Hr advisory social media presentation 3 12Presentation Transcript
about Social Media in theWorkplace-Dr. Curtis R. Rogers, CommunicationsDirector, SC State Library-Cynthia Dannels, Marketing & HumanResources Division Director, SC StateHousing
• Social Media for PR• Social Media Policies• Thinking Differently about Social Media• Examples• Resources
“The days of shouting and imposing your message on the masses are gone.” – Erik Qualman, Author of Socialnomics
• What types of social media are out there?• How are state agencies and “Social media sites will organizations using it? change. Concepts will not. Be flexible.”• Why is it different from traditional forms of communication (i.e. email, telephone, press releases)?• How is it effective?• Lets look at some examples
• Policy Purpose: Guidelines for the flow of [social media] information between the agency, its employees, customers, business partners, etc.• Content Areas: • Official Accounts & Publishers • Topic Matter & Guidelines • Inappropriate Content (limited)
You shouldspecificallyaddress SocialMedia in yourEmployeeHandbook…
Interact with people in social media, or risk becoming irrelevant.
Steps to keep inmind when you’retrying to get yourorganization onboard with socialmedia…
1. What are some ways you COULD use social media in HR?2. What are some ways you SHOULD NOT use social media in HR?3. What do you think is the best social networking tool and why?
• Doing social media so it matters by Laura Solomon• Cracking the new job market : the 7 rules for getting hired in any economy by R. William Holland.• Social media analytics : effective tools for building, interpreting, and using metrics by Marshall Sponder.• Mining the social web by Matthew A. Russell.• The social media survival guide : strategies, tactics, and tools for succeeding in the social web by by Deltina Hay.• ROI of $ocial media : how to improve the return on your social marketing investment by Guy Powell, Steven Groves, Jerry Dimos.