March 13, 2009
– Today we will learn about Spartan culture.
– No Homework
• Warm Up
– Write a sentence that explains the role common
citizens played in each of the three styles of
government we have talked about.
Monarchy Oligarchy Democracy
Who makes King or Queen A few people All Citizens
Warm Up Answer
• Ordinary citizens have little control in a
monarchy or oligarchy, but they play a big part
in a democracy.
Democracy Speed Round
• What type of democracy did Athens have?
• Who voted on laws in this direct democracy?
• Who didn’t get to vote on laws?
• What type of democracy do we have in the
• Why is it called a representative democracy?
• What are three ways that our democracy
differs from Athens’ democracy?
• In your journal, label • The movie is about the
today’s assignment: Persian war and the
Spartan Culture. part Sparta played in it.
• Take notes on the • Focus on how Spartan
culture of Sparta: culture is different than
– Family relations
– Role of women
• Unhealthy babies were not
allowed to live
• At age 7, Spartan boys were
sent to 12 years of military
• Military training was very
• Men were often at war (not
• Women were expected to be
• Religious – went to oracles to
get advice on the future