2. Let’s explore!• The Library Webpage – How do I find a book? – How do I find ERIC? – How do I find my Librarian? – How do I request Interlibrary Loan?
3. Research Strategy Create search statements using Boolean operators• AND narrows a search. – Both must appear in same citation. – Terms have different meanings. • example: high school AND science• OR broadens a search. – Either term may appear in citation. • example: instruction OR teaching
4. Research Strategy• Use asterisk to expand search – * looks for multiple word endings • Educat* looks for educate and educational• Use subjects to narrow your search – Keyword search looks at the entire record – Subject searching looks only in the subject field• Use limiters to get more focused results
5. Research Databases“Find Articles” from library home page
6. Get access from any internet computer!• Just need a library PIN – My Library Account
8. ERIC• What is it? – Educational Resources Information Center• EJ (ERIC Journals) – These are all citations from journals• ED (ERIC Documents) – Non-refereed, non-journal materials – Many available online or in the library• Coverage is 1966-current date
9. ERIC Search Tips• Use the Thesaurus to find subject terms• Limit for specific document types – EJ (ERIC Journal Collection) – ED (ERIC Document Collection)
10. PsycINFOAnother great place to look for information
11. Using PsycINFO• Contains citations and abstracts from scholarly journals, book chapters, dissertations, and technical reports – Psychology – Learning theory, – Sociology
12. PsycINFO Search tips• Use thesaurus to find Subject terms• Use Cited References search to find newer articles
13. Other databases • Academic Search Complete • Dissertations & Theses
14. Getting the Articles
15. Step ONEGet citations from a research databaseAuthor, title, journal title, volume, issue, page, year
16. Step TWO: Click on the Getit@ icon
17. Where theThe SFX Window item is available Download citation
18. Search COASTto see if we haveit in print
19. COAST Journal Record Call number Check the dates to figure out where it will be Request from ORCA
20. If We Don’t Own ItInter-Library Loan (ILL)Article Reach – For journal articles only – Takes as little as 1 day – 24hr Electronic Request Form – FREE for youIlliad --For items not available through Article Reach
21. Research GuidesFrom Library’s home page, click Research GuidesScience Education links to the SCED 550 guide which includes this PowerPoint
22. RefWorks• Start using it NOW!• Can import your search results directly from ERIC or PsychInfo• Login from the library’s home page, read the instructions first!
23. RefWorks• Keeps all your references in one place• Produces bibliographies in whatever format you choose (e.g. APA)• Includes Write-N-Cite which allows you to cite your references in Word documents• Includes RefGrab-It which can pull citations from webpages• Do their tutorial!
24. Still Need Help? Science Education Librarian: Cathy Outten email@example.com 562.985.7761