How people search the library from a single search box
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×
 

How people search the library from a single search box

on

  • 2,084 views

Code4Lib 2012 Seattle, Washington. Presentation on single search at NCSU Libraries.

Code4Lib 2012 Seattle, Washington. Presentation on single search at NCSU Libraries.

Statistics

Views

Total Views
2,084
Views on SlideShare
1,882
Embed Views
202

Actions

Likes
1
Downloads
3
Comments
0

3 Embeds 202

http://cynng.wordpress.com 198
https://cynng.wordpress.com 3
http://translate.googleusercontent.com 1

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment
  • Journal of Web Librarianship, 5:80–95, 2011Copyright © Taylor & Francis Group, LLCISSN: 1932-2909 print / 1932-2917 onlineDOI: 10.1080/19322909.2011.568822The North Carolina State University LibrariesSearch Experience: Usability Testing TabbedSearch Interfaces for Academic Libraries
  • Redo these so that the Count is the cumulative count.
  • Redo these so that the Count is the cumulative count.
  • Redo these so that the Count is the cumulative count.
  • Redo these so that the Count is the cumulative count.

How people search the library from a single search box Presentation Transcript

  • 1. How people search the library from a single search box Cory Lown NCSU Libraries Code4Lib 2012
  • 2. 1. Academic library searchenvironment2.Search stats at NCSU3. Collecting data
  • 3. 1. Academic library search environment
  • 4. 73% of searches from thehome page start from the default tab
  • 5. Journal Articles,Catalog,Journal Titles,Database Titles,Library Website,
  • 6. Best Bets,Spelling Suggestions,Loaded Links,FAQs,Smart Subjects,
  • 7. Best Bets
  • 8. Part 2: Search stats at NCSU
  • 9. Fall 2010 and Spring 2011
  • 10. 739,180 Searches655,388 Click-throughs
  • 11. 7.8% 35.2%41.5% 5.5%
  • 12. Article and Catalog results are really important.
  • 13. 23% of searchersare doing something else.Journal titles, databases, website results, etc.
  • 14. For Articles, people use one of the first 3 results about 70% of the time. The other 30% use the “See AllResults” link to see the full Summon results interface.
  • 15. Fall 2010
  • 16. Fall 2010 – Catalog
  • 17. Fall 2010 - Articles
  • 18. web of science, citation builder,refworks, jstor, google scholar,pubmed, petition, ieee, naxos,etd, course reserves, science,gis, tripsaver, academic search premier, harvard business review, eric, citation, thesis
  • 19. web of science, citation builder,refworks, jstor, google scholar,pubmed, petition, ieee, naxos,etd, course reserves, science,gis, tripsaver, academic search premier, harvard business review, eric, citation, thesis
  • 20. web of science, citation builder,refworks, jstor, google scholar,pubmed, petition, ieee, naxos,etd, course reserves, science,gis, tripsaver, academic search premier, harvard business review, eric, citation, thesis
  • 21. web of science, citation builder,refworks, jstor, google scholar,pubmed, petition, ieee, naxos,etd, course reserves, science,gis, tripsaver, academic search premier, harvard business review, eric, citation, thesis
  • 22. web of science, citation builder,refworks, jstor, google scholar,pubmed, petition, ieee, naxos,etd, course reserves, science,gis, tripsaver, academic search premier, harvard business review, eric, citation, thesis
  • 23. Query Distribution Spring 2011
  • 24. Query Distribution Spring 2011
  • 25. Query Distribution Spring 2011
  • 26. Query Distribution Spring 2011
  • 27. Main points
  • 28. Single/default search signalsconfidence to people that our search tools will just work.
  • 29. Important to consider what the default search box doesn’t search.
  • 30. Dynamic results drive traffic.
  • 31. Make sure the most frequentqueries provide great results.
  • 32. Part 3: Collecting data
  • 33. Tracking Searches Timestamp Date Time Action (SEARCH) Query (john+muir) Referrer URL
  • 34. Tracking Click-throughs Timestamp Date Time Action (CLICK) Category (CAT) Link (RES_1)
  • 35. Alternative:Event tracking in GoogleAnalytics
  • 36. Thanks.
  • 37. Cory Lown NCSU Libraries cwlown@ncsu.edu @cowilo C&RL Article Preprinthttp://go.ncsu.edu/librarysearc h