2. “A Wedding is an Event; a Marriage is an Achievement.” Making Partner is an Event, Being a Successful Partner is an AchievementJustice Blackmun
3. To Be Successful Build a Team
4. The Challenge Think like a lawyer
5. The Challenge Young Lawyers
6. The Challenge Lawyers are: Skeptics Autonomous Lacking Social Skills Abstract Reasoners Impatient Lacking ResilienceStudies of 18 Personality Traits of Lawyers Using the "Caliper Profile" Dr. Larry Richard, Hildebrandt International
7. Why Important?“Aligning the Stars” Jay Lorsch and Thomas Tierney
8. Aligning the Stars “Starmaking” is moreimportant to a firm’s longterm success than“rainmaking” Jay Lorsch and Thomas Tierney
9. Aligning the Stars Over time the people youpay are more important thanthe people who pay you Jay Lorsch and Thomas Tierney
10. Aligning the Stars Developing a star recruit intoa seasoned star is multiyeartask Jay Lorsch and Thomas Tierney
11. Aligning the Stars In great firms . . . senior people worry as much about missing out on orlosing new talent as they do about missing out on or losing good clients. Jay Lorsch and Thomas Tierney
12. Why Important? There is a strict sequence for makingsuperior profits: Must train, energize and excite your people If you do, quality and service will be outstanding If it is, you will earn superior profits David Maister
13. Why Important? To have “Raving Fans” clients a firmmust have “Gung Ho” lawyers andstaff Ken Blanchard
14. Studies and Surveys A"ri%on Rate of New Associates in Large Law Firms (1988 -‐ 1996) Cost -‐ $300,000 per lawyer
15. Studies and Surveys A whopping 77 percent of associates leave within ﬁve years, according to NALP’s latest survey.
16. What Associates Are Saying Why do you believe associates leavetheir firms?
17. Studies and SurveysWhy Lawyers Leave andWhat May Make Them Stay?
18. Building a TeamAssociates are asking:What’s in it for me to work with ____________?
19. Building a Team Why Should a Younger AssociateWant to Work for You?
20. Building a Team Align the team goals with the individualaspirations of their players
21. Building a Team Find Motivation and Tap In
22. DelegaKon for Success Learn to Delegate
23. DelegaKon for Success Define Project and Establish Deadline
24. DelegaKon for Success Jr. Lawyer Has Training / Up-Front Training
25. DelegaKon for Success Information / Documents Necessary
26. DelegaKon for Success Open Door Policy
27. DelegaKon for Success What They Are Doing Really Matters
28. DelegaKon for Success Provide Feedback – During / After
29. DelegaKon for Success Ask What They Learned
30. Success!! You will be a successful partner by building a team that wants to helpyou help your clients.