Foot and Mouth Disease – Assessment Report
by copppldsecretariat on Dec 26, 2012
- 735 views
The objective of this investigation was to provide a technical understanding of the ...
The objective of this investigation was to provide a technical understanding of the
current Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) outbreak in Egypt and help determine the needs and USG
In the discovery process, we had very helpful collaboration from the USAID Mission staff and USDA
APHIS. My first interest was to find the centers of knowledge and control of the livestock situation. We
1. APHIS USDA Cairo. Dr. Mahmoud Orabi accompanied us on field visits and provided valuable
statistics and interpretation of animal health services and service providers in the country.
2. Ministry of Agriculture and Land Reform (MALR). Dr. Osama Selim, Chairman of the
Government Veterinary Service, provided assessments of surveillance and quarantine efforts.
Dr. Selim highlighted the need to control the outbreak.
3. The Central Laboratory for Evaluation of Veterinary Biologics1. Presented the current source of
veterinary biological made in the country (including an older strain of SAT2) and a new Bio
Safety Level 3 (BSL3) Laboratory that is under construction.
4. The Veterinary Serum & Vaccine Research Institute2: produces monovalent and bivalent FMDV
vaccines and on its way to produce a new FMDV SAT2 vaccines.
5. U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Dr. Yilma Jobre, Team Leader for FAO’s
Emergency Center for Transboundary Animal Diseases Operations in Egypt, provided a Rapid
Assessment Mission Report on FMD, links to disease watch reports, and a candid assessment
of the current ability of the Government of Egypt (GoE) to provide surveillance, manage
quarantine of animals, and respond with appropriate vaccination protocols.
I visited a technical agriculture technical school that manages small herds of dairy cattle and milking
buffalo; all animals were infected with the current FMD strain. The team learned about the ability of
the Egyptian veterinary program to manage a vaccination campaign throughout the country.
[ Originally posted on http://www.cop-ppld.net/cop_knowledge_base ]
- Total Views
- Views on SlideShare
- Embed Views