• The Blessed Virgin appeared to Saint Catherine Labouré,
a Seminary Sister (novice) in the Daughters of Charity, in
1830, in order to offer the world a medal.
• This simple object, intended for all people, making no
distinction, sums up the mysteries of Christian faith
through its rich symbolism.
• When a deadly cholera epidemic broke out in Paris in
February 1832, claiming more than 20,000 lives, the
Sisters began distributing the first medals. Many cures
were reported, along with protection and conversions.
The word spread like wild fire. The people of Paris called
the medal “miraculous”.
A summer night...
• On July 18, 1830, the eve of the feast of Saint Vincent de
Paul, whom she loved so much, St. Catherine prayed to
him, so that her desire to see the Blessed Virgin be heard
at last. At 11 p.m. that night she heard her name called.
• A mysterious child is at the foot of her bed and asks her
to get up: “The Blessed Virgin is waiting for you “ he said.
St. Catherine dressed and followed the child radiating
rays of light wherever he went.
• Having arrived in the chapel, St. Catherine stopped near
the chair, used by the priest in the sanctuary. She then
heard a sound similar to the swish of a silk dress. “Look ,
here is the Blessed Virgin” said her small guide. She
showed reluctance to believe. But the child repeated in a
stronger tone of voice. : “Here is the Blessed Virgin.”
• Catherine hurried to the knees of the Blessed Virgin who
was sitting on a chair. “I then bounded to the steps of
the altar, knelt and let my hands rest on the knees of the
• In this chapel chosen by God, the Blessed Virgin Mary
came in person to reveal her identity by means of a small
object, a medal, intended for every person without
• On November 27th 1830 at 5:30 pm, during meditation,
St. Catherine saw at the present location of the Virgin of
the Globe a picture of the Blessed Virgin. Standing on a
half-globe ,holding in her hands a small golden globe: her
feet crushing a serpent. Coming from the open hands of
the Blessed Virgin were beautiful rays of light and at that
same moment St. Catherine heard a voice saying:
“These rays are symbols of graces that Mary obtains for
• Then an oval formed around the apparition and Catherine
saw, displayed in a semi-circle, this invocation, until then
« O Mary conceived without
sin pray for us who have
recourse to you »
• Then the picture turned and St. Catherine saw on the
reverse side the letter M beaten by a little cross and
below it the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary.
• Catherine then heard these words:
« Have a medal made on this model. Those who
will wear it with confidence will receive great
PLAY A QUIZ…
1. The medal that Mary asked to have made is called
“The Miraculous Medal”.
2. Mary asked for this medal in 1830.
3. Lasers come out of Mary´s hands.
PLAY A QUIZ…
4. Mary´s feet crush a serpent.
5. The prayer inscribed on the medal is: “ O Mary stripped of
sin, pray for us who have recourse to you.
6. The M with the cross above it represents the M of Mary and
reminds us that she died on a cross.
PLAY A QUIZ…
7. The heart crowned with thorns symbolizes that Jesus
was crowned with thorns before he die on the cross.
8. The heart pierced by a sword represents that Jesus´ side
was pierced by a lance when he was hanging on the
9. All around the medal there are 10 stars to represent the
PLAY A QUIZ…
10. Mary asked that her medal be distributed all over the
3. False: They are rays of light, symbol of the graces that Mary
asks God to send us.
5. False: “O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have
recourse to you”
6. False: The M and the cross are interlinked to show that
Mary and Jesus are united.
8. False: It symbolizes Mary´s suffering united to Jesus´
suffering as he accepted death in order to save us.
9. False: 12 stars to symbolize the 12 apostles.
VIDEO: ST. CATHERINE LABOURE AND
THE MIRACULOUS MEDAL: