1. DRAFT! Welcome! Please introduce yourself to others at your table! Put on a name tag ! Complete the information on the sign-in sheet
2. CARES Charge!o Create a long-range plan to meet the communityʼs level of service and protection expectations.!Operational Guidelines!o Meetings will not be conducive to the format of an open forum or debate.!o Meetings are work sessions that allow for the free exchange of ideas.!
3. Sign-in Sheet!
4. I Have a Question!!• Fill Out Form!• Call: ! • 636-447-6655 !• Email:! • CARES@cottlevillefpd.org!• Ask During Small Group Work Time!
5. CARES Online!o www.CARESforCFPD.com!o Like us on Facebook!! o www.Facebook.com/CottlevilleFire!
6. Meeting Materials!o Cover Sheet!o Agenda!o Meeting #2 Summary Documents! o Verbatim Responses! o Executive Summary!o Informational PowerPoint Presentation!o Work Activity!
7. CARES Meetings!Date! Meeting Topic!Sept. 8! Kick-Off Meeting!Sept. 22! Stafﬁng!Oct. 6! Equipment!Oct. 20! Operations, Facilities & Programs!Nov. 3! Fire District Finance 101!Nov. 17! Draft Community Recommendations Presented! Week of Nov. 28 - Draft Recommendations Presented At Open Houses At Each Fire Station. Details Coming Soon."Dec. 8! Final Recommendations Presented!
8. DRAFT! Cottleville Fire Protection District Equipment Presented By ! Assistant Chief Scott Freitag!
9. DRAFT! Equipment of the Cottleville Fire District!
10. What we will cover!o Review of last meeting!o Vehicles!o Fireﬁghting equipment!o Rescue Equipment!o Computer network systems!
12. DRAFT! Equipment !
13. Acronyms!o National Fire Protection Association (NFPA): Sets industry standards!o Occupational Safety and Health Association (OSHA)!o Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA)!
14. Current Fleet! Number of Equipment Pieces 4 2004 Rescue Pumpers 1 2006 100’ Aerial Pla9orm 1 1997 Brush Truck 1 2009 InternaConal POD Urban Search and Rescue Truck (Paid for by federal government as a federal resource) 1 2001 UClity Pick-‐up 3 Staﬀ -‐ Command Vehicles (2003, 2005, 2008) 1 2003 InspecCon vehicle
15. 100ʼ Ladder Truck!o 2006 Ladder Truck – Platform! o First ladder in district history! o purchased to meet demands of our growing district! o Stable work platform ! o Capable of reaching 7 stories maximum! o Utilized for all types of structures i.e. garden apartments, commercial, educational, single family residential! o Safely control large ﬁres when ﬁreﬁghters cannot make entry! o Rescue from upper stories and/or roof access! o Currently staffed with 3 ﬁre ﬁghters – should be a minimum of 4!
16. 100ʼ Ladder Truck - Platform!o 2006 cost $876,881! o Loose Equipment $30,371!o Capable of carrying 4 ﬁreﬁghters!
17. Rescue Pumper!o Replacement Cost $425,000!o Can carry 4 FFʼs!o Carries ﬁre, rescue and EMS equipment!
18. What Does a Rescue Pumper Carry?!o 3-4 ﬁreﬁghters with all o 30 gallons of foam for their protective ﬂammable liquid ﬁres! equipment ! o Over 1,600ʼ of hose!o 750 gallons of water! o Nozzles in various sizeso Ground ladders! for ﬁre attack and water supply!o Assorted tools used in ﬁre suppression! o Ventilation fans ! o Salvage covers !
19. The Rescue Pumper!o Hydraulic Rescue Equipment!o Vehicle Stabilization Strut Kits!o Lifting Equipment (Air Bags)!o Cold Water Rescue Suits !o Rope Rescue Equipment !o Basic Life Support Equipment ! o Automated External Deﬁbrillator (AED)!
20. DRAFT! Purchasing & Maintenance !
21. Two Levy Funds ProvideCFPD Revenue!o Operating Levy Fund! o Similar to your salary! o Used for operating costs (Personnel, Utilities, Supplies, General Maintenance, Etc.)!o Debt Service Levy Fund! o Similar to a home mortgage! o Used to pay the principal and interest on the Districtʼs outstanding Bonds for large scale capital improvements (new buildings, roofs, etc.) !o Spending from the two funds cannot be mixed !
22. How Do We Purchase?!o Cannot get a traditional auto loan !o Taxpayers have given us a bond, which acts as a loan for capital improvement !o Traditionally use a truck committee to write specs then go out for bid!o Potential to use the Houston Galveston Area Consortium (HGAC), large group purchasing power!
23. Maintenance !o Cannot be paid for out of bond, must be paid out of general operating revenue!o Intricate pieces of equipment, very expensive to maintain!
24. Maintenance Comparison!Average Auto (AAA) !! Average Fire Truck!o Annual Total with Fuel o Annual Total with Fuel ! $7967! o Engine 20,000! o Ladder 39,000!
25. Maintenance Cost Comparison !
26. Maintenance Comparison!
27. Maintenance Comparison!Average Automobile Maint! Average Fire Truck!o Oil Change $30! o Oil Change $400!o Brakes $200 per axle, o Brakes $1000 rear brakes 75,000 to 100,000 miles! on an engine every 18-24 months. !o Battery 3-5 yrs $75-$100! o Batteries x6 every 18-24o Tires $1000 for 4 with months $560! 40,000-50,000 mile warranty! o Tires $1500 for 2 fronts! o $2000 for 4 rear every 18-24 months!
28. How We Have ReducedExpenditures!o Purchase batteries direct and install them ourselves!o Purchase replacement lights direct and replace them in house!o Purchase brake parts direct, and keep in stock!o Mobile service comes to the station! o Cuts down time from two days to 3 hours!
29. Status of Our Fleet! Equipment Age Replacement Target 4 – 2004 Pumpers 7 years Beginning 2014 (not all at one Cme) 1 – 2006 Ladder 5 years 2018 o Optimum replacement cycle 10 -12 years!o The Generational Cycle is 5 yrs. ! o NFPA, OSHA, Apparatus Manufactures Assoc.!o What does that mean?! o Every truck over 10 yrs old is in the 3rd generation of obsolescence !
30. Staff / Command Vehicle!o Usually purchased on state bid!o Miles and hours are considerations for replacement!o Have a constant load over the rear axle!o Loaded electrical systems!
31. Staff / Command Vehicle
32. Command Computer !!o Each command vehicle and ﬁre truck is equipped with a computer !o Computer provides mapping, locators, call information, pre-incident plans, and precautionary notes!o Computers purchased and maintained by the district!
33. Replacement of FD Vehicles !!o The decisions to replace vehicles is determined by cost/beneﬁt ! o Are repairs beginning to cost more than the vehicle is worth. ! o Down time, is the vehicle beginning to hinder emergency response?!
34. What Happens to Retired Vehicles?!o Sold two ﬁre trucks on E-bay!o A command vehicle will be moved to reserve status!o Retired reserve command vehicles are sold at auction!o We do not currently have a reserve command vehicle!
35. Rescue Equipment “The Jaws of Life”!o Hydraulic Rescue Pumpo Hydraulic Cutter ! !!o Hydraulic Spreader!o Hydraulic Ram !!o 10 yr generational life span due to auto industry changes! $30,000
36. Fire Fighters ProtectiveEquipment!o N.F.P.A. Standards Set Guide Lines On Every Aspect Of The Fire Service, Especially Important Is The Fireﬁghters PPE.!o All Personal Fire Fighter Equipment Must Meet The N.F.P.A. 1971 And 1500 Standard. !o New Change: Gear Must Be Replaced At 10 Years!
37. Cost to Equip Todayʼs Fire Fighter!Equipment Cost Standard Issue Helmet $255 Nomex Hood $38 Bunker Coat and Pants $2,100 Boots $300 Gloves $50 S.C.B.A. Face Piece $225 TOTAL $2,968
38. Self Contained Breathing Apparatus(SCBA)!o Current SCBA systems purchased in 1997!o Does not have ﬁreﬁghter down locator capabilities!o Does not have a heads up display for FF to see how much air is left!o No longer supported by the manufacturer!o Cost to replace all SCBA equipment approximately $250,000!o Currently seeking a grant to off set costs!
39. Thermal Imaging Cameras !!o Approximately $8,000!o 5 year life span!o CFPD has one conﬁrmed rescue/save because of a thermal imager!o CFPD nearly injured 5 due to failure of the cameras at the end of their life span!
40. Computer Network System!o District Wide Management Information System!o Connects all Four Stations with Headquarters and Dispatch.!o Tracks all District Incidents!o Training Records!o Hydrant Testing Records!o Inspection Records!o Truck Maintenance!o Employee Records & Payroll!o Antiquated and unreliable with limited support, needs replacement!
41. Cain: Search and Rescue Dog!o Handler is FF/Paramedic Kyle Brownlow!o Deployed to Joplin, and Southern MO on several occasions!o Largely supported through donations, CFCO and Kyles personal money!
42. Training!!o All of our equipment requires extensive training!o Training has to be part of the decision making process to purchase equipment!o The world around us changes constantly requiring us to keep up through new equipment and training! o New construction methods, hybrid vehicles!o Insurance Services Ofﬁce (ISO) requires 10,000 hrs of training per year, weʼre under 8000!o We do not have a FT person to coordinate, plan, or report training!
43. Equipment Needs!o Computer Software Upgrade Needed To Support Reporting Requirements!o New SCBA Systems!o Two Replacement Staff Vehicles!o Thermal Imaging Cameras!o Four Gas Monitoring Equipment!o Fire Gear I.E. Coats, Pants, Gloves, Hoods, And Boots (Ongoing)!o Rugged Terrain Vehicle For KATY Trail And Bush Wildlife Response!o Zodiac Boat For Water Rescue (River And Lake)!
44. Displays !! Sta;on Tables Star;ng At This Sta;on Thermal Imager, 4 Gas Meter, Gear, Ice 1 & 10 Rescue Suits!Self Contained Breathing Apparatus! 2 & 9 Rescue Dog (Cain), EMS! 3 & 8 Urban Search and Rescue, Jaws of life! 4 & 7 Truck Display in Parking Lot! 5 & 6
45. DRAFT! Small Group Work Activity!
46. Select Recorder & Spokesperson!o Recorder Responsibilities! o Complete the requested information on your groupʼs worksheet!o Spokesperson Responsibilities! o Facilitate Discussion! o Keep Group Focused/On Task! o Report Groupʼs Information!
47. Complete the Worksheet !o Make sure the information recorded on the worksheet reﬂects consensus of the group!o Monitor progress to complete the worksheet in allotted time!o Only the group recorderʼs worksheet will be collected!
48. Small Group Work Activity!Task #1!
49. Small Group Work Activity!Task #2!
50. Small Group Work Activity!Task #3!
51. Small Group Work Activity!Task #4!
52. Small Group Work Activity!Task #5!
53. Work Activity Reporting!o Your groupʼs preferred stafﬁng level!o The level of importance your group placed on up-to-date training!o One stafﬁng or training recommendation!