How To Transfer Video from miniDV tape to DVD
NOTE: The DVD recorder accepts only DVD-R, DVD-RW or DVD-RAM disks. You
will need to bring in your own disks or purchase them from the University Computer
1. Check out the 4-pin to 4-pin Firewire cable and the DVD/VHS deck remote from
2. Disconnect the Firewire cable from the back of the miniDV deck. Plug in one end
of the 4-pin to 4-pin Firewire cable you just checked out to the back of the
3. Open the right panel on the DVD/VHS deck, under the DVD side. Connect the
other end of the 4-pin to 4-pin Firewire cable to the front of the DVD/VHS deck
(on the right, where it says quot;DV inquot;).
4. Open the miniDV deck and turn it on.
5. Press the eject button and insert the miniDV tape into the slot with the windows
6. Press on the lid where it says Push to close the window.
7. Turn on the DVD/VHS deck and insert your blank DVD. Press the VCR/DVD
button until the light under DVD is lit up. Insert your blank DVD.
8. Make sure the DVD's channel is set to DV by pressing the channel up or down
button. The quot;DV Dubbingquot; menu will appear on the TV screen if you have the
9. Depending on how long your miniDV tape is, you may need to change the Record
Mode. Press the Record Mode button on the DVD recorder to cycle through the
options (XP = 1 hour; SP = 2 hours; LP = 4 hours; EP = 6 hours). Most miniDV
tapes are 30-60 minutes long, so XP should be fine. The more video you fit on a
DVD, the lower the quality of the video will be.
10. If you are recording the entire miniDV tape, you can use the remote control to
move the cursor in the DV Dubbing menu (on the TV screen) to the DV DVD
button. Press enter, and the miniDV tape will begin to play automatically as the
DVD begins to record. You will have to press the stop button on the DVD
recorder to stop the recording when finished.
11. If you are recording just a little bit of the miniDV tape, or if the DV Dubbing
menu doesn't work, then you can record manually. Press record on the DVD
recorder first BEFORE you press play on the miniDV deck. You can find this
button under the VCR DUBBING DVD area on the right side of the front of
the deck, under the same panel where the quot;DV inquot; port is at.
12. You will probably want to record a second or two of blank video to make sure
you don't miss the beginning of your miniDV tape. Press Play on the miniDV
deck to start dubbing from your miniDV tape to the DVD. Once the video is
finished recording, press Stop on the DVD recorder and then stop the miniDV
13. When you are finished recording, you will need to finalize the DVD before it can
play in any other DVD player. Using the remote, press the quot;Set Upquot; button.
14. Use the arrow buttons on the remote to select quot;DVD Set Upquot; Utility. Then
select Finalize. Choose quot;yesquot; when the dialog box comes up, then OK when it
warns that the disk will be read-only. It will take around 10 minutes to finalize
the DVD. After it is finalized, you can view it on regular DVD players.
15. When you are finished, eject your tape and disk, and turn off the decks.
Remember to close and turn off the miniDV deck as well. Unplug the Firewire
cable from the DVD/VHS deck and the miniDV deck and return it to the desk.
Then plug the original Firewire cable back into the miniDV deck.
Created July 13, 2007 - DK