– High Unemployment
– Slow Recovery
– Possible Double Dip Recession
When the Going Gets Tough`
• The Tough Get Going
• Why Plan, When you can React?
• Figure out what to do, then just do it.
How Many Know
• A Lot about Economic Development?
• A Little about Economic Development?
• Never Heard of it - What is it?
Plan / Strategize
• Any Road will do when you don’t know
where you are going
• Develop an Economic Development
• Use big but fast public strategy session
What’s Different Now?
• Greater sense of urgency
• Need to restore confidence
• Need to incent entrepreneurs
• Streamline / reduce regulation
• Reduce fees
• Provide Incentives
Major Public Session
• Provides Input
• Gets Citizen Participation
• Creates Enthusiasm
• Part of Your Comprehensive Plan
• Provides Road Map for your Future
• Get it done fast, publish, do it, refine
"Development that meets the needs of the
present without compromising the ability of
future generations to meet their own needs."
• United Nations
• Keep the Businesses You Have
• Expand your Businesses
• Enhance your town and attract new jobs
• Protect and improve your environment
Area North of I-74
• Help revitalize the city.
• Create quality mixed use development.
• Develop an attractive scenic drive.
• Create quality new parkland.
• Improve the safety and usability of Riverfront Park.
• Provide housing opportunities in a park like atmosphere.
Examples of Homes
Development would utilize about 100’ of land adjacent to railroad.
Scenic overlook drive running the length of the development.
Three access points; Irving Street, Morton Street & Spring Street.
Soil dredged from the river would
create new parkland.
Development will assist in the
resolution of combined sewer