In our work we concur the values of the International
Cooperative Alliance on self-help, personal
responsibility, democracy, eguality, justice and solidarity.
To strengthen the capacity of memberbased, democratic organisations to enable women
and men in poverty to improve their living
conditions, defend their rights, and contribute to a just
Development cooperation on equal terms
At least 50 per cent of the development funding
should be spent on women
Support to cooperatives in rural areas
• Cooperatives of coffee farmers i Nicaragua have
been trained in gender equality, ecological
farming and leadership through We Effect and
our partner organisation PRODECOOP. Now
they export their coffee to Coop in Sweden.
• In Palestine, olive farmers have adopted a more
commercial approach and earn more money for
the olive oil. The percentage of members in
extreme poverty has fallen from 66% to 54%.
• In Sri Lanka, the number of farmers using
ecological farming has risen by 44% in the
cooperatives we support. Ecological farming
means both higher income and improved health.
• During 2012 a total of 780 houses and
community centres were built by housing
cooperatives in six countries in Latin America.
• In Nicaragua, the country’s housing
cooperatives have succeeded in getting
guarantees that muncipal land is made
available to build cooperative houses in
• In Sri Lanka, houses, roads and schools
destroyed in the civil war are being
reconstructed by the villagers themselves.
• A total of 71,492 women and 54,839
men had the opportunity to save
and borrow in Eastern Africa during
• In Malawi , 6,665 members
participated in 373 saving and loan
groups that managed to save up to
SEK 850, 000 (USD 130 000).
• In Zimbabwe, We Effect offer
women business training and
microcredit opportunities. So far the
project has led to 40,000 new jobs.
A new focus area: access to land
The most fundamental precondition for both
agriculture and housing is access to land.
We Effect support people in poverty to
defend, demand, and exercise their right to land.
The work of We Effect according to our
• Rural development and agriculture
• Housing cooperatives
• Access to land
Gender equality and financial services are also
priorities in our work.
Successful poverty reduction
Our main focus
• Democracy and commercial approach
• Knowledge and resources
• Experience and innovation
We Effect - 55 years of expericence
To be successful we have to :
• Work closely together with our member
• Be seen and heard in our advocacy and
fundraising work towards the Swedish public.
Project expenses by geographic allocation