1. “The 45th ANNUAL CMA AWARDS” OVERVIEWAmerica‟s music took center stage on America‟s network when“The 45th Annual CMA Awards” aired on the ABC TelevisionNetwork, Wednesday, Nov. 9. Brad Paisley and CarrieUnderwood returned for a fourth year to co-host the gala eventat the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville. The Awards featured liveperformances from Country Music‟s top talent, noteworthycollaborations, and highly coveted Awards presented in 12categories.The CMA Awards was once again ratings gold for ABC, winningthe night with 16.4 million total viewers, beating its nearestcompetition by 5.6 million. The Awards ranked at No. 1 for all sixhalf-hours of the three-hour live broadcast in total viewers andadults 18-49. For the week, the Awards came in at No. 4 in totalviewers and No. 5 in adults 18-49. All key demographics sawincreases in viewership for the broadcast, including double-digitjumps for teens (24%) and men 18-34 (11%).Recognizing the explosive power of Country, CMA‟s exclusivebroadcast partner for the past six years illustrated its strongcommitment to Country Music and CMA though the next decade.ABC will be the broadcast home for the CMA Awards – alongwith “CMA Music Festival: Country‟s Night to Rock” and “CMACountry Christmas” – through 2021!
2. CMA AWARDS NOMINEE DINNERThis year, CMA hosted its first Nominee Dinner. Invited guests included CMA AwardNominees, Broadcast Award Winners and CMA Board Members. The event provided attendees the opportunity to celebrate their accomplishments with industry peers.
3. CMA AWARDS WEEK EVENTSCMA Marketing SummitCMA Marketing Summit hosted executives from corporate America‟s most sought-afterbrands for a comprehensive, exclusive and one-of-a-kind Country Music experience!CMA treated the brand VIPs to panel discussions, presentations and gave them up-close-and-personal access to the stars, culminating with tickets to the Awards. Theexecutives learned more about America‟s music and how their brands can target theloyal Country Music fan base!When asked for feedback on the event one attendee replied, “The Summit really Little Big Town meetsopened up my eyes to the marketing opportunities with the performers, labels and CMA Marketing SummitAssociation. It was one of the most professional conferences Ive been to, with anitinerary run like clockwork and experiences varied to engage and hold the interest ofall.”CMA Songwriters SeriesThe CMA Songwriters Series – held at Nashville hotspot Limelight – featured thetalents of award-winning Nashville songwriters Deana Carter (a 2011 CMA Song ofthe Year nominee), Kelley Lovelace, Eric Paslay and Rivers Rutherford. The capacitycrowd filled the extensive club floor, but the atmosphere was intimate with thesongwriters performing and relating the stories behind some of Country Music‟s Big & Rich meetbiggest hits. CMA Marketing SummitWith 90 shows since 2005 in major markets like New York City, Los Angeles,Chicago and Boston, the CMA Songwriters Series showcases the best of Nashvillesmega-hit songwriters. Each night of the series features a group of Countrytunesmiths who take turns telling the stories behind their hit songs in an informalsetting and performing in the raw. Audiences hear hit songs made famous byCountry artists Brooks & Dunn, Kenny Chesney, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, RascalFlatts, George Strait, Keith Urban and many more.
4. CMA AWARDS WEEK EVENTS AMC/Hell on Wheels AMC‟s “Hell on Wheels” Train to the CMA Awards rolled into Nashvilles Riverfront station on a fully-branded train with Country Music superstar Jason Aldean to promote the series premiere of AMC‟s new series, “Hell on Wheels.” They combined the power and reach of one of Country Musics biggest stars with the credibility of CMA to create a unique, money-cant-buy experience for fans, a huge platform for the launch of AMCs Hell On Wheels, with a high-profile free concert in Nashville. Over 100 radio winners received a VIP trip to Nashville including access to Nashville‟s premiere of “Hell on Wheels,” two seats on the train with Jason Aldean, a meet and greet with Jason, access to a VIP viewing area at the concert, and two tickets to “The 45th Annual CMA Awards” at Bridgestone Arena.
5. MACY’S WALK OF STARS RED CARPET & FAN BLEACHERSThe Macy‟s Walk of Stars had plenty of pre-Awards excitement for lucky Country fans, who were able to get up close andpersonal and get a few autographs at the site of the Red Carpet. Macy‟s officially launched “Country Music‟s Biggest Night” withRed Carpet artist arrivals, fan paparazzi bleachers and global media interviews. A group of United States Marines helpedcelebrities out of their vehicles as they arrived across the street from the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum and madetheir way down into the vast Media Tent for interviews and photo ops.More than 400 journalists from more than 120 domestic and international media outlets were credentialed or ticketed for the2011 CMA Awards, including Access Hollywood, CMT, CNN, E! News and The Ellen Degeneres Show.Macy‟s also offered a special shopping event at the Green Hills Mall location, giving shoppers complementary hairstyling byMacy‟s Premier Salon, and featuring an in-store karaoke contest for a chance to be one of one hundred lucky fans to win ticketsto the Macy‟s Red Carpet Fan bleacher seats and a pair of 2011 CMA Awards tickets. All participants took home a copy of theirrecording.
6. PEOPLE COUNTRY FAN BLEACHERS AT THE CMA AWARDSLucky Country Music fanswere given a chance to viewtheir favorite artists andcelebrities at the end of theMacy‟s Walk of Stars RedCarpet. People Countrysponsored the Fan Bleachers.
7. CHEVROLET INTEGRATIONChevrolet, the official ride of Country Music, worked with CMA to shine a light on music education bypartnering with Keep the Music Playing (KTMP), which provides funding for music education in public schools.Chevrolet donated a 2012 Camaro convertible which will be auctioned online to benefit KTMP. The hood of theCamaro was autographed by the celebrities who walked the Red Carpet prior to “The 45th Annual CMAAwards.” With the support of the iconic automaker, KTMP will be able to further its reach with awareness ofthe program through Chevy‟s social media properties as well as on Chevy.com, instrument drives in variousmarkets, and inclusion in Chevy‟s owner E-Newsletters.
8. ABC’S GOOD MORNING AMERICAFans were treated to an early CMA Awardscelebration when 2010 CMA Entertainer of the Yearand four-time CMA Awards co-host Brad Paisleyperformed a live concert on ABC‟s “Good MorningAmerica.”ABC‟s Sam Champion reported live from Nashvilleas Paisley became the first artist to sign the hood ofa Chevy-donated 2012 Camaro convertible, whichwas positioned at the beginning of the Red Carpetarrivals, and is being auctioned off to benefit CMA‟sKeep the Music Playing program.
9. “COUNTRY MUSIC’S BIGGEST NIGHT”It was a night of new winners and returning champions at “The 45 th Annual CMA Awards.” TaylorSwift won her second CMA Entertainer of the Year trophy. Newlyweds Miranda Lambert and BlakeShelton won Female Vocalist and Male Vocalist for the second consecutive year. Jason Aldeanwon his first two CMA Awards for Musical Event of the Year with Kelly Clarkson, and Album of theYear for My Kinda Party. The Band Perry won their first Awards for Single of the Year for “If I DieYoung” and New Artist of the Year. Kimberly Perry claimed an additional trophy for Song of theYear for penning the hit song. Kenny Chesney and Grace Potter won for Music Video of the Year.Lady Antebellum picked up their third trophy for Vocal Group of the Year, and Sugarland wonVocal Duo of the Year for the fifth time.Presenters for the night included: 2011 “American Idol” runner-up Lauren Alaina; ESPNsportscaster and "Good Morning America" correspondent Erin Andrews; 2005 CMA HorizonAward winner Dierks Bentley; Country star Billy Currington; actor Josh Dallas (star of ABCs"Once Upon a Time"); 2011 World Series MVP and St. Louis Cardinals third baseman DavidFreese; actress Ginnifer Goodwin (star of ABCs "Once Upon a Time"); actor Kellan Lutz (star ofthe "Twilight" movie series and the upcoming "Immortals"); The Muppets icon Miss Piggy; Countrystars Jake Owen and Kellie Pickler; six-time CMA Award winner and 2011 Country Music Hall ofFame inductee Reba; 1997 CMA Horizon Award winner LeAnn Rimes; Emmy Award-winningactor Eric Stonestreet (star of ABCs "Modern Family"); actress Emily VanCamp (star of ABCs"Revenge"); and Academy Award-winning actress Reese Witherspoon.
10. LIVE PERFORMANCES AT THE CMA AWARDS Part of what makes the CMA Awards “Country Music‟s Biggest Night” are the stellar performances by some of the format‟s brightest stars. This year‟s performers included Jason Aldean, The Band Perry, Luke Bryan, Eric Church, Sara Evans, Faith Hill, Lady Antebellum, Miranda Lambert, Martina McBride, Scotty McCreery, Blake Shelton, Taylor Swift, Sugarland, Thompson Square, Keith Urban, Chris Young; plus Chesney and Potter singing their hit collaboration “You and Tequila”; and Rascal Flatts and Natasha Bedingfield singing their current hit duet “Easy.” Icons from the world of pop music proved that Country Music is far-reaching, with Kenny Loggins joining Blake Shelton to perform his hit “Footloose,” and Lionel Richie offering a string of his favorites, collaborating with Little Big Town, Rascal Flatts and Darius Rucker.
11. CMA AWARDS TALENT GIFT LOUNGE A perk of presenting or performing at the CMA Awards is a trip to the CMA Awards Gift Lounge, presented by Blue04. The artists who walked through could pick up a fine-crafted messenger bag or purse from Cape Cod Leather; oxygenated water from Blue04; custom jewelry featuring natural stones from CEEK; swag including guitar strings and barware from Gibson guitar; sunglasses by Maui Jim; candles from Yankee Candle; skincare products from Lily.B Skincare; apparel from Country Boy/Country Girl; a beverage from Rockin‟ Wellness Nutritional Shakes; Dearfoam slippers; iPod accessories from Griffin Technology; custom-cut designer men‟s apparel and scarves from VOKARE; and fashionable, versatile women‟s apparel from family-owned and operated Belldini. Each celeb also walked away with a piece of Sidewinder rolling luggage from The Container Store filled with a bevy of additional items including spa gift certificates, beauty products, jewelry, sunless tanning and so much more. Sixty-three artists and celebrities received lounge gifts, including Brad Paisley, Darius Rucker, Blake Shelton, Carrie Underwood, Jason Aldean, Keith Urban, Kenny Chesney, Lady Antebellum, Kenny Loggins, Lionel Richie, Miranda Lambert, Scotty McCreery, Sugarland, Vince Gill, The Band Perry, Zac Brown Band, Faith Hill, Reba, Erin Andrews and Reese Witherspoon.
12. CMA AWARDS POST-PARTY SPONSORED BY PATRÓN SPIRIT COMPANYAfter kicking off “The 45th Annual CMA Awards,” Patrón helped usher in the late night celebrations by co-presenting the Post CMA Awards Party at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Always the place to beafter the annual Awards, the invitation-only exclusive gala boasted a guest list of more than 600, including CMABoard Members, Award nominees, industry executives and other VIPs who enjoyed food, drinks and live music inthe spacious lobby and elegant Hall of Fame Rotunda. This year‟s after party featured signature Patrónbeverages.Throughout the night, a silent auction had attendees bidding on tropical getaways, resorts packages, spatreatments and more, with all proceeds being donated to CMA‟s Keep the Music Playing charity. The most visibleenticement was a 10‟-tall sculpture of a Gibson guitar, offered by Patrón and Ultimat Vodka and covered with artistsignatures collected backstage at during the Awards.
13. CUPCAKE WARS AT THE POST-PARTYCMA partnered with the hitFood Network television show,“Cupcake Wars,” to tape aCMA Awards-themed episodethat will air in Spring 2012.Country star Deana Carterwas the guest judge.
14. CMA AWARDS RADIO REMOTES PRESENTED BY PREMIERE RADIO NETWORKSCMA‟s official radio partner, Premiere Radio Networks, heldits official CMA Awards Radio Remote Broadcast leading upto "The 45th Annual CMA Awards." Premiere welcomedseventy-five artists and celebrities, including Taylor Swift,The Band Perry, Rascal Flatts, Vince Gill, Faith Hill, MartinaMcBride, Lady Antebellum, Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert,and more, who visited 50 of the top Country radio stationsfrom across the nation. Participating stations included topradio markets from Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Atlanta,Washington D.C., Phoenix, Tampa, Minneapolis, Miami,Denver, Cleveland, Orlando, Portland, Charlotte, Pittsburgh,Raleigh, Baltimore, San Diego and more. Awardsprogramming reached 28.5 million listeners (sources:Premiere, Arbitron Nationwide Spring 2011).
15. CMA AWARDS SILENT AUCTIONThe 2nd Annual CMA Awards Silent Auction was held during the CMA Awards at the Bridgestone Arenaand afterwards at the invitation-only Post Awards Party at the Country Music Hall of Fame. Items includedautographed memorabilia, clothing, guitars, artwork, concert tickets, luxury trip packages, outdoorsmanexcursions and more.The auction raised over $80,000, with all proceeds being donated to the CMA „s Keep The Music Playing,benefitting music education.
16. DIGITAL RECAPThe CMA online and mobile audience has seen tremendous growth• Approximately 72,000 entries in the 2011 CMA Awards text-to-win an autographed guitar contest• Mobile text subscribers up 75% to more than 191,000• Social network fans, friends and followers up 250% to more than 920,000• CMA email database up 12% to more than 123,000•The cumulative CMA online and mobile audience is ranked #1 among all awards for biggest social network audience, topping the Grammys and the Oscars! Total Audience (Social, Mobile, Email) is now over 1,230,000 fans! TOTAL CMA OSCARS® 413,964 286,552 58,003 69,409 People’s Choice 291,197 219,615 70,229 1,353 GOLDEN GLOBES® 210,374 158,271 51,310 793 ACM 69,595 38,331 31,209 55 EMMY’S® 38,809 11,633 23,804 3,372
17. PRINT MEDIA Partial list of stories and mentions featured in print publications: Additional Print Outlets: Entertainment Weekly OK Weekly Reuters Tennessean TV Guide TV GuideEntertainment Weekly
18. TV/ONLINE MEDIA COVERAGEMore than 400 journalists from more than 120 domestic and international media outlets were credentialedor ticketed for the 2011 CMA Awards. Below is a partial list of media outlets:Television OnlineAccess Hollywood AOL/The BootAssociated Press Television CMT.comBetter Hollywood Life.comCHCH Canada LA Times/The EnvelopeCMC Australia People.comCMT Yahoo!CNNE! NewsEllen Degeneres ShowExtraFOX News ChannelHeadline Country (GAC)Inside EditionKABC-TV (ABC/Los Angeles)MSN
19. PROMOTIONSCMA Awards promotions continued to build awareness and anticipation for this event and had positive impacts on viewership.National promotions included efforts with retailers including Wal-mart and Amazon. Wal-mart stores featured CMA Awardsbranding on endcap displays in 1,225 stores nationwide. Amazon promoted the show and product by nominated artists via theonline music store, the Country Music store and in e-mail marketing.Premiere Radio Networks welcomed nationally-syndicated shows “After Midnite with Blair Garner” and “The Crook & ChaseCountdown,” as well as 50 top Country stations to Nashville to cover the CMA Awards in three days of remotebroadcasts. Premiere partners included stations from Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Boston, Atlanta, Washington DC,Houston, Detroit, Tampa, Seattle, Miami, Denver, Sacramento, St. Louis, Portland, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Indianapolis, Baltimore,Raleigh, San Diego, Nashville and more. Through Premiere‟s dedication, an audience of 28.5 million listeners was reached.Building on successful digital activities including tune-in engagement campaigns on Facebook, Twitter, Spotify, Pandora, LiveNation/Ticketmaster, YouTube, Google, and more, online promotions included the fifth year of “My CMA Awards Picks,” allowingfans to choose and share socially their choices for CMA Awards wins; live streaming of Macys Walk of Stars Red Carpet activities,Pre-Telecast Awards Ceremony and Backstage Press Room feeds; in-show mobile text-in sweepstakes integration; and more.Local ticket sales promotions helped the CMA Awards sell out for the third consecutive year. Ticket sales promotions ran across anassortment of regional media partners including local TV (WKRN-TV), radio (regional Country formats, plus AC), print and onlinemedia partners. The Nashville Scene partnered to give away tickets to the PEOPLE Country Fan Section at the Macys Walk ofStars, while a Macys conducted an in-store event in Nashville to give away tickets to its own VIP fan section on the Red Carpet.