Urban agriculture
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×
 

Urban agriculture

on

  • 584 views

 

Statistics

Views

Total Views
584
Slideshare-icon Views on SlideShare
584
Embed Views
0

Actions

Likes
1
Downloads
9
Comments
0

0 Embeds 0

No embeds

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

    Urban agriculture Urban agriculture Presentation Transcript

    • An UNTOLD STORY ON
      URBAN-AGRICULTURE
    • In 1800 there was only one city with 1million peopleLondon.
    • By1990there were more than100cities with more than500million people living in it.
    • In just one centuryglobal urban population has expanded from 15% to 50% of the total population.
    • It has been estimated thatby2015over5 billion people will live in urban cities.
    • There will be 23 newmega cities with a population of 10 million each.
    • 18of which will exist in developing world.
    • Rapid urbanizationsare providing a major challenge
    • The challenge iswhethercitiescan transform themselves into self-sustainablesystems?
    • Theanswerto this questionis critical to the futurewell-beingof theplanet, as well as of Humanity.
    • There can be NOsustainable world withoutsustainable cities.
    • Chinashows the world in creating self sustainable cities.
    • In Shanghai only20% of the land administered by the city authorities is built on; The rest 80% of the land is used forAgriculture.
    • This has made Shanghaiself sustainable in Vegetables.
    • Also human waste are converted to organic manure and is used in Urban Agriculture thus creating a sustainable infrastructure for disposal of waste.
    • ThusChinahas created cities that can produce its own food and decompose its own watsethroughURBAN AGRICULTURE
    • But urban agriculture never figured in the master plans of Indian cities and has been viewed as backward and something to be minimized.
    • And so on average urban citizens in India spend their 70% of their earning on food.
    • Andare affected by epidemic diseases like DENGUE, CHIKUNGUNYA, etcdue to lack of proper infrastructure forsanitation
    • With population doubling day by day
    • With cities doubling day by day
    • With farmers decreasing day by day
    • The cost of vegetables will be sky rocketing and our environmental quality of life would get even worse.
    • Lets atleast now awaken our minds to the importance ofURBAN AGRICULTURE
    • A message byidogreen