2. 17 α- hydroxyprogesteronecaproate• An injection for the “Prevention of preterm birth in pregnant women with a history of at least one spontaneous preterm birth”. (Focus Information Technology 2007)• Contains: 17-HPC (250 mg/mL) Castor oil USP Benzyl benzoate USP Benzyl alcohol NF• After 56 years of its first appearance, it was recently approved by the FDA in 2011. www.google.com.pr/imgres?q=17+hidroxiprogesterona&um=1&hl=es&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=3s1B_IbLHqMGWM:&imgrefurl=http://drcalderonpediatra.blogspot.com/2 http:// 011_02_01_archive.html&docid=rh9XdAYTapqU4M&imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iXNM_Ahn_ds/TVEEXnLFQQI/AAAAAAAADzg/HcvjIU_Sytc/s1600/ScreenShot123.jpg&w=410&h=191&ei=q PvdT_KKOJOE8ASCkPWACw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=486&sig=108444265734898413019&page=3&tbnh=104&tbnw=224&start=42&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r :16,s:42,i:254&tx=151&ty=30
3. Preterm birth• A “Preterm birth is any birth that occurs before the 37th week of pregnancy” (March of Dimes 2010).• Causes: Spontaneous preterm labor . Being pregnant with more than one fetus. Infection . Placenta abruptio ( the early separation of the placenta from the uterus). The use of drugs like methanmphetamine.
4. Objectives• Know the effect of 17- OHP-C in Puerto Rican pregnant women.• Distinguish any unknown negative second effects in tropical environment.• As a long term objective to know if it is a safe alternative to reduce the high incidence of preterm births.
5. Hypothesis• By evaluating the effects of 17- OHP-C in women , it will be known if the injection will be a safe alternative to prevent a preterm birth. http://www.google.com.pr/imgres?num=10&hl=es&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=VQSqJ_A2YJRugM:&i mgrefurl=http://www.topnews.in/health/premature-births-leading-cause-infant-deaths- 26193&docid=UyDQv2pwbuKGDM&imgurl=http://topnews.in/health/files/Premature- births.jpg&w=290&h=250&ei=KpDzT5nRMIKg8QSLo- CFBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=568&vpy=12&dur=385&hovh=199&hovw=231&tx=152&ty=73&sig=108444265734 898413019&page=1&tbnh=142&tbnw=164&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0,i:94
6. Methodology• 20% of the births in Puerto Rico are preterm births.• With the collaboration of a gynecologist, a group of 45 Puerto Rican mothers between 18- 30 years old will fill questionnaires.• Experimental Group : 15 women that had a preterm birth and were injected with 17- OHP-C.• Control Group: 15 women that had a preterm birth and were not injected . 15 Puerto Rican women that had a normal pregnancy.
7. Methodology• The main purpose of the questionnaire is to obtain information about the course of their pregnancy, if they lived any secondary negative effect, what were the conditions of the baby when born and how was the growth of the child.• They will be advised about the purpose of the questionnaire.• The information obtained under their voluntary consent will be used strictly for the research.• Their names will not be used at any time.• Only statistics will be published.
8. Expected Results• By the analysis of the questionnaires we will know if the injection had positive effects in Puerto Rican pregnant women and their child. -producing a 37 weeks, fullterm pregnancy• 17- OHP-C will be safe alternative to reduce the high incidence of preterm births.
9. References• The March of Dimes Foundation, Preterm labor and birth: A serious pregnancy complication, The March of Dimes Foundation, 2010• http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/preterm_indepth.• FDA, 17α-Alpha Hydroxyprogesterone Caproate for Prevention of Preterm Birth• Overview of FDA Background Document, FDA, August 2, 2006 http://google2.fda.gov/search?q=17OHP+&client=FDAgov&site=FDAgov&l r=&proxystylesheet=FDAgov&output=xml_no_dtd&getfields=*&filter=1• The March of Dimes Foundation, Your Premature Baby, The March of Dimes Foundation, January 2009/April 2010• http://www.marchofdimes.com/baby/premature_indepth.html• Mark Curran, M.D,FACOG, 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate (17OHPC), Focus Information Technology, 2007 http://www.obfocus.com/reference/Formulary/Drugs%20in%20Pregnancy /17OHPC.htm• Ileana Delgado Castro, Posible evitar los partos prematuros, El Nuevo Día, August 23,2010