Sport and exercise massage session 2

2,284 views

Published on

Session 2 blood and lymphatic effects

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
2,284
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
9
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
64
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Sport and exercise massage session 2

  1. 1. Sport and Exercise Massage Session 2 Introduction to the effects of massage Blood and lymphatic circulation
  2. 2. Aim: Describe the effects and the benefits of sport and exercise massage <ul><li>Objectives </li></ul><ul><li>All students will be able to list the 4 basic </li></ul><ul><li>sports massage techniques </li></ul><ul><li>Some students will understand the effects </li></ul><ul><li>massage has on blood and lymphatic </li></ul><ul><li>circulation </li></ul>
  3. 3. Introduction <ul><li>Massage is an ancient treatment, evident over 3000 years ago. </li></ul><ul><li>Used by both the Greeks and Romans and their treatments remain popular today. </li></ul>
  4. 4. Sports Massage <ul><li>Techniques - developed by a Swedish professor Henrik Ling (1776), </li></ul>
  5. 5. Definition <ul><li>“ Massage is a scientific </li></ul><ul><li>manipulation of soft tissue” </li></ul><ul><li>Explain in your own words the </li></ul><ul><li>above reference </li></ul>
  6. 6. How is massage utilised <ul><li>Discuss how these athletes may use massage throughout their competitive year </li></ul>
  7. 7. Massage Research <ul><li>Massage has many perceived benefits </li></ul><ul><li>Difficult to validate findings of one study with another </li></ul><ul><li>Terminology:- </li></ul><ul><li>Effects and Benefits </li></ul>
  8. 8. Variables that influence the effect of massage Choice of technique Duration of massage Depth of massage Condition of athlete
  9. 9. Lymphatic system
  10. 10. Lymphatic System <ul><li>Blood plasma enters tissues to deliver nutrients & oxygen to the cells, it picks up carbon dioxide, electrolytes, and proteins. </li></ul><ul><li>About 90% of this &quot;dirty&quot; plasma enters the veins and continues to the kidneys for filtering. </li></ul><ul><li>The remaining 10% enters the lymphatic system for transportation to the lymph nodes </li></ul>
  11. 11. Circulatory system
  12. 12. <ul><li>The lymphatic system and circulatory system run parallel </li></ul><ul><li>The two differ in that lymph as pump </li></ul><ul><li>It is moved through the body by the action of the muscles </li></ul><ul><li>It can stagnate if there is little exercise </li></ul>
  13. 13. The effects of massage on the blood and lymphatic circulation Reduces swelling Increase lymph flow to nodes Removal of waste products Improves nutrients supply Improves O2 supply Creates pump Action Techniques venous return
  14. 14. Assessment <ul><li>In your own words explain the </li></ul><ul><li>effects massage could have on </li></ul><ul><li>the blood and lymphatic </li></ul><ul><li>circulation </li></ul>
  15. 15. Summary <ul><li>Sports massage techniques </li></ul><ul><li>Effects on blood and lymphatic circulation </li></ul>

×