1. Over the course of our project, we have used many kinds of media technology, all of which have helped us create products of professional quality.
2. HDV Camera Mobile Phone Tripod iPod iMac USB/Hard Drive Final Cut Express Canon DSLR LiveType Blogger Adobe Photoshop YouTube Microsoft Excel Wordle Microsoft PowerPoint Slideshare Prezi Flip Video Camera
3. For our A2 coursework, we had access to HDV Camera, which increased the quality of the footage and also enabled to be more creative.The HDV Camera records onto a tape, which is a safe way of capturing the footage, and held up to one hour of recordings.Additionally, the camera allowed us to alter the focus manually, something that we couldn’t do previously. We feel as though we used the camera’sfunctions well and created a music video that displayed the capabilities of the technology.Moreover, it also increased the quality of the video when uploaded to YouTube, as it could be viewed in High Definition. A change in focus was used in this shot.
4. The tripod was a vital component of our project as it allowed us to achieve a steady shot, which is part of the criteria for our music video.Additionally, we were able to pan with relative ease and change the height and angle of our shots quickly and efficiently.The tripod was mainly used for the construction aspect of the project, although it was used to film our audience research and feedback. Me using a tripod when filming.
5. The iMac was another key component in our project, as it enabled us to research past music videos and our artist, edit and upload our own video and record our progress throughout the duration of the process.iMacs can contain up to 2TB of memory, meaning that we did not have to worry about the amount of footage, images and documents we were placing onto the machine. This was beneficial to us and we were able to be as creative as possible as we knew the iMac could hold all of the footage.The iMac also holds a number of different applications, including Safari, Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop and Final Cut Express. Without it, we would not be able to have completed our project. Me editing our music video using an iMac and Final Cut Express
6. Final Cut Express was used frequently during our project, as we edited our audience research, audience feedback, preliminary exercise and our actual video.For the preliminary exercise, we learnt how to use split screen, which we considering using for our actual video.We also edited vertically, making use of the layers feature of the software, which meant we could easily switch between the different footage we had.Additionally, we also used the ‘Colour Corrector‘ option to enhance the montage section of our video. This allowed us to boost the contrast and saturation, as well as altering the overall colour of the clip.
7. LiveType was only used to produce the title for our music video.By using LiveType, we met the criteria of the coursework, and consequently created a better music video.
8. At the beginning of our project, we experimented with editing video in Photoshop, although we did not pursue this option.However, Photoshop enabled us to create the titles for the music video, as well as the digipak and magazine advert.By getting to grips with the many features of Photoshop, we were able to create two products that we feel are of a professional standard.Moreover, our knowledge of the software meant that we had no limits or restrictions in terms of what we could or couldn’t do regarding our designs.
9. Microsoft Excel was used to create a schedule for our filming sessions, and meant we could work quickly and efficiently.
10. Microsoft PowerPoint gave us another medium to display our work.By using PowerPoint, we were able to visually present our work, as well as being able to upload it to the internet to then place on our blogs.
11. SlideShare is an online piece of software which allows us to upload PowerPoint presentations and embed them into our blog.This gives us another way to present our ideas and research, which benefitted our project.A list ofpresentations Ihave uploaded viamy account. Two ofthese were fromlast year’sproject, whilst oneis placed on mymusic video blog.
12. Prezi is another way in which we can present our work.The presentations created are different from PowerPoint as the presentation is animated, and can hold pictures and videos.The presentations can also be embedded into other websites, including our blogs. This is a screengrab of a Prezi that I created.
13. When the HDV Camera was not available, we used a Flip Video Camera to film.The Flip Video Camera was used for our audience research and digipak analysis.By using the Flip Video Camera, we were able to film certain aspects of our research and planning when we wanted, thus not limiting our project in anyway.Additionally, the in-camera USB port meant that we could quickly upload our footage, and begin editing it. Two images showing the Flip Video Camera and some footage we captured during a filming session.
14. Aside from the communication capabilities which were used to plan our filming sessions, the camera on our phones captured images as evidence of our work, which were then put on our blog.Our phones also had the song on, which we then played and lip-syncing along too. A photo captured from a mobile phone.
15. Prior to many of our filming sessions, we used our iPods to check certain things.One of these was the weather, as we needed to know what to expect when filming, and adjust our plans accordingly.We also used our iPods to check locations and routes when travelling, particularly on the tube.This allowed us to work quickly and make the most of our time.
16. A USB or portable hard drive was vital in our project.By using a USB or hard drive, we were able to take our files from school to home, or vice versa. This allowed us to make use of our time outside of the classroom, and finish the digipak and advert quickly.Moreover, the portable hard drive had a capacity of 500GB which meant that we could transfer all our files with ease. This is my USB and portable hard drive, both of which we used.
17. For our digipak and advertisement, we had to take pictures, which meant using a still camera.Instead of using a compact digital camera, we decided to use a DSLR camera, which gave us more flexibility when being creative.This enabled us to create two products of a high standard, as the foundations for them were strong. An image taken with my DSLR camera, which is used to create our advert
18. In order for us to present our research, planning and construction work, we had to use Blogger.As Blogger could host SlideShare presentations, YouTube videos, images and more, it was the ideal platform to present our work.Furthermore, it acted as inspiration for us in the latter stages of our project, as we could look back over our initial work.
19. YouTube was our main source of research, as it is host to thousands of music videos.We also used it for tutorials regarding Final Cut Express and its many functions.Without this website, we feel as though our music video would not maintain or develop any conventions, as we would not have been informed of them. Furthermore, we would have severely lacked in terms of inspiration, as most of it was gained from the site.
20. Wordle was an additional way we could present our information, and was used in the analysis of our surveys.By showing information is the visual way, it is easier to which the most common answer and therefore easier to come to a conclusion.
21. In conclusion, it is evident that we used a wide range of new technologies throughout our project.We used them to: Inspire us Aid us Quicken the process Challenge us artistically Present our work in a variety of ways