Desperately seeking content:Why service providers increasingly search for quality training videos Paul Van Mele
Overview1 Method2 Video uptake and use3 Agricultural videos on the internet4 Feasibility of web-based platform5 Access Agriculture
1. Method• On-line survey in English, French and Spanish• Over 700 follow-up emails• Interviews with people in S Asia and W Africa• Literature and web review• Professional experience
Table 1. Respondents to survey on video use(n=505 per August 29, 2011) Number %National research & university 119 24International research & development 81 16International NGO 64 13National or local NGO 55 11Extension service 39 8Radio 24 5Food industry 23 5Farmer organization 19 4Communication enterprise 12 2Other 69 14
2. Video uptake and use• Flexibility in use• Compact discs for easy dissemination• Rural radio stations and networks• Private sector• Television• Mobile phones• Video viewing clubs• Busses• Special events• Quality video enables multiple uses
50 % of respondents 40 38 30 23 19 20 15 10 4 0Figure 1. Frequency of use of video to train farmers (n=448)
Table 2. Reasons for not or rarely using video (n=166) Number %I dont know where to look for videos 59 25I haven’t found videos on the right subject 39 16I haven’t found videos in local language 54 23Other 86 36
70 60% of respondents 50 40 to reach women to reach youth 30 to reach illiterate 20 to train groups 10 0 Very Quite Fairly A little Not Figure 2. Usefulness of video
Video offers good opportunities to enhance learning among rural children and women.
Promoting sustainable agriculture among rural people is best done by building on discovery learning principles, as developed in farmer field schools.
3. Agricultural videos on the internet • Internet use by farmers • Internet use by intermediaries • Is YouTube doing the job?
30 28 24 % of respondents 21 20 17 10 10 0Figure 5. Frequency of searching web for training videos, n=442
But limiting to local language versions alone 100 inhibits global sharing 85 and use for farmer 80 training % of respondents 60 40 20 11 3 1 1 0 Very Quite Fairly A little NotFigure 3. Importance of local language of video (n=438)
4. Feasibility of web-based platform • Opportunities: • Growing interest in extension • Attention to farmer innovation • More organizations want to enhance their impact at regional level • Many service providers have expressed their interest in using quality videos
Across countries, crops often have common plant health issues and solutions.
70 59 % of respondents 60 50 40 30 23 20 11 10 6 1 0 Very Quite Fairly A little NotFigure 6. Perceived usefulness to establish a new web-based platform for agricultural training videos, n=442
5. Access Agriculture• An initiative of three communication enterprises • Agro-Insight • Countrywise Communication • Streaming Tank• Focus on developing countries
5. Access Agriculture• Challenges it aims to address • Channeling and translating demand • Learning vs prescriptive videos • Quantity vs quality • Capacity building • Institutional barriers • Networking
On entering the site, the user views an entry video with welcome test underneath. To the right they will see the main categories.The video is delivered into multiple qualities with bandwidth detection on the player and the ability to view on both mobile devices and over the web.The site detects the users language but the user can change the language at any point. These are in the main languages. The user will be able to view the videos inAdditional languages from the navigation. Multiple Languages Search Videos Introduction Video Advanced, player with bandwidth detecting player for web and mobile Main Category Selection Introduction Copy
Search Videos On playing the video the user will be able to view the video and also see the transcription associated with that video.
Search Videos The search results will appear underneath. When the user clicks on the thumbnail then that video will play. Rice SearchSeed Sorting Seed Drying Transplanting
Access Agriculture in 2012Premier Stories from ChallengeLeague the field and LeagueVideos Blog Videos