Operating System and programs
A continuation from Unit 2
• CPU works with combinations of bits and
• These bits and bytes are codify
• Programming is to build the code.
• To make it easier, programmers work with
• A program is a set of instructions that tells the
computer how to make and specific task.
• To make your computer run a program, first
thing to do is to install it.
• To install a program is to copy it (from a CD or
downloaded from the Internet) on to your
computer’s hard drive.
Types of programs
• Word processing
• Desktop publishing
• THE OPERATING SYSTEM (OS) IS THE MOST
IMPORTANT PROGRAM OF A COMPUTER.
Why the OS is the most important
program on any computer?
Controls how the CPU
communicates with other hardware
Makes computers easy to operate by
people who don’t understand
Controls the memories, the hard
drive and all the saving data units.
How the operating system opens
1. The OS looks for the program in the hard drive, send a
copy to the RAM and show the program in the screen
2. Our program gets the information from the keyboard and
the mouse using the OS. The OS make the memory to save
the information and send instructions to the CPU.
3. Once we have finished, we give the order to save. The OS
looks for a place in the hard drive and send it the data from
the RAM .
4. When we close the program , the OS erase it from the
RAM to run new applications.
Types of operating systems
Macintosh computers: Apple
• System 7, System 8...
• All the WINDOWS by
• Al the LINUX versions
What do they have in
The Graphical User Interface
FILES AND FOLDERS (ARCHIVOS Y
How to organize the information
What is a file?
A file is a collection of
data that is stored
Files are sometimes
stored in folders
How to identify a file:
Name and types:
Text files, graphic files,
program files, etc.
behind the name is the
type of file.
Abbreviation (EXTENSIÓN) Type of file
.doc o .docx Word document
.txt o .text Text document
.pdf PDF document (adobe reader)
.bmp, .gif, .jpg Graphic file
.exe o .com Executable program
.htm o . html Web page or document
.mdb o .mdbx Access data base
.xls o .xlsx Excel spreadsheet
.zip .rar Compressed file (archivo comprimido)
This is my DESKTOP
The image is called
This ICON gives me
the way to look in
the hard drive and
all the storage disks
If I don’t want
to storage a
folder or a file
send it to the