Assignment:Create a Competitive Analysis of Peer- to-Peer Fundraising Models Online Usability
Goals:• To establish peer-to-peer fundraising models as a legitimate fundraising channel with multiple successful approaches that have not been maximized.• To see how World Vision has been doing in the space of personal fundraisers and what can be improved to maintain a competitive edge.
2012 BlackBaud Consulting Peer-to-Peer Athletic Fundraising Benchmarking Insights• Team Members are the most effective fundraisers.• Multi-year fundraising participants are twice as effective.• Retaining participants is a challenge.
Methodology1) Documented entire process with screenshots of everything. Created aGmail and documented a timeline with all the emails, newsletters, sign-ups, etc.2) Had a $200 Visa and made donations to each website of $103) Created two spreadsheets User Experience - Sign Up Process, Ease of Financial Checkout, Time Span of Communication, Verbage for Ask, Clarity, Ease of Tools, Personality, Social Media Ease Quantitative Experience - Website, Contact Information, Platform, Money Raised, Number of Participants, Amount Suggested to Fundraise, Programs Offered, News
Relay for LifeHighlights:• FacebookSynchronizingAbilities• Clear instructionson what to do tofundraise
• Easy instructions• Clear home platform• Professional and Efficient
Race for the Cure Susan G Komen • Very Cluttered, and Boring • Difficult to Engage • Web platform is not the main focus of the fundraiser• Incredibly Rudimentary
March of Dimes, March for Babies • The ask and verbage is formal • Big focus on company engagement and females • Adorable babies everywhere!
• Clear communication with Team Captains• Made “team captain” a jazzy position • Clear and Concise Instructions for an older generation
Invisible Children • Homepage is a little cluttered • The “Act and Ask” is less clear here than on other P to P organizations • The separation from “dashboard” to actual page is very confusing• Liked that people could have a “live feedback”• Updates on the amount people give
• Love the campaign graphics, yet this does not invoke action • You can’t access this on your personal fundraising page this must be done BEFORE • Only small paragraph description• This visualization of how much people are donating is engaging
Water for People • “Gets the job done” but not interactive • Too cluttered and not engaging• “Ask” and “Verbage” is incredibly informal
• You can upload videos, pictures, and even name your campaign• Beautiful, Engaging, and Creative ideas for fundraising tactics to increase fundraising
Team Compassion • Convio Platform that TWV, 30Hr, Gift Catalog all use • Dashboard separation confusing
Team Samaritan’s Purse • Platform is FirstGiving • Cluttered and slightly confusing
Save the Children • Very new program, called in to get information, could not get any yet
Team World Vision • Convio Platform • Clear and simple
• There are beautiful graphics, relatively easy to use, very simple• Love the “story” being told and dedication to water
• Tied for favorite peer to peer platform• Simple, engaging, clear
• The personal connection to the entrepreneur and the detailed description allows for connectivity• Makes you feel proud of your donation!
30 Hour Famine • Again, the Convio platform creates a separation between the dashboard and your personal page with is confusing• Does not allow for creativity or usability when telling your story or fundraising
Gift Catalog • The mission of the catalog is wonderful, but it is confusing to navigate and unclear
User Experience Clear and Easy OnlineLifeless Engaging Unclear/Cluttered
Scope of Organization’s Revenue $618 M (Organization) $956M $12.3 M N/A (TSC) (Organization) $415M $552 M (Online) (Organization) N/A (TCI) $398 M $400M (Organization) (Organization) $209K (TSP) $131M $1.7M (Online) $212M (Organization) $15.6M $105M (Online) Organization Organization has a Organization has a Relies Solely diversity of diversification of Athletic on Online Financial Fundraising Events and Fundraising Fundraising Financial Fundraising
What are we doing now? Just a few standout things that are being done well: It is a simple interface for the viewerAmazing storytelling and making itpersonal and connected
Beautiful, Simple- to- use, andCommitment to the work through great Interactivephotography There is a real team feeling
Things to note as we move forward* Constant Updating from Organization, March of * Immediate Tax Deductible ReceiptDimes was the best: Military Campaign * Help provide people with creativity and ideas for un-traditional fundraising skills
* Highly Integrated with Facebook, with a step-by-step process * Easy step by step integration and beautiful graphics on all WV platforms * Ability to edit your “Personal Fundraising” page on the website directly without the “Dashboard” component * If there is a “team” component there must be a clear “Call to Action” for the team leaders
Food for Thought• Just because a platform is “boring” or “cool” does not mean this is correlated to their revenue• Every platform conveys its personality and targets a specific demographic• A peer-to-peer fundraising channel is sometimes the core representation of an organization’s brand and identity.• How can other events besides athletic races, events or campaigns leverage a peer to peer fundraising model?• There is something to be said for a seamless, flowing experience on a website platform that provides the user with an enjoyable and engaging experience! Let World Vision capitalize on this insight!