Cosmic's An introduction to social media for business
Social Media is here to stay!
• Devonshire Tea
– 2 person company founded a year ago, prolific use of Twitter has
resulted in a large contract in the USA – read more
Devonshire Tea Article Devonshire Tea Twitter Feed
• Sitting Spiritually
– SME providing high end bespoke garden furniture, using video to
add value to existing customers
Sitting Spiritually Youtube Channel
• Dogs Trust
– Started new campaign using solely social media resulting in
measureable new funds Dogs Trust Facebook Page
Dogs Trust Twitter Page
Click here to read more examples
Why use social media?
Gain new customers
Add value to existing customers
Social media can help you; connect with customers (new and old), gain
referrals from current customers, communicate instantly with impact, get
publicity for events, gain or give advice, create advocates for your
brand, help your search ranking, and much more!
How are YOU going to use it?
• Social media enables you to share your uniqueness
• If you are funny, don’t tell people you are funny, tell
• Social media is not about selling, its about helping
people to buy
Wendy Knee Blog
• Video Sharing
• Photo Sharing
• Social Networks
(There are more but lets not get ahead of ourselves)
• What is a blog?
– A series of entries to an online journal, posted in a
• Where can you do it?
– Two popular free platforms are www.blogger.com and
• How often should you do it?
– Regularly! (Can be daily, weekly or monthly)
• What should it contain?
– Relevant and interesting content with keyword rich titles
• Fundamentally a blog, but smaller – most popular platform
• What can you use Twitter for?
– Searching (need reflexology)
– Following (key influencers)
– Reply and Retweet (repeat)
– Broadcasting your message
MMAP Design Twitter Feed
• Very simple to use, free account, upload from computer or
• Huge variety of content available
• Being used as 2nd
most popular search engine worldwide
• Product reviews
• Videos can be embedded onto own website
• Learn about
– How to lay a patio
– How to cheat at Mario
– Watch lectures from Cambridge
• Easy to upload and categorise
• Specific access control
• Share successful events through images
• Give a more visual grasp of a product
• Most popular platform has over 7 million users
Somerset Community Food
• Social networks bring people together
• The network gathers around a shared interest
• Instant sharing of information and news
• Can be used to turn customers into advocates
Selling driftwood sculptures on ETSY
Connecting volunteers with charities
Connecting with other Businesses
Facts and Figures
• Every minute 24 hours worth of video is uploaded to YouTube
• People watch 2 billion videos every day on YouTube
• Twitter had 400,000 tweets posted per quarter in 2007, 100 million per
quarter 2008 and 2 billion per quarter 2009
• February 2010
– Twitter users were sending 50 million tweets per day
– In the first quarter of 2010, 4 billion tweets were posted.
– As of June 2010, about 65 million tweets are posted each day,
equalling about 750 tweets sent each second, (numbers from Twitter)
• More than 133 million blogs are being written
• 77% of internet users read blogs
• LinkedIn has over 50m users worldwide
• 4 billion pictures hosted by Flickr at the end of 2009
Devonshire Tea - http://twitter.com/DevonshireTea
Duo get a tea break thanks to Twitter links in America
A Devon tea company has started to sell to America after social media site Twitter helped it
to build relationships with a US online supplier.
Devonshire Tea, which is based in Mannamead, Plymouth, was launched last year by Gavin
Sheppard and his partner Debbie Kay.
The business has been using Twitter for the last year, and has become followers of businesses
and individuals in the tea sector, who, in turn, follow Devonshire Tea. It now has just under
Instead of using the social media tool as direct sales tool, Gavin and Debbie began having
conversations with industry contacts which resulted in the Pennsylvania-based English Tea
Store offering to stock the tea.
"At first they said that they don't buy direct but they liked the Plymouth connection and the
Devonshire brand and, after a little while, they came back to us and said they would like to
buy from us so we're the only tea they buy direct," said Gavin.”
View the full article
Started new campaign in April 2008 on both Twitter and Facebook,
in the first year two members of staff ran the campaign and they
reported that in from April 2008 – April 2009 they gained an extra
£100,000 donations directly from the two new channels