1. Media Studies – Magazine Evaluation Connor Kelly
2. In what ways does your media product use, developer challenge forms and conventions of real media products? I have followed the conventions of Real on the market music magazines and tried to make similarities between ‘Mainstream Music’ and magazines like Hip Hop connection, VIBE and XXL. Who are all popular music magazine with their own way of appealing there genre to there audience so it is recognizable. You can see in the two pictures that my magazines challenges the forms and conventions of the ‘ on the market’ magazine as VIBE and Mainstream music have same layout.They have the same type of picturewith the pose and then cover linesaround the main image. I have alsochallenged VIBE magazine as wehave similar color schemes usingBold and bright colour to attractthe audience. The red, white, blackand bits of yellow make the twomagazines look identical.
3. How does your media represent particular social groups?• In Mainstream music I think I have represented social groups by the genre of music I have picked. I have picked two types of genres in this magazine them being Hip-hop and R’n’B and they are quite similar. I have represented this through the conventions shown in my magazine with the different appealing font to attract the audience and especially with the picture where the model has a pose like in professional magazine of this genre. An unusual background and the costume that the model wears contributes to the professional look of this genre of magazine.
4. What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?
5. Who would be the audience for your media product?• The Target audience for my magazine would be young people mainly between 14 – 25 years old. As well as targeting an age group the magazine also target people who like the R’n’B and Hip Hop genre of music. So this magazine is aimed at a specific age group along with followers of a specific genre. I have tried to use specific fonts, pictures and layouts on the magazine to try and capture the eye of the target audience as they would look at the magazine and see that it appealed to there favorite genre if music. I learned the ways the picture are took, the type of fonts and the look of the layout from the research part of the project as these magazine have worked in capturing there target audience.
6. How did you attract/address your audience? I think I attracted my target audience using such techniques as the font, colours, layouts and picture throughout my magazine, m target audience was for people between 14 to 25 years old and people who have a particular interest in R’n’B and Hip-Hop. The model on the front cover pulls a pose which is him pointing out of the magazine and targeting the audience by pointing at them.I think the picture, colours and the font styleappeals to the audience. The picture represents aupcoming music style who looks cool and laid backwhich can represent to my audience as they cansee him as a role model. I used attention grabbinglanguage and cover lines that make people want toopen up and read the magazines by giving thehints to what is inside the magazine.
7. What have you learnt about technologies from the process constructing this product?In the production of making my final product I used suchtechnologies like Paint and Photoshop. I improved the finalpictures on the magazine as some of the pictures straight offthe camera looked quite dull and boring. They needed to bebrighter so I did this by using paint and Photoshop. I also usedpaint to crop and edit some of the photos on the magazine as Ithought they needed changing before they could be put in tothe magazine. With pictures being one of the main featuresabout my magazine felt that I had to change the quality of thepicture and this made a dramatic difference to the finaloutcome of my magazine, I have also learnt how to use a Macduring the use of coursework as this has helped me develop ahigh quality professional product.
8. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?