a top bakery in the DFW area by local magazines and polls within 3 years. </li></ul><ul><li>Use customer feedback cards in order to improve service and company standards. </li></ul><ul><li>Serve premium products while maintaining reasonable prices. </li></ul><ul><li>Thoroughly train employees to be well-rounded and provide the “on vacation” experience as well as quality service. </li></ul>
6. <ul><li>Employees </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Friendly, genuine people with a young spirit </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Excellent customer service skills </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Food Handlers License and good hygiene </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Ready to maintain customer happiness in all situations </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Sweet Escape Bakery will not discriminate for any reason </li></ul></ul>
7. <ul><li>Potential Customers </li></ul><ul><ul><li>SMU students </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Moms and children </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Working families </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Brides </li></ul></ul>
8. <ul><li>Competitors </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Sprinkles </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>The Cake Ball Company </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Casa Linda Bakery </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Celebrity Bakery </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>JD’s Chippery </li></ul></ul>
12. <ul><li>Economic Growth </li></ul><ul><li>We will make sure we give the customer a great experience and desire to come back. Not only are we a place to get away from everyday life, but we also offer sweet snacks. </li></ul><ul><li>Demographic Forces </li></ul><ul><li>Shopping and lifestyle behavior of Dallas residents show that they are willing to pay more for extra experiences. </li></ul>
13. <ul><li>Population as of July 2008: 1,279,910 </li></ul><ul><li>A7.7% increase since 2000. </li></ul><ul><li>Median Age : 30.5 years </li></ul><ul><li>Median Income for a Household : $40,796 </li></ul><ul><li>Students of SMU: 10,941 </li></ul><ul><li>http://www.city-data.com/city/Dallas-Texas.html </li></ul>
14. <ul><li>Consumer & Retail Trends </li></ul><ul><li>Sweet Escape Bakery customers will receive the best baked goods at a reasonable and competitive price and get amazing service in a great environment. We are based on an experiential retailing idea and will be appealing and satisfying. </li></ul>
15. <ul><li> </li></ul>Utilitarian vs Hedonic
16. <ul><li>Experiential Consumption: </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Provides both utilitarian and hedonic benefits </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Able to enjoy delicious baked goods and the feeling of different cities without even leaving town </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Thematic Retailing: </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Destination themed </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Offer them great treats as well as service and a fun experience </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Value Retailing: </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Reward card </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Birthday cupcake </li></ul></ul>
17. Daily Cupcakes Ying Yang: Marble Cake with Cocoa icing Fort Worth Fudge: Cocoa cake with cocoa glaze Virginia Vanilla: Vanilla cake with vanilla icing SoCal Low Cal: Angel food cake with fresh fruit Japanese Rose Garden: Confetti cake with strawberry icing Luscious Louvre: strawberry cake with cream cheese icing Daily Cookies Chinese Chocolate Dipped fortune cookies Colorado Trail Mix: filled with nuts, raisins and oats Minnesota Macadamia Nut: white cocoa chips & macadamia nuts Portland Glazers: vanilla cookie with cocoa glaze Everything’s bigger in Texas cookie: Big size & Big taste Create-a-cupcake: Any base cake with any icing and up to one additional topping *must be ordered 24 hours in advance* Pricing $3.25/cupcake $36/dozen cupcakes $1.75/cookie $18/dozen cookies $3.50/create-a-cake Cakes 6" Round serves 10 $32 8" Round serves 15 $47 9" Round serves 20 $62 10" Round serves 25 $87 12" Round serves 40 $112 Drinks Milk $2.50 Chocolate Milk $2.50 Coffee $1.75 Hot Cocoa $2.75
18. <ul><li>Bahama Banana : Banana cupcake with cream cheese icing </li></ul><ul><li>Carribbean Coconut : coconut cake with vanilla frosting with coconut shavings </li></ul><ul><li>Sinful sydney: Red Velvet cake with cream cheese icing </li></ul><ul><li>Big Apple : Apple cinnamon cake with cream cheese frosting and cinnamon sugar on top </li></ul><ul><li>Rockapolco Rocky Road : cocoa cake with marshmellow, nuts and chocolate shavings </li></ul><ul><li>Okahoma Smores : Cocoa cake with marshmellow topping and graham cracker </li></ul><ul><li>Italian tiramisu : Moist Bourban cake with cocoa icing </li></ul><ul><li>Georgia Peach : Vanilla cake with peach icing </li></ul><ul><li>Florida Orange : Vanilla cake with orange icing </li></ul><ul><li>Jamocha : cocoa cake with mocha frosting </li></ul><ul><li>Mexican Margarita : key lime cake with cream cheese icing and sugar crystals on top </li></ul><ul><li>Louisiana Lemon Poppyseed : lemon poppyseed with cream cheese icing </li></ul><ul><li>Puerto Rico PB & Cocoa : Peanut butter cake with cocoa frosting </li></ul><ul><li>NY Cheesecake : bourbon cake with cream cheese icing and graham cracker on top </li></ul><ul><li>Country Pumpkin: Pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting and graham cracker on top </li></ul><ul><li>Taszmania Devils Food Cake: Devils food cake with cocoa icing </li></ul><ul><li>Bourbon St. Cake : Bourbon cake with strawberry icing </li></ul><ul><li>Sarahara Strawberries: Strawberry cake with cocoa frosting </li></ul><ul><li>Maui Wowie : Pineapple cake with cream cheese icing </li></ul><ul><li>Singapore Snickerdoodle : Cinnamon sugar vanilla cake topped with cream cheese frosting </li></ul><ul><li>Ireland Baileys: cocoa cake with mint icing and cocoa shavings </li></ul>