The dome shape has been around in
architecture and design for hundred
of years. Most of the prominent
architectural structures in the world
have dome and vaulted shapes. The
shape of the dome is based on
spherical geometry and represents
one of nature's performance
elements : the shell.
* It is the most stable
* When force is applied,
it transfers the load
horizontally to the
surface, equally and
* When it shakes,it moves as one unit as in
* In our design , steel frame has been used
for the dome.
• A geodesic dome is a spherical or partial
spherical shell structure based on a network
of great circles or geodesics on the surface of
• The geodesics intersect to form triangular
elements that have local triangular rigidity and
also distribute the stress across the structure.
• When completed to form a complete sphere,
it a geodesic sphere.
• Rise-to-span ratio of the dome designed here
is 0.50 (height being 10m and span being
Structural Features of the Design for
earthquake resistance and Novelty :
• Geodesic Dome is being used.
• Shear walls are provided at the notches of
the dome and also at the parallel rear wall.
• Pile foundation is being provided.
• Diagonal balancing of column and shear