3 Tips from The Walking Dead on Creating Engaging Content
• The Walking Dead recently premiered to agroundbreaking 12.3 million viewers on AMC,according to Nielsen ratings.• People tune into their favorite televisionprograms week after week.• If we engage them with our content, we canget readers to return again and again as well.
So what elements made “The Walking Dead” so addicting?1. The “Don’t Make Me Think” Syndrome2. Interactive Content3. The Reptilian Brain
1. The “Don’t Make Me Think” SyndromeWe know that the average attention span of an internetuser is 1-5 seconds. • To put this into perspective, the attention span for a gold fish is 9 seconds. • This means we have to catch the reader’s attention quickly.
1. The “Don’t Make Me Think” SyndromeAs content creators, we want to plan how our contentunfolds so that people have to think as little as possible.Unlike novels and short stories, we don’t have time forexposition. Jump straight to the action – or the point ofyour piece. • Filter out unnecessary content • Make the content digestible
2. Interactive ContentThe producers of The Walking Dead incorporate socialmedia in every episode. You can vote in polls, viewinteractive content, and participate in contests that arerelated to each episode.Interactive content will continue to dominate in 2013.Use interaction through: • Smart phones • Tablets • Laptops • Trivia • Flash polls
2. Interactive Content Internet users love interaction and it enriches the user experience.• Statistics show us that 57% of Facebook users regularly share posts from brands they “Like” with their friends.• Are you making it possible for people to share your content?
3. The Reptilian BrainThe characters on “The Walking Dead” all embody the“Reptilian Brain.” In other words, they always think interms of life or death.Internet users work the exact same way. When they seecontent, their reptilian brain asks two questions:1. Is it dangerous?2. Is it interesting?
3. The Reptilian BrainIf neither of those answers is a yes, then we ignore it.Thus, we want to ensure that our content is interestingand targeted towards our ideal audience.We can make content dangerous by revealing a“problem” (that your brand/product can fix, of course).
3 Tips from The Walking Dead on Creating Engaging ContentNext week, millions of viewers will be tuning into “TheWalking Dead”.Will you employ these strategies to have readers returnto your content as well?
Content Equals Money is a content writingservice that serves a wide variety of clients withtop-shelf shareable content. We cater to SEOmarketing agencies as well as small business,providing content marketing strategiesapplicable to many fields. Whether youneed content for yourself or content for yourclients, Content Equals Money is theinsource writing service to suit your needs!