building capacity in communication and ICT applications for CBA
- 812 views
Capacity building is key to establish sound climate change adaptation processes, as well as for framing adaptation within development goals. This is particularly significant in Community-Based ...
Capacity building is key to establish sound climate change adaptation processes, as well as for framing adaptation within development goals. This is particularly significant in Community-Based Adaptation (CBA), where empowering communities is fundamental in order to strengthen their capacity to face climate shocks.
Information and Communication Technology (ICT) can play a major role for the development of climate change adaptation strategies. Particularly, ICT can be employed in five different levels:
• Observation: data collection at global, national and local level;
• Analysis: data and capacity sharing, as well as interpretation of possible climate change scenarios and system mapping;
• Planning: design of community-based adaptation initiatives.
• Implementation and management: translation of adaptation strategies into action, networking with stakeholders at every level and human/natural resources management.
• Capacity building: awareness raising, advocacy, training and formal education programmes.
Finally, to capitalise the full potential of ICT as a driver for community action, every intervention should be formulated within the Communication for Development (ComDev) framework. A two-way bottom-up and top-down communication system is critical for facing climate change related issues, therefore ComDev is essential to foster community participation, build on local resources and knowledge sharing among different stakeholders.
- Total Views
- Views on SlideShare
- Embed Views